Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Car Test

Options
  • 08-03-2006 11:45am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The other half's car is up for her NCT next month.She got a letter a couple of weeks ago saying we have made a provisional appointment for 9/3/06.The latter states that you have to confirm the appointment,it gives you a few options on line,mobile,fax or by post.Fine so far,I had my mobile in my hand when I opened the letter so I sent of a text message with all the detail's.

Now here is were I let myself down,it does say a message will be returned to you when your appointment is confirmed.We did not get a message and I forgot.I got Mrs Dub13 to ring up yesterday to see if we had a appointment for 9/3/06.We did not no surprise,but the girl on the phone did not even know you could send a text message to confirm.She asked another girl and she said the "text machine" has not worked in a long time,and the only certain way to confirm is by phone email and fax are not reliable method's.There was me thinking it was 2006.

So a heads up.When confirming your NCT don't use any unreliable method's such as Text,Fax or email.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I used their online booking and confirmation system twice in last 3 months ... no problems, in fact great facility, as you can select an alternative timeslot if available. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Culchie wrote:
    I used their online booking and confirmation system twice in last 3 months ... no problems, in fact great facility, as you can select an alternative timeslot if available. :D

Must be just me then....:o .She did say on line was reliable but not email :eek: .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

I've also had a text confirmation twice in the last few months (2 different cars) with no problems.

You're probably just unlucky Paul.

Maybe you should change your name to Dub14?

Culchie wrote:
    You're probably just unlucky Paul.

Maybe you should change your name to Dub14?

Maybe not....we just got a cancellation for Friday.So Dub13 stays..;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I use their online booking system, works a treat tbh... Just be sure that you actually want to confirm the booking or else youll be charged a cancellation fee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

JohnCleary wrote:
    I use their online booking system, works a treat tbh... Just be sure that you actually want to confirm the booking or else youll be charged a cancellation fee!
    Me too, no problems.
    Though for all the stupidities of the NCT as its implemented here, I could make no complaints about customer service.

I've had to ring them a few times, had to cancel at the last minute in december due to snow, and another time I got held up in traffic and arrived an hour late.

I wasn't charged the extra fee either time.

Their website works, the people on the other end of the phone actually know whats going on and are willing to help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ComeOnMeath

I see

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

I confirmed online with no problems even got a email back to confirm confirmation.

Typical Irish tho you can reply via email or text but don't bother cos our equipment is crap :(

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭REDZ

eh this might be slightly off topic, but i can get the tax for my car without an nct, nct was due in 2004, but have had no hassles getting the tax, is this common?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

REDZ wrote:
    eh this might be slightly off topic, but i can get the tax for my car without an nct, nct was due in 2004, but have had no hassles getting the tax, is this common?

Easily done - you can tax your car online now, so you don't even have to provide proof of insurance anymore - let alone the NCT. To go even more OT, why are you at least a year overdue on the NCT?

REDZ wrote:

You might get your tax through this 'loophole' but if you car is in an accident, your insurance will probably be invalid.....criminally so.

I'd advise getting the car through the NCT.

Culchie wrote:
    You might get your tax through this 'loophole' but if you car is in an accident, your insurance will probably be invalid.....criminally so.

Thats a load of balls, I know plenty of people who've been involved in accidents with no NCT, was never a problem

JohnCleary wrote:
    Thats a load of balls, I know plenty of people who've been involved in accidents with no NCT, was never a problem

Maybe now but I am sure we will get a clamp down soon,I am sure if you read the terms & condition's of any Irish insurance policy a mention of the NCT will be in there.It may not say NCT but could say the vehicle should be road worthy and they use the NCT as there marker.

Typical Irish behavior,if they don't enforce a law we may as well brake it.

JohnCleary wrote:

wtf do you you think the nct was brought in for?

If your car is unroadworthy (didn't pass the NCT) then you'll find that if an insurance company has a large pay out to make (personal injury etc...) they will revert to the small print of your policy, and the fact that the car was not worthy to be on the road.

As for all your accident prone friends, I can't comment, maybe they had 'tips' ...but trust me, if they have a big pay out to make, they'll look at all the angles to try and get the claimant to pay, and if your car is not roadworthy, you haven't a leg to stand on.
    I'm sure you've heard of 'duty of care' and 'criminal negligence'.

Still a load of balls is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Culchie wrote:
    wtf do you you think the nct was brought in for?

If your car is unroadworthy (didn't pass the NCT) then you'll find that if an insurance company has a large pay out to make (personal injury etc...) they will revert to the small print of your policy, and the fact that the car was not worthy to be on the road.

As for all your accident prone friends, I can't comment, maybe they had 'tips' ...but trust me, if they have a big pay out to make, they'll look at all the angles to try and get the claimant to pay, and if your car is not roadworthy, you haven't a leg to stand on.
    I'm sure you've heard of 'duty of care' and 'criminal negligence'.

The NCT is a money making rip-off brought in to reduce accidents/deaths which is a load of crap along with the Penalty points system, another scam. Its people's driving behaviour on the road causing accidents rather than "non-roadworthy vehicles"
    Lots of people are paying their tax without NCT certs. Its not treated as seriously as driving without tax or insurance.

Culchie wrote:

Yes.

So you reckon having an NCT cert makes your car roadworthy and safe? Without going into detail, ill refer you back the RTE Primetime program where they did a study on price fixing and the NCT. A woman bought a Golf with a valid NCT cert, but she later found out it was 2 cars welded together - hardly safe & road worthy.

So, still think the NCT makes your car roadworthy?

Keith C wrote:
    The NCT is a money making rip-off brought in to reduce accidents/deaths which is a load of crap along with the Penalty points system, another scam. Its people's driving behaviour on the road causing accidents rather than "non-roadworthy vehicles"
    Lots of people are paying their tax without NCT certs. Its not treated as seriously as driving without tax or insurance.

The mistake made is not the NCT, but the fact that they privatised it, and so is operated by a private company.

As with most things, CIE, Eircom etc... the government made a balls of it.

If the NCT was linked into a government based strategy and then enforced it would be great.
    The cops have no interest in it, as it's a private company so not under their remit.

Same goes for the penalty points, good idea...not enforced.

As for the people taxing their cars without NCT clearance ... let's just wait until a big claim goes in for personal injury that runs into hundreds of thousands/millions...... we'll see what the insurance companies do about it.

And besides, joking aside, why would you want to drive a car that an imperical test says is unsafe.... do people not value their own life and that of their families above a few quid?

JohnCleary wrote:
    Yes.

So you reckon having an NCT cert makes your car roadworthy and safe? Without going into detail, ill refer you back the RTE Primetime program where they did a study on price fixing and the NCT. A woman bought a Golf with a valid NCT cert, but she later found out it was 2 cars welded together - hardly safe & road worthy.

So, still think the NCT makes your car roadworthy?

Did I say it makes a car roadworthy ? Did I?

I said that you'll be up **** creek without a paddle if you have a personal injury claim with a car that is deemed not roadworthy.

Oh, and the NCT failed my runaround car, with seriously fault in braking system I wasn't aware of, and brakes could go at any time (verified by garage as well) .... so I felt it wasn't a bad €49 spent, considering I was driving West for the weekend with my wife the next day.

Like all the feckers who don't pay their Car insurance, TV licences, Income Tax, they'll be those who won't pay the NCT as well, while 99% of the country will.

If you are one of them, Good Luck to you.

Advertisement