Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metal Bars ???????????

• 08-03-2006 1:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Dublin is in need of a good metal bar . seriously !!

The last time i was in bruxells ........... well need i say any more . they need a new dj !

we need somewhere that plays some new s*** and not those mix tapes of 80's metal . there has been an improvement lately but it doesnt do justice .

WHY !!

:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

This has been discussed plenty of times recently, do a search of the forum and you'll find plenty of threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭kkposse

I wish we had a club in Dublin like the borderline club in London!!!:D i.e good cutting edge metal tunes!! not old air guitar bruxelles 80's crap!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭gokgok

the angry youth have spoken. Make it so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Maybe there are people who want to listen to the classic (i.e. better) metal. If your so concerned, then get a group of people together, rent out a venue, some can be got for less than 200 a night, and hold a night of the kind of music you think is lacking every week or so, instead of sitting around moaning. With a group of about 10 people chipping in it wouldnt be that expensive, especially if the venue had its own DJ equipment which many do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

and yet Dublin has

Bruxelles (for lets face it the older generation like me, Dr J and others)
    Fibbers (for the angry younger generation)
    Helvete (http://www.myspace.com/helvetemetalclub)

and for those who remember and want to lament with me
    Charlies - quite possibly the greatest rock bar Dublin ever had :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭kkposse

fibbers is a joke, they need to get a decent D.J......why not play classic rock and death/black metal in bruxelles and let the air guitar heroes do their stuff, keep the goths happy down in dominion, and lets have some tool, deftones, machinehead, NIN, R.A.T.M, Pantera, Korn, Clutch, Reel Big Fish, Ignite, Fear Factory, S.O.A.D, Cypress Hill, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Sick of it all, i.e good intelligent metal/hardcore/:) punk tunes

hey you cant please all the people all of the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

kkposse wrote:
    and lets have some tool, deftones, machinehead, NIN, R.A.T.M, Pantera, Korn, Clutch, Reel Big Fish, Ignite, Fear Factory, S.O.A.D, Cypress Hill, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Sick of it all, i.e good intelligent metal/hardcore/:) punk tunes

Reel Big Fish? Yeah, they're reel hardcore!

And it's funny you mention it, because all of those bands get played frequently in fibbers. Except for that Reel Big Fish jargon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭moshmonkey666

kkposse wrote:
    fibbers is a joke, they need to get a decent D.J......why not play classic rock and death/black metal in bruxelles and let the air guitar heroes do their stuff, keep the goths happy down in dominion, and lets have some tool, deftones, machinehead, NIN, R.A.T.M, Pantera, Korn, Clutch, Reel Big Fish, Ignite, Fear Factory, S.O.A.D, Cypress Hill, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Sick of it all, i.e good intelligent metal/hardcore/:) punk tunes

WHAT??????? thats nu-metal/pop punk and cock rock all in one!!! the 3 possible worst genre's in music, rap, hip hop, dance and pop do not count as music! but seriously, WHAT??? normally im not one to bitch but man, seriously, get educated in real punk and real metal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

WHAT??????? thats nu-metal/pop punk and cock rock all in one!!! the 3 possible worst genre's in music, rap, hip hop, dance and pop do not count as music! but seriously, WHAT??? normally im not one to bitch but man, seriously, get educated in real punk and real metal!

some of the bands he named there were some of the most intelligent, inspiring bands to ever make music. and you call it rap, and "not music".

YOU get educated in "real" music

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bbh666

you all make good points but it's the venue as well . some pubs just dont want that sorta stuff under their roofs . i have looked into it with a few of my mates but we couldnt find a decent venue . as for music why dont any of the djs in the venues that are there already compromise ? i can see knacker drinkin comin back with a vengance :D

what sort of stuff? the music you have half described is played in Brux or Fibbers.

Brux plays everything from the 70's onwards, you either have to ask for it or bring in a cd, like we all do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yeah, you can get just about anything you want in Bruxelles. They have no real prejudices about what they play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭moshmonkey666

some of the bands he named there were some of the most intelligent, inspiring bands to ever make music. and you call it rap, and "not music".

YOU get educated in "real" music

you misunderstand as i forgot a full stop! nu-metal, pop punk and cock rock are the 3 worst genre's, pop, rap and dance are not music genre's! there, i have my education in real punk, real metal, classical, country and folk! and the education never stops as there is always something new!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭fleshmechanic

Is it me or has bruxelles gone downhill in the talent department. A lot of the girls i see in there look like men..........:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

If you're going to metal bars in search of talent, you need your head examined....

If you're going to metal bars in search of talent, you need your head examined....

aye cause all the best talent is already gone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭gokgok

If your so concerned, then get a group of people together, rent out a venue, some can be got for less than 200 a night, and hold a night of the kind of music you think is lacking every week or so, instead of sitting around moaning. With a group of about 10 people chipping in it wouldnt be that expensive, especially if the venue had its own DJ equipment which many do.

Thats what me and a mate did. We do the last friday of the month in the intenational bar called Rock Jihad. We decided to do it monthly because a weekly club would be a pain to organise after a while. The music we play varies from punk to rock to metal mostly of the vintage kind because thats what we like. We get someone in to guest dj(from a local band or one of our mates) that we know will be playing something different to us.

A lot of pubs will give you a room if they think that it'll be full of people drinking their heads off, so all you have to do is hire a PA and decks if you don't have them. All you have to do is do a collection near the end of the night and people cough up a couple of quid if it's a good night and that covers your costs.

The more

again Helvete was started up in this way (well it was really cause one guy was barred from Fibbers and Brux and decided to start his own metal bar)

Its not overly successful, but it does chug along, offering drink promotions and occasional live bands (something that only Fibbers does at the moment)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Akaonimark

So what exactly is this Helvete place like anyway? Gettin pissed off with fibbers and brux.....

• Advertisement

I have never been, however I know people who do go there and love it and who go there and dont like it.

Check the link for it I posted on page1 and then go along when its open and make your own mind up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Akaonimark wrote:
    So what exactly is this Helvete place like anyway? Gettin pissed off with fibbers and brux.....

I've been twice.. Its kind of like sitting in your sitting room listening to metal! Really small & intimate. Not my cup of tea, but most of the people there seemed to be having a good time. Most of people there were under 26, so I felt quite old!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Agent Steel

Helvete is a great place. Drink promos, occassional bands, extreme music, sound folk. The only reason it isn't overly successful is because peoples loyalty lies with other pubs. I'd definitely suggest giving it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

kkposse wrote:

rofl.jpg

Seriously though, with the exception of Tool and NIN... Intelligent?! Or even, Good!? :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

rofl.jpg

Seriously though, with the exception of Tool and NIN... Intelligent?! Or even, Good!? :D:D

RATM were rather god in their day:)

Never been a fan of RATM I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Rage are bloody great!!! at least their first album was ... needn't mention anything else.

Must b e coming up to nearly ten years since charlies closed ... maybe should organise a charlies appreciation night .. go down to the capital, stand around where the tv used to be ... put up some zebra wallpaper ... drink snakebite and black .. . sigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Never been a fan of RATM I'm afraid.

Guess that makes em crap so.:rolleyes:

Davei141 wrote:
    Guess that makes em crap so.:rolleyes:

From my perspective, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Cactus Col wrote:
    Rage are bloody great!!! at least their first album was ...

Aye, Prayer Of Steel is a truly classic album

Advertisement