Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xbox problem

• 08-03-2006 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

hey hey ok long story short my friend is giving me his fuxed xbox and im going to try having a repair go so what happens is when he turns it on it blinks red and green doesnt try and boot 3 times that i know of but would a fix be as easy as using a different bios bank or modchip? btw though the manual says it its not overheating! because he had it off like +4hours and nothini really wanna fix this for myself as he said i can keep it in exchange for something of value and i have a load of xbox games from my old broken console
    help greatly apreciated
    thanks
    sean

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Does it show an error message onscreen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

no video afaik also i forgot to mention this box is fully stock never opened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

The problem you have is called a "Frag". Is your xbox already modified. If so, most likely problem is that one of the solder points is loose. If you take a look on www.xbox-scene.com and do a search for frag on the forums you should find the answer you need.

as i said its not a frag it doesnt try to boot three times and its never been opened

Sorry, i didn't see the doesn't. Still though take a search through xbox-scene

• Advertisement

These two threads might be helpful. However they don't give an explanation when your xbox is flashing red/green and it doesn't reboot. You say that it "doesnt try and boot 3 times that i know". If it is trying to reboot then you'll hear the hard or dvd drive kick in a few times (can't remember which), each kick signifying a reboot. Take a look here and here. What the threads state is that your xbox may be fixable with a modchip or it maybe the case that your motherboard is shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Chip it, replace the hdd, kiss XboxLive goodbye unless he does a stealth install.
    IE. install the modded dashboards, apps etc. to the F: partition, leave the C: and E: partitions untouched, set modchip to boot from F:\unleashx.xbe etc.
    When he wants to play on Live, turn off the modchip and the xbox will boot into the M$ dash.
    Course, a 2nd hand xbox costs under 100euro, but mod it anyways.

do i HAVE to change the hdd or what?

If you want a stealth install, yeah, I think so.
    Otherwise you can install the new dash on C:

SyxPak wrote:
    Chip it, replace the hdd, kiss XboxLive goodbye unless he does a stealth install.
    IE. install the modded dashboards, apps etc. to the F: partition, leave the C: and E: partitions untouched, set modchip to boot from F:\unleashx.xbe etc.
    When he wants to play on Live, turn off the modchip and the xbox will boot into the M$ dash.

So what your saying is. That if he replaces the HD and installs a chip his xbox will be fixed. I think your talking through your ar*e tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

could it be that he dropped the xbox and something is lose on the inside? Try a different hard drive?(ghost the xbox one to a fresh one)

Does it always come down to the chip with xbox's?

red_ice wrote:
    could it be that he dropped the xbox and something is lose on the inside? Try a different hard drive?(ghost the xbox one to a fresh one)

Does it always come down to the chip with xbox's?

According to the threads I linked to on xbox-scene. They figure it usually comes down to either the Nvidia graphics chip gone bust, a bad bios dump or solder traces on the board . Because this xbox hasn't been opened its most like the two former options. A modchip could fix the middle option. I've gotten the red/green flashing before and it was always down to not soldering a modchip correctly. However in this case there is no modchip and no rebooting. I think the most anyone could say on this is just give a modchip a try and see does it work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

Dont flame me for this, it has to be asked. Are you sure it's not flashing green/orange? That would mean the AV cable is plugged out...just checking

qBot wrote:
    So what your saying is. That if he replaces the HD and installs a chip his xbox will be fixed. I think your talking through your ar*e tbh.
    Really?
    qBot wrote:
    What the threads state is that your xbox may be fixable with a modchip or it maybe the case that your motherboard is shot.
    qBot wrote:
    I think the most anyone could say on this is just give a modchip a try and see does it work.

The ironing is particularly delicious this time of year.

I didn't say he *had* to get a new hard-drive. It's obviously optional, but it's still A Good Idea™ - funds permitting.

I was just suggesting he may want to try a modchip, or pickup a second xbox if it's convenient. Doesn't take much to solder a pinheader into both and test the modchip - but you're right - the xbox hasn't been opened so it may well be corrupted. A modchip may help (don't see how a softmod could be performed in this case), and having a modded xbox (soft/hard) is generally A Good Idea™

SyxPak wrote:

Look, I don't see the point in starting a flame. It completely undermines the whole thread. weeder is asking for help and not a fight. However, can you please tell me how the above statement is a suggestion or even an answer. His Xbox is broken and your telling him to install a modchip a new hd and a softmod. The softmod has no bearing on whether the xbox will function or not (As you've stated yourself in a later post). So your overcomplicating and confusing the thread.

As for having my head up my arse. Can you please tell me how this is the case? I've been attempting to help weeder. I've also been polite in my responses. Except in my response to you. You were simply trying to show off the fact that you know something about modifying xboxs and your post wasn't helpful at all. I wasn't being arrogant. I was pointing out possible solutions and backing my comments up with relevant sources. As opposed to you backing up your comments with silly pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

qBot take a chill pill, everyone's entitled to their say. If you dont like it then ignore it or at least be polite otherwise all you'll achieve is a flame war (AKA a really sad nerd fight).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

I agree that trying a modchip may sort it out. Its worth a try.

your all going crazy and i dont even have the xbox yet
    but one thing i must say is that im no n00b to the interns of an xbox and softmodding an xbox now if its anything below a 1.5 i should be able to solder 2 wires on the mobo and use another bios bank

i havent used my xbox or an xbox modding forum in about a year since it died when i lifted a trace so im not 100% sure howto fix a coma console i remember it being on llama.com best xbox site tbh

i was just onto my friend he says Fan turns on and dies out, there is a click, fan turns on again and it flashes red+orange tries to boot twice

Advertisement