Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro suffereing sh**e speeds tonite?

• 07-03-2006 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

I live in finglas and tonite the speeds are just downright awful. Have a 3M line and www.irishisptest.com says i'm only getting about 600k. Rubbish. Pages are slow and downloads average at 0.7kbps!!

When you call support and listen to current voicemails they state there are problems in the dublin area that is affecting customers and they're looking at it.....

Can't wait till magnet arrive in april. Smart lost out cos they're too lazy to come to finglas just yet...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you read other threads on Metro you will see that the irishisptest is VERY inaccurate.

Try www.bbc.co.uk www.theregister.co.uk and downloads from ftp.heanet.ie or www.heanet.ie

I find sometimes a particular site can be much slower than dialup but other sites blindingly fast.

You can't make blanket statements about performance without testing against a wide range of sites.

If you are changing ISP wait untill 6 months after they arrive in a new area :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

But what are they like for gaming. Im concidering Metro as an alternitice to IBB causse I cant game at all on IBB.

Do the bad speeds equal bad pings and that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Spooky: At the moment the connection is extremely unreliable.
    (I'm in Phibsboro - connected to 3 rock)

When it works, it's an outstanding service - constant download/upload speeds, pings to irish servers <15ms....
    But when it (more often than not) doesn't work, it's an absolute nightmare. For example, every night for the past week or two, latency has been at ridiculous levels - we're talking between 50ms, and 2500ms to irish servers. they refuse to guarantee low pings, which they are right to do (even if I would argue that they should have to guarantee them - but that's for another thread) but have been accomodating when problems have arisen.

I'm not sure as to the exact cause of the recent high pings, ping spikes, packetloss and degrading speeds, but it's put some of the boards users into bad moods over it - and rightly so.

I'd say steer clear of Metro for a month or two - they're doing a big hardware upgrade in about 2 weeks apparantly. When that's done, maybe then we'll see the service we expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you are on the IBB with the little plastic indoor aerial on the box, like a Wifi adaptor, then nearly anything is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭lifegamer

watty wrote:
    If you read other threads on Metro you will see that the irishisptest is VERY inaccurate.

Never knew that to be a problem! Thanks for the info. I'll try other sites and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

zoro wrote:
    Spooky: At the moment the connection is extremely unreliable.
    (I'm in Phibsboro - connected to 3 rock)

When it works, it's an outstanding service - constant download/upload speeds, pings to irish servers <15ms....
    But when it (more often than not) doesn't work, it's an absolute nightmare. For example, every night for the past week or two, latency has been at ridiculous levels - we're talking between 50ms, and 2500ms to irish servers. they refuse to guarantee low pings, which they are right to do (even if I would argue that they should have to guarantee them - but that's for another thread) but have been accomodating when problems have arisen.

I'm not sure as to the exact cause of the recent high pings, ping spikes, packetloss and degrading speeds, but it's put some of the boards users into bad moods over it - and rightly so.

I'd say steer clear of Metro for a month or two - they're doing a big hardware upgrade in about 2 weeks apparantly. When that's done, maybe then we'll see the service we expect.

They sound just like IBB tBH, even IBB used to care in the early days. Also this whole upgeade thing sounds like IBB also. They say they are getting an upgrade, then it comes things work for a while till they get more punters then it goes bad and they need another upgrade. I may stay where I am till magnet or NTL come my way im thinking now.

Advertisement