Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless router, network question

• 08-03-2006 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a netopia wireless router and hooked up to ericom broadband. My laptopn connects wirelessley to the route, however i have the main PC connected via Lan cable. Just wondering when the two are connected, can i configure the router to allow my laptop to see my PC.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

How do you go about doing this. I asked the same question in another thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054900610
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

DingDong wrote:
    How do you go about doing this. I asked the same question in another thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054900610
    Thanks

You need to enable sharing on the computers you want to share, strange but true :rolleyes:

You have to decide if you want to share the whole drive or just a specific folder (recommended)

> Open My Computer
    > Right click Hard Disk
    > Select Properties (or if you see a Sharing option in the list then click that
    > (Ignore if you selected Sharing above) Look to see if there is a sharing tab, if there is click it if NOT then go to control panel
    > Network Connections
    > Right click the connection you will share over (eg Wireless or Wired connection)
    > Select Properties
    > Click the install button
    > Select Service click Add
    > In Manufacturer select Microsoft, in Network Service select File and Printer Sharing for MS Networks.
    Computer may ask for Operating System Disk (mine didn't), will do a bit of hocus pocus then
    > Click Close on window

Now if you have decided to share just a specific folder then browse to the location the folder is in (that is the folder that contains the folder you want to share, not the folder itself) and right click the folder you want to share
    > Select Sharing
    > Click the Share this Folder Radio Button or Tick Box
    > Give the Folder a UNIQUE share name (you can add a comment if you like)
    > Now click the "Allow other users to change my files" box if you want to be able to write files to the other computer or even if you want to be able to modify the files already there. If you're running XP/2000 Pro you can set permissions too (if you want to be able to store files here not just read them then you should allow full access (read & write) to the folder (Same as ticking the Allow Users change box above).
    > Click OK

You also need to give each computer a UNIQUE name and make sure they are part of the same workgroup

> Right click My Computer
    > Select Properties
    > Click Computer Name Tab
    > Click Change
    > Give each computer a UNIQUE name and common workgroup name eg Home
    Click OK twice (Can't remember here but I think it asks to restart, restart (while one is restarting, do the other computer if you haven't already)

All you need then is either the lan cables to connect to the router or the wireless equipment to do likewise wirelessly:o

You can even do without the router if you were to use a crossover cable (available from galwaydude18 btw) to connect the two network ports directly or setup an Ad Hoc wireless network but either way it works the same.

Happy Sharing :p

Advertisement