Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Windscreen Wiper Problem

Options
  • 08-03-2006 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

I have a problem with the winscreen wipers on my car. When i switch them on there grand but when i go to turn them off, they get stuck and stop in the middle of the window. It can tak a couple of go's but they go back to the normal position.

I was just wondering if anyone had any idea's what was wrong?

I put them in there correct position and tighten the bolts but its made no difference.

thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Had a similar problem a few years back and did a bit of dismantelling to find the problem and found nothing obvious. When I put it all back together it worked fine. I finally figured that there was a lot of corrosion on the screw attaching the ground wire from the wiper motor to the body. When I had unscrewed this and re attached it, the firction between the surfaces had broken away the corrosion compounds reestablishing the electrical connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yeah a poor earth can do that but so can the wiper relay. Find it in the fusebox by listening when the intermittant wiper are on. You can trace the click !

When the wipers fail to "park" properly then give it a light tap, if they move then thats your problem !

What car is it BTW ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭le-dub

Thanks for the reply's. Its a MITSUBISHI COLT

I will have a look and try those couple of suggestions, thanks........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

There is usually a park switch of some type inside the gear box in these things,
    It can give trouble for a few reasons,
    a) the contacts break, no repair possible.
    b) most common, the grease inside the gears dries out and get hard, theu jamming the stitch. Dissassembly, cleaning and regreasing solves this problem for another few years, til it happens again.

c) Some modern setups have an aux relay to park them, this may give trouble, so there is nothing wrong with the wipers themselves, just the relays that control them.

Advertisement