Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceilings and hollowcore slabs

Options
  • 08-03-2006 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hi,

I have installed hollowcore slabs (purchased from Spanwright) in my new two story house.

To run electrical cables etc and fix plasterboard, I was planning to use a wooden grid that would be fixed to the underside of the hollowcore slabs. This is common practice and is how I have seen it done in the past.

After talking to a friend last night, I understand that a lot of people are now replacing the wooden grid with a metal one (which is quicker and easier to install).

Has anybody out there gone for the metal grid option? I would be interested in any experiences that people have and also on the costing as well.

Thanks,

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

Too Late for you but,

I know a guy who used Kingspan Metal decking for the upper floor.

The clever thing was that he attached his timber grid to the underside of the decking before pouring the concrete using a screw gun and black hardwall screws

I was impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Breezzzzze

With the metal decking, did the floor not deflect when the concrete was poured and give a sagging ceiling? I would have expected that even with propping, there would be some deflection. The battens could be shot-fixed to the soffit of the concrete floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

if you're talking about the ground floor ceiling under the hollowcore .all i ever
    see is metal frame
    and the slabs screw up to this .we tie our cables to the hollowcore underneath to keep them off the metal with clips or ties .there isn't ordinarily much plumbing underneath it goes mostly on the screed above

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭decrrrrrr

Any recommendations on companies..?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

Breezzzzze wrote:
    With the metal decking, did the floor not deflect when the concrete was poured and give a sagging ceiling? I would have expected that even with propping, there would be some deflection. The battens could be shot-fixed to the soffit of the concrete floor.

The Decking is fairly stable but yes it does need some propping.
    It has a profile so it uses less concrete and is practially self reinforcing but i think you have to use a mesh.
    The space left by the profile leaves good space for wires and piping.

This guy thought that the screw option would be easier and cheaper than Hilti nailing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭decrrrrrr

Moing thread back to the top again...

Any recommendations on companies that fit this?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dreddredd

Hi Guys,
    On the subject of hollow core flooring. I am in the process of building a two story house, raft is down now.
    We are planning the kitchen at this stage to ensure piping and electrical is all worked out early.
    One thing that we were looking at having, is an island in the kitchen with a cooker placed on it. I just wondering what the implications are here. Not many people go down this road and always tend to have a cooker near a wall.

Some questions I had was with regards the extractor fan and where would the out lay go. I assume the extractor fan would be suspended from the ceiling, and wonder where would the out pip for the fan go?

I not to keen on the idea too much, I think if the extractor is suspended from the ceiling it may be an eye soar?

Also, while on subject of hollocore, at this early stage is there anything else I should keep an open eye on now?

Has anyone any tips on this.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

decrrrrrr wrote:
    Moing thread back to the top again...

Any recommendations on companies that fit this?

I used Gypsum, but Knauff do a similar version. For installers just look in the golden pages for drylining/suspended ceiling installers. Not that difficult to install, I did my own, took a while but saved a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

Apologies for hijacking.

Dreddredd,

there is an extractor that is mounted into the island unit itself and extracts through a pipe in the floor. ( I think that it was posted on this forum ) I think it was an AEG unit, it rises out of the island and retracts when not in use.

Another idea is to incorporate a radiator or kickspace heater into the island. They are great for having heat at your feet whilst having your breakfast

Advertisement