Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat6 in house - Where?

Options
  • 08-03-2006 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

We are just getting our electrician to wire so I think(:D ) I understand what we need to do.

In future, we will probably put something like a Sonos sound system in the house. ALL (yes, even upstairs) our walls are concrete so I need to get round the wireless element.

So we have asked the electrician to:
    Place speakers in the ceiling and wire these back to the base location (Study)
    Wire speakers cable from TV locations back to the base location
    Wire a few extra and leave in loft - just in case
    Wire Cat6 next to lighting points where I think we will need controllers, back to base location
    Wire Cat6 from TV points back to base location (not sure why I need this but think I must if I want to add say a box to control and view in other rooms)

Have I missed anything? Also, I cannot find anything that says I can hardwire/daisychain the sonos controllers to each other.

So my questions are:

1. Have I missed anything?
    2. Can I hardwire/daisychain controllers?
    3. If I can hardwire - what type of wiring do I need to put in now.
    4. Can't see any other simple system like Sonos on the market for the same price - any recommendations (I have alot of iPODS and macs - very recent - so if there is a way I can use these, then all the better!)

Any insights would be great!

Pitsy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

4. Can't see any other simple system like Sonos on the market for the same price - any recommendations (I have alot of iPODS and macs - very recent - so if there is a way I can use these, then all the better!)

Although they dont have a built in amp:

www.slimdevices.com

Ive used quite a few of these. Works on Mac, Linux and PC. It includes a web-based streaming server program that can control each player. There is also a free java-based player called "softsqueeze" that you can install on a computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭pitstop

Interesting option, SouperComputer!!

One of the issues that made me choose Sonos over this - was the remote controll. The Sonos one has a screen and there I can "see" what I am playing. This has a lovely screen but I can't see it from my sitting room!!

Is there a way around that?

I like the fact that I can hardwire and use wireless though and it seems reasonably priced!

I will certainly put it back on my list if I can sort out ther remote element...

Pitsy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Well with the forthcoming cat6 setup you would be mad not to have a HTPC or a few of them.

You could the view the web interface that controls the squeezeboxen from your HTPC or any PC\Mac. Also you can use a PDA to view the web interface and control it that way.

The great thing about slim is that its has a huge community and you can customise it a lot more. You can look at the plugins here: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?SlimServerPlugins

Best ting about it, is that you can use it for free, before you take the plunge. Just install the slimserver and then you can use softsqueeze client to see if you like it.

Another alternative is the roku soundbridge: http://www.rokulabs.com/products/soundbridge/index.php

The "play for sure" lark puts me off it though.

I also came across this: http://www.n-vious.com/

Although I have no idea how good it is.

While you are looking at all of this, I highly reccomend looking into MythTv too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭anon1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭anon1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭pitstop

Thanks SouperComputer!! very helpful

Anon1 - Microsoft - not in a million years!!:D :D:D

Pitsy!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭AJL

hey Pitstop,

thinking of future proofing my house. IF you dont mi nd me asking you how much do you think this would cost?

AJL

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭mrs aol

Microsoft media center is really excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

How about putting in an iPort Docking station? You can get it to talk to a multiroom audio systam.

Also - have you thought about High Definition TV? You will need to install a HDMI lead in the wall to where your tv will be (thats if you are planning on putting a tv on a wall and dont want to have cables running up the wall).

Advertisement