Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Outage

• 08-03-2006 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm a new digiweb customer (yesterday) and there was a major outage yesterday evening.
    I tried calling them but their phones must have been out too.
    Is this a common thing with digiweb?
    I'm a DSL customer in Laois.

BTW sending this over a Magnet connection, didn't go with them for the office because of their line rental charge to my house connected by esb fibre.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Yes it is fairly common and they just don't answer ANY of their phonelines when said outage occurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭jjmax

feck!
    Another bunch of cowboys!

update

I don't want to go off half-cocked on this, but....
    I rang Digiweb just now, and got through to reception.
    I was looking for an update, so she put me through to Support.
    Who weren't answering the phone at that time.
    I had an email form a guy at Digiweb during the account setup phase.
    I asked to speak to him.
    He took the call (fair play) and was helpful as he could be.
    I asked about yesterday's outage and was this common.
    To his knowledge it wasn't.
    I quoted fade2black (as a boards moderator) and he said this hasn't happened in months.
    I asked about a cancellation fee at this early stage (one day) and was told it'd be €99 ex-vat.
    He also gave me the "correct" tech-support number.
    Same story as the one I tried yesterday:
    "Press one for current network issues" - 1 - (heavily accented) "no current issues"
    "Hold to talk to tech support" - hold - cut off after one minute
    This isn't helping matters.
    I've been in touch with Netsource (who apparently are very good) and they'll transfer me if digiweb don't block it.
    Digiweb will want their €99 I reckon, there's probably no point in trying to deal with them on this or is there?
    The outage yesterday would really impact on my business if I wan't in the middle of a move.
    What do people think? Are digiweb that dodgy? Is there anyway to save that €99, maybe on grounds of bad service, goods not doing what they claim to?
    Any advice would be most welcome.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Widespread network outages on DSL is not common with Digiweb or any other Bitstream provider.

The CS tech was probably right in saying that there hasn't been any for months.

However your line might be of a bad quality and cause problems (unstability and downtime) just for you, that is common and changing provider won't help.

cheers,

this was a widespread outage apparently

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

jjmax wrote:
    this was a widespread outage apparently

Eircom do not provide ANY service level agreements on its Bitstream DSL Backhaul nor do Comreg seem to think it important or wise that Eircom offer same as part of the Bitstream process !

jjmax, you will soon find out that outages will occur with annoying regularity, some for only ten minutes some for five...some for five hours. Yesterday afternoon for instance it was down for about 2-3 hours, at which point I couldn't get any work done, or get through to digiweb. Last night it went down for about an hour (after 1am).

Many times when there's an outage and you do get through to them they'll say that everything is fine on their end and it must be a problem on yours - this is rarely the case, expecially when no changes will have been made to settings/wires/passwords or any such influences.

The fact of the matter is that regular outages do occur, just not always for long enough to show up on any radar.

I just got through to digiweb support and the guy there was able to give me the info I wanted.
    He told me the last outage was in january.
    I was a bit surprised to hear that, but he added it was a planned outage.
    Unplanned outages are rare apparently.
    I'll stick with them for a month an see how it goes, if it starts to get worse I'll move to netsource.
    They're a bit more expensive, but seem to have their act together, I picked digiweb initially because they could get me set up in 10days as opposed to 15 from netsource.
    fade2black are you with digiweb dsl or wireless? if I have the same issues as you've been having I'll go insane (more insane). The whole phone thing wrecks my head too, it's fairly basic customer service to keep your customers updated.
    watch this space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Is there any G'teed level of service on ANY adsl? I think not. Esat as was then, wouldn't agree a QOS and it was ESAT gear and unbundled line, not resold Bitstream. Business account too, not domestic.

If it was univerally reliable, or one supplier was more reliable wouldn't a QOS level be offered as marketing advantage over opposition? I guess none of them have that confidence.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Before moving to NTL Cable BB, I was with Netsource DSL. I had lots of problems with stability and outages. Specially when they first launched, it improved near the end.

NTL cable has proven to be far more stable, with little or no downtime.

• Advertisement

jjmax wrote:
    I just got through to digiweb support and the guy there was able to give me the info I wanted.
    He told me the last outage was in january.
    I was a bit surprised to hear that, but he added it was a planned outage.
    Unplanned outages are rare apparently.
    I'll stick with them for a month an see how it goes, if it starts to get worse I'll move to netsource.
    They're a bit more expensive, but seem to have their act together, I picked digiweb initially because they could get me set up in 10days as opposed to 15 from netsource.
    fade2black are you with digiweb dsl or wireless? if I have the same issues as you've been having I'll go insane (more insane). The whole phone thing wrecks my head too, it's fairly basic customer service to keep your customers updated.
    watch this space.

DSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Solorun

I had similar outage yesterday. This has happened from time to time. Usually it resolves itself after 20 mins or so. Yesterday , I first lost my DSL light on router. Then it reappeared, and all seemed well with router side of things. Still could not get through to web addresses, and seemed to have a DNS problem. Managed to contact Support, and to be fair, he was quite helpful. He supplied new DNS addresses, and the problem was sorted. I have found Digiweb to be o.k. to deal with, although as an end user we are always vulnerable to being fed a line as regards where problems lie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Solorun wrote:
    I had similar outage yesterday. This has happened from time to time. Usually it resolves itself after 20 mins or so. Yesterday , I first lost my DSL light on router. Then it reappeared, and all seemed well with router side of things. Still could not get through to web addresses, and seemed to have a DNS problem.

If you lose synch (the DSL light) the problem is 'somewhere' on your line between the ADSL Box in the exchange and the DSL box in your home....all of which is controlled by eircom.

If it keeps happening you may need to get Digiweb to raise a fault with eircom and get an engineer out.

Alternatively it could be a dodgy DSL unit in your house or dodgy wiring in your house or that new Dect phone you just bought or a loose phone in a socket upstairs .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

jjmax wrote:

I asked about a cancellation fee at this early stage (one day) and was told it'd be €99 ex-vat.
    If you really want to cancel now, there is a consumer legislation that lets you cancel a service after 14 days of installation free of charge. You could try this if you are a persistent person who won't back down. Give them loads of mumbo jumbo from a consumer website and ask to be put through to a supervisor.
    But basically you have 14 days after installation to cancel legally, because obviously you need to see what product and service your getting for your money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

been a digiweb dsl customer for about 5 months at this stage, only noticed 1 outage during that whole time, that was back in december i think. their dns servers didn't work for about 3 or 4 hours, could still access servers by IP address though.

never had any other outage with them in that time, and between 3 pcs sharing the line, there's usually at least 1 person online at anypoint of the evening from 5-midnight, so if there was an outage it would have been noticed.
    i didn't have any outage on monday evening as far as i could tell.

had to call CS once as i was trying to configure a wireless modem with the line, and even though they're not obliged to help with 3rd party products, they sorted out the problem anyway.

contract is up next month, definitely sticking with them for the forseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

I had Digiweb's dsl service in Portlaoise for over a year and I can safely say I never seen an outage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Skyuser wrote:
    If you really want to cancel now, there is a consumer legislation that lets you cancel a service after 14 days of installation free of charge. You could try this if you are a persistent person who won't back down. Give them loads of mumbo jumbo from a consumer website and ask to be put through to a supervisor.
    But basically you have 14 days after installation to cancel legally, because obviously you need to see what product and service your getting for your money.

You may want to point to some web site with those details, because the legislation is, to my knowledge, 7 day cool-off from the date of order. There's no statutory try-it-and-see period.

Advertisement