Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish receipes

• 08-03-2006 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I am really boring where fish is concerned only like whiting and haddock and salmon. Was wondering does anyone have any recipes for cooking with fish e.g sauces

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Crubeens

My favourite way of cooking fish is to marinade it and then cook it 'en papillote'...
    1. mix up some ginger, lemon rind, lemongrass, olive oil and seasoning in a pestle and mortar to a paste
    2. spread it all over the fish and leave for a few mins
    3. Wrap up the fish in tin foil parcels and bake at c. 180 degress for about 20 mins.

The fish will cook in its own juices and I find you don't need a sauce when its cooked this way.
    I want my dinner now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Have you tried making your own Hollandaise sauce? Tangy and buttery so it’s great on salmon and white fish, with something like baby potatoes and asparagus tips or broccoli.

Prepare it just before the fish is ready as it should be served immediately.

3 egg yolks
    200g of butter
    1 tablespoon of lemon juice
    1 tablespoon of water
    A large pinch of salt
    A large pinch of white or cayenne pepper

Put the egg yolks in a saucepan and beat them well with a whisk for about 3 minutes. Add in the water, lemon juice, pepper and salt and whisk for another couple of minutes until it’s all well combined.

Put the pan on a very low heat (never too high or it’ll turn to mush) and keep stirring so the mixture becomes paste-like. Gradually add the butter, one tiny chunk at a time (about the size of a teaspoon at a time, if you put too much in at once the sauce will go very oily) and stir thoroughly each time you add a bit. Keep going like this until all the butter is added and serve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Salmon is great flaked into pasta with a white-wine, cream and saffron sauce. Could be worth trying with haddock, but I doubt whiting would be up to the job.

Jamie did a good fish pie recipe, but I don't have the book to hand. Basically you mix your fish (a mix of all 3 you like) in a mustard/cream sauce, thrown into a casserole, covered in spinach (no, really), covered in crushed / mashed spuds, then done in the oven. Its the dogs'.

Salmon and whiting are truly excellent done cajun style, either on a BBQ or on a griddle-pan if you have one. Even under the grill will do.

Haddock...if its smoked....make up a beer batter and do your own deep-fried fish. You can spice the batter with anything you like for variety - sharp paprika or a touch of cayenne can work really well here.

One last one...a marinade suggestion. Crush together a handful of fresh coriander leaves, 1-2 garlic cloves, the juice of 1/2 to 1 lime, a finely chopped red chilli, and a bit o' large-grain salt (fleur de sel, ideally). Spread over your fish. Rest for 5 mins, then griddle your fish (should only need 2-3 mins per side, max). Once its just cooked through, throw the rest of the marinade over it in the pan, and quickly remove (i.e. before all teh marinade has boiled off again).

jc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Crubeens wrote:
    My favourite way of cooking fish is to marinade it and then cook it 'en papillote'...

A variation on this is:

Place salmon pieces of choice in the centre of a large piece of foil, oiling beneath it slightly with sesame oil. Over the salmon squeeze the juice of half a lemon, drizzle some honey, sprinkle with chopped ginger, chilli and garlic, soy sauce and add two tablespoons of stock then parcel up so that the fish both steams and bakes. It makes it deliciously moist when you serve it.

You can use other combinations of flavours (non-"Chinese" ones, or even nothing but some lemon wedges, salt and pepper), but I find putting a little stock in really does help the flavour along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

We're nearly out of season for this kind of food as its starts to get warmer (yeah right...) but have you considered a nice fish chowder?

Its one of my dad's and girlfriend's dad favourites and I've got a couple of different reciepes, they go down a storm. Because it's in essence a stew you can mix 'em up what kind of fish you use, depending on whats cheapest or more available, I've made it with prawns, scallops, haddock cod anything.

This is just about the easiest reciepe I have, and it's the simplest because it cleverly converts the water you use to boil the potatoes in as your stock ( i always add a veggie knor stock cube when I'm adding the bacon as well, just to give it more a lil more kick than just potatoes) Let me know if you like it, or it's below your skill level and I can post up a more interesting one.

INGREDIENTS:

* 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
    * 1 onion, chopped
    * 4 slices bacon, diced
    * 1/4 pound haddock fillets, chopped
    * 1/2 cup milk
    * 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a large stock pot cover potatoes with enough water so they are fully covered. Bring to boil, then reduce to a simmer.
    2. In a saute pan cook onion and bacon, over medium heat, until onions are soft. Add to potato mixture. (I add a stock cube at this point)
    3. Once potatoes become soft, and the broth has a milky look to it, add cut up fish fillets. Heat until fish fillets are cooked through.
    4. Add enough milk product to bring soup to your desired taste and texture. Season with white pepper and serve.

It'll make four portions, you could substitute cream for milk for the added creamy factor. If you've got leftover the potatoes tend to absord the moisture, while re-heating add some more milk......

(oh and everybody, it's Chowder you knucklehead not Chowdér, CHOWDER!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I'm not sure why but I associate kedgeree with school dinners. I think it was the only way they could get a bunch of primary-aged kids to eat smoked haddock at the time!

The recipe is below is the straightforward version but it's even nicer if you add some Indian spices or a bit of curry powder. A finely chopped onion will give it a nice texture too if you like that sort of thing.

450g (1lb) Smoked Haddock Fillets
    175g (6oz) Long Grain or Basmati rice
    3 Eggs
    50g (2oz) Butter
    Fresh Parsley

Cook the rice until tender.
    Drain well and rinse under cold water, then spread out to dry.
    Boil the eggs until hard.
    Place the haddock in a large pan with enough water to cover, simmer for 10-15 minutes, until tender.
    Drain, skin and flake the haddock, removing any bones.
    Chop one egg and quarter the other two.
    Place the butter to a large frying pan, add the rice, haddock and chopped egg .
    Cook moderate heat for about 5 minutes, until hot.
    Place on to a warmed serving dish and garnish with chopped parsley and quartered eggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Lorcul

Thanks everyone. Have plenty to get going. Thanks again

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yummy,i know what im having for dinner tonight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

place a piece of haddock on tin foil with a few specks of butter. slice some cheese (manchiago is great here, but chedder is good too), and lay it on top of the fish. top with fairly thinly sliced tomato. season. wrap up the tin foil and bake for 15-20 mins in hot oven. great with new boiled potatoes and some crunchy green veg. yum!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Crubeens, I tried that lemon & ginger recipe...GORGEOUS!! have cooked it three times this week already...mmmm...

• Advertisement
Advertisement