Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Galway LAN Timeframe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

and here you go

http://www.galwaylan.com/signup.html

if you are as brave as to try it now you will probably notice that it doesn't work. this is simple, Its only a test page for the minute, as with the contact us and registration pages they work, but are disabled since the back end of the site is still being coded. once i get round to sorting out the database and ifnishing the java code all the rest will work........ hopefully...... be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

no QW sorry

ah I see about the deposit now, nice idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Woah.

Cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I like it. could we use the sign up username and password from r101, instead of signing up twice... would be really cool...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Sign-ups are final, if you sign up your are confirming that you shall have the game and current patches up to date and will forfit your deposit of €10 if you brake these terms

I think this idea will limit the number of games people will enter and detract from the lan. But thats just my view.

As for dates June 9th-11th suits me fine.

• Advertisement

sorry if that was a bit misleading, but its not €10 per game, but €10 for registration. if your machines works perfectly then you will get the 10 back. if not, the money shall be put into a pool /hat /whatever and a competition game picked by the admins can be played for winner takes all. or else maybe divided up and given out as prizes, have yet to decide.
    Rory, thats what im hoping to do, for the time being it only has the nickname and email fields so it can work with the php mail router but what i'd love to happen (and hopefully will get it done before the event if i dont get bogged down in college work) is have a carbon copy of the r101 usernames for the site. i need to talk to eric though about accessing the r101 database and porting a few of the tables onto our own back end.

hopefully, all going well i'll be able to create something that will comply with what the lads going to the r101 meeting are looking to achieve.
    theres gonna be a fair bit of behind the scenes work though, so for the time being im concentrating on creating a user front end and an administrators front end for ourselfs to manage the site. basically my own programmed CMS.

It's alot of work but someone has to do it :D

[edit] i just got what you mean't arginite, if people are willing not to be lazy then i can't really see fault in the system, like yee all have heard us bl33t on about in the past, we dont want to hold peoples hands when they have problems, this will hopefully just enable them to pull the finger out, but if they dont care it benefits the people who do as they can win the money. if the community would prefer we can make it so that only people who didn't break the t&c of competition entry can be eligible to win the money.
    like i said, everybodys thoughts are welcome'd on this.[/edit]

I'm not entirely sure about using the reg money (deposit yeah?) as prize money, considering the wide gulf in skills between most attendees and the small number of ninja cheetar skumm. ie. I know I wouldn't be too keen on paying an extra tenner to register for comps in a lan I've already paid 30euro for. That's strayng a little too far into Sucking Satan's Cock/Coca-Cola territory for me.
    I'm not against cash prizes, as long as they come from the entry fee.
    Hardware-wise we're doing ok, there'll always be things we need to save up for - cat6 pre-crimped cable being the next thing we have to buy - so it would be something we might want to try out.
    Tying tourny results into the online room101 system would be pretty cool perhaps, or even just our own local one, team/individual scoring - there may be an open-source project/somebody's code to do that already.
    This is all stuff that needs to be discussed at the room101 meet saturday week.

HINT.

FRACKING.

HINT.

.bitches.

Just to make it cear for those of you in the cheapseats at the back, I was joking about ninja cheetar skumm. Ye ha3v teh n0e n1nja ski11z!!!1 winkk.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I know it sounds wrong coming from me, but I think cash prizes would change the direction GalwayLAN is going - ie make it alot more serious - people would come specifically to play for the money. Perhaps this is the way you're trying to go, and if any of the games involved the letter "q" you could fairly safely wager I'd be competing, but personally, I don't think that's what a LAN like this one should turn into?

But I'm not an admin.

However, giving extra money from deposits, to Dave (this one), is a fantastic idea, and would not deteriorate from anyone's langoing experience whatsoever.
    Just ****ing do it already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Get To The Chopper!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Doodee wrote:
    if your machines works perfectly then you will get the 10 back. if not, the money shall be put into a pool /hat /whatever
    Ok I think I get where this is coming from now and it makes sense. But here it cums what if your are asked to make up numbers in the cs comp and agree to, but dont have cs setup you will still get your deposit back?
    Fobia wrote:
    but I think cash prizes would change the direction GalwayLAN is going - ie make it alot more serious - people would come specifically to play for the money.
    I have to agree with this, I would prefer to play for other prizes other than money.

Arg: in that case you would still get your deposit back since you are doing a favour to the competition entrants and not ****ing people around.

John, i have no idea where you are getting the whole corporation thing from. the money isn't going to be taken from people unless they **** up, in which case they are admitting liability. that means they pay €40 for the lan, but get that €10 back if they have fully working machines and patches. we wont be taking money off people if its our fault something doesn't work. also, i dont think that money should be spent on lan equipment since its not there to profit the lan, its there to make everyones time well spent.
    also, as i said before, the game for any prize money (remember, it could be €40 it could only be €10/€0) is something the admins can choose like avp or something for fun like mariokart, not a serious comp.

Its simply a precautionary measure. I do not want to go and fix peoples games again like i had to last time, or re-enter teams into the generator cause people went to get food or their machine wasn't working. it caused a huge delay when we were trying to get the bf2 comp going last time, and only really got sorted once sniipe arrived to help people with problems downstairs.
    In case you weren't there, there was a 2 hour delay in getting the competition going, that was 2 hours of me having to re-enter players onto the intranetsite and re schuffle teams.

Quetz, i have wanted to run a cash event for quite some time, just to make the lan a bit interesting, but i dont want games that are unfair to others either. good players can make all the difference in events, and really good players can just make it downright unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

SO if you dont sign up for any contests do youhave to pay the deposit?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Cash warcraft III:TFT tournament.
    "kk thx no re"

yes drake but that also means u cant be eligible to play in any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

when is the next gway lan mite head down...

Evd...

Provisional Date: 9th-11th June.

DooDee - could we confirm this asap?

you have a phone yourself dont you? :p

right, provisionally booked

Yes, but I spend my day working, not frittering it away on education and the like.

yes yes, let us all forget your attempts at education :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

Last lan I was at, my core kept overheating and my comp freezing.
    Say, if I went to this lan and that happened again and I was signed up for a comp but couldn't play and just went home. I'd have to pay E40?
    gl!
    Doodee I really don't give a **** if you have to remove one name and press randomise again, get a grip will you.
    If someone has a software problem the admin can try to fix it for 15mins if he wants. You aren't obliged to fix someones machine so stop bitching about it. Throw the guy a galway advertiser and tell him to ring the ****ing pc gp.

The only way this would make sense, is if it only applied to software problems. Random hardware problems are acts of god. I want to go to this lan but if I have to leave on friday night, can you expect me to pay E30 nevermind E40.
    Like I put new paste on my core but I don't know how it will react in a room approaching 25 celcius.

But if someone signs up for a comp on saturday, and has the game patches available to him (not everyone has bb to dl XXXmb of bf2 patches) all day friday and early saturday. Finally when the competition time comes up he's say "oh noes, i have an older version". Then he should be booted out of the comp and his deposit taken.

In short there is way too much grey around this "deposit", in your reply set out and number the conditions so we can discuss, i really cba reading through your posts again.

I don't think we would be that mean. We are people with consideration?!?"? :) course we are...
    I think it is put in place for people who head away for food/or out during a game. The times will be posted for the games. People can schedule in when they are to be there and not.
    This of course is only the case if the tourneys actually start on time (server problems my halt this).

I think the tourney server should be up an hour before hand to see if people are up to speed in terms of patches.

Doodee please verify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sAid

yeah I totally agree with Ruffy^, I think having to pay a desposit to play games at a lan is ridiculous.Doodee is [edited] florence nightingale [edited].

Sniipe, ok I see what your trying to get at, but its a lan and not a tournement.Having it so serious will make the lan less enjoyable.

I think the deposit is an awful idea, and there must a better way of getting around it than paying even more money for an already expensive lan.

thnx

O btw, if its a cpma 1v1 competition with money prizes I withdraw teh last statement and fully endorse a deposit. :D

sId wrote:
    yeah I totally agree with Ruffy^, I think having to pay a desposit to play games at a lan is ridiculous.Doodee it isn't like your florence nightingale helping noobs with their computers and leaving yourself short, from what I can see its usually Syxpak and Sniipe.

Sniipe, ok I see what your trying to get at, but its a lan and not a tournement.Having it so serious will make the lan less enjoyable.

I think the deposit is an awful idea, and there must a better way of getting around it than paying even more money for an already expensive lan.

thnx

O btw, if its a cpma 1v1 competition with money prizes I withdraw teh last statement and fully endorse a deposit. :D

Yeah, what sId says! :D

Hey - lets everyone chill out.
    Nothing is ever set in stone.
    And I don't think anyone has quite gotten a handle on what DooDee actually means. Give the man a chance to have a pint and hone it in the company of his peers.

He's a bit soft and failed his Communication Skills module in 1st year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sAid

:p

Ruffty^ wrote:
    Last lan I was at, my core kept overheating and my comp freezing.
    Say, if I went to this lan and that happened again and I was signed up for a comp but couldn't play and just went home. I'd have to pay E40?
    gl!
    Well then, i would reccomend that you seek your own advice about the galway advertiser. If your PC is overheating then your doing something wrong. if you are doing something wrong, then i suggest that you seek help from someone who has a clue.
    Ruffty^ wrote:
    Doodee I really don't give a **** if you have to remove one name and press randomise again, get a grip will you.
    If someone has a software problem the admin can try to fix it for 15mins if he wants. You aren't obliged to fix someones machine so stop bitching about it. Throw the guy a galway advertiser and tell him to ring the ****ing pc gp.
    Its not as simple as you seem to think, randomization happens when the tournie is confirmed, that means it happens when all entrants are known. removing one person requires repeating the whole procedure.
    No, we are not obliged to fix anyones machine, but as any one of the organisers can verify, we still end up having to, otherwise that person ends up leaving.
    Ruffty^ wrote:
    The only way this would make sense, is if it only applied to software problems. Random hardware problems are acts of god. I want to go to this lan but if I have to leave on friday night, can you expect me to pay E30 nevermind E40.
    Like I put new paste on my core but I don't know how it will react in a room approaching 25 celcius.
    Get a better heatsink and fan, test the machine before you come to the lan, how hard is it for you to run pi calculations on the cpu and seeing how it fairs out? If you had to leave on the friday night then you have to remember that your not only wasting your own time, but also taking a space from someone on the waiting list, and our time.
    Ruffty^ wrote:
    But if someone signs up for a comp on saturday, and has the game patches available to him (not everyone has bb to dl XXXmb of bf2 patches) all day friday and early saturday. Finally when the competition time comes up he's say "oh noes, i have an older version". Then he should be booted out of the comp and his deposit taken.
    Thats one of the points of having it. however, if the same is applied to your hardware issue i cant really see a difference.
    If your CPU or Graphics card, hard drive or PSU actually blew whilst attending the lan, then yes it is an act of god and you wouldn't have to pay the deposit (since it's gonna cost you more than enough to replace the parts) however, if your machine is over heating, drivers are not working correctly, overclocked card is displaying artifacts, then im afraid that is your own fault. if your cpu is overheating as it does then you either have dodgy tech (in which case please replace it before the event) or else you haven't done your job putting it all together.
    Ruffty^ wrote:
    In short there is way too much grey around this "deposit", in your reply set out and number the conditions so we can discuss, i really cba reading through your posts again.

If you cant be arsed to read a reply then what assurances do we have that you wont sort out your heat problems before the event, or be motivated in any other way. I can't really see any grey areas with what i said. If you have a problem with your machine, fix it *BEFORE* the lan.

It seems like some of you are just reluctant to dig into your pockets.
    I dont really see what your problem is, if you do as suggested and test your machine before you arrive then your not going to pay any extra.

Just to make sure that yet again, it's not grey, and to help those who may not have any common sense, or trust issues here is a list
    1. Dont have the correct patches/updates
    2. are unavailable to play at competition start time
    3. Hardware problems that are not "acts of god" that happen during the lan
    4. Pc problems, driver issues, hidden processes that you have not sorted before competition start time

If you have skimmed through the rest of the post and are reading this after viewing the list, then i suggest you dont bother coming to the lan, if you cba reading an organisers post then your not going to listen to us at all, in which case the lan is better off without you.

If you are sick of hearing me (or any other organiser) bitching, then i suggest you make the effort to stop whatever it is that is causing us to bitch.

ye, kk. I wanted a list, instead of you saying "maybe blahblahblah" and then someone else saying "but what about blahblahblah" and you replying "blahblah****ingblah", was that too much to ask for?
    And yes I am too lazy to read your rules over Xno.s of posts. This is a possible 33% cost increase we are discussing, the least you could do is take the trouble to make a proper reply/sticky.

Just out of interest what kind of figures were at the last lan, in relation to the numbers that signed up? Was it a full house, is this deposit even needed? How many were left on the waiting list?

How about people who sign up, only turn up on saturday for a few hours and leave, would they get their deposit back?

How about you pull out of a competition because you decided you hate the game, i guess there would be a "pull out" deadline?

Also less of the personal ****, ye? kthx.

Ruffty^ wrote:
    How about people who sign up, only turn up on saturday for a few hours and leave, would they get their deposit back?

How about you pull out of a competition because you decided you hate the game, i guess there would be a "pull out" deadline?
    No, and no imo. If ppl came and left then it "may" stop someone else signing up... and hence a loss of money.
    Why would u sign up to a game you "hate" thats just retarded!>!

I can't be all mean in a post. Ruffty, ur a dab hand at CS!

• Advertisement

Sniipe wrote:
    No, and no imo. If ppl came and left then it "may" stop someone else signing up... and hence a loss of money.
    Why would u sign up to a game you "hate" thats just retarded!>!
    I hate CS, yet I was repeatedly roped into the tourny to fill up spaces. I was signed up by CS players.
    Sniipe wrote:
    I can't be all mean in a post. Ruffty, ur a dab hand at CS!
    Ergo, CS makes you retarded. Watch out lads, it sneaks up on you.

*zing*

Advertisement