Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3com Wireless help

• 08-03-2006 1:00am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Recently ( as in today) bought a laptop with a 802.11g 3com wireless card.

I have a Linksys WRT54g router. The card connects to the router, at a speed of 54.0mbps, and so on. But it will not actually let me go to any sites, I just get the 'The page you requested is not available offline' and gives me the option to connect or stay offline. If I click connect, it says no internet connection is not available.

Any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Can you ping anything?

Can you connect to the router from the laptop? By connect i mean login etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Can't connect to the router , not sure how to ping anything :(

(bit of a wireless noob).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Silverfish wrote:
    Recently ( as in today) bought a laptop with a 802.11g 3com wireless card.

I have a Linksys WRT54g router. The card connects to the router, at a speed of 54.0mbps, and so on. But it will not actually let me go to any sites, I just get the 'The page you requested is not available offline' and gives me the option to connect or stay offline. If I click connect, it says no internet connection is not available.

Any ideas??

Few quick questions:

Is DHCP setup on router?
    Is the network key input into the laptop config?
    Is the laptop picking up the default gateway from the router (normally the routers IP)?
    What browser are you using IE? Firefox? Opera? (Sounds like IE from the Offline malarky)

Post up what you can find out.

Is DHCP setup on router? Yes

Is the network key input into the laptop config? Yes
    Is the laptop picking up the default gateway from the router (normally the routers IP)? Its saying yes,and shows an ip address. However, I tried the MSN messenger sign in troubleshooter just as a last ditch effort and it said the default gateway appeared to be offline. The other laptop user in the house has no trouble connecting however.

What browser are you using IE? Firefox? Opera? (Sounds like IE from the Offline malarky) Browser is IE.

• Advertisement

I've done all this, the laptop is definitely picking up the router signal,

On the wireless connection status it shows:

Network : (network name)
    Speed: 54.0Mbps
    Signal Strength : Full

I'm lost after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Obviously, check with another browser if available & ensure you're not Working Offline (File -> Work Offline should NOT be ticked.)

Start -> run -> cmd -> ipconfig /all
    [Copy and post the output if further assistance is required.]

Note the Default Gateway.
    Still @ command prompt:
    ping ipaddressofdefaultgateway
    Copy and post the output.

ping www.google.ie

ping 216.239.59.104

Em, I fixed it.

There was another 'Internet Connections' in the control panel, as well as network connections- which shows laptop as being connected -so when I fiddled about with that it worked.

Or something.

Advertisement