Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEWBIE - Taking over father's guns - need info

Options
  • 08-03-2006 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi there,

I am taking over my father's guns (2x SBS Shotguns and 1x .22 semi auto) and need to get a Firearms License.

I believe I should become a member of a Shooting Club to do this. I also want to find out about shooting rights, insurance, and technical issues.

Is there a listing of Dublin/Wicklow shooting clubs? I have Google'd but it's not coming up with much.

I intend to do some pheasant and rabbit hunting.

Thanks,
    Garz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Garz,
    It sounds like what you're looking for is the local NARGC gun club, rather than a target shooting club. The relevant Regional Game Councils are listed here and here and should be able to give you the contact details you're looking for. The NARGC also provide insurance, and there is also a scheme with Countryside Alliance. As to shooting rights, I'm not sure that those are rights in the legal sense, I was of the impression that it was more permission to shoot on the landowner's land. Either way, the local gun club would have such permission arranged.

What other technical issues were you thinking of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

depending on why you are takin over the guns you can just get a licence for that reason.

if you need *instruction* a gun club would be advisable as for the permission find out where your dad shot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Hi Garz.

You don't say under what circumstances you're taking over the guns, so my condolences if it's by way of inheritance :(

In any case, it mightn't be a bad idea to have a chat with your local Firearms Officer. Just ask at the Garda Station and they'll point you to the relevant person.
    If your father is still with us, it shouldn't be too big a deal for you to take over the licencing of the guns, provided you're living at home or at least in the same Garda district. You can both be licenced for the same guns if you want, too.
    If your father is deceased, the Guards might want the guns put in safe keeping with a gun dealer until the licences are sorted out. If the licence holder has died, the guns are technically 'unlicenced', so it would be as well to ask the Guards for advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

If you have no criminal record or otherwise disbarred from holding legal firearms,and are a land owner.The Gardai will in most cases would issue automatically the firearms liscenses at the next July 31st to the next of kin who expresses an intrest in taking them over.I dunno if this is a std procedure now anymore ,but when my father died they asked my mother would she take them on as I was under eighteen at the time.When I turned 18 I took them on with no bother.22 years ago tomrrow.How tempus fugits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Awwww..! CG..:rolleyes:

Let me be the first to wish you a happy birthday..:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Clash

but when my father died they asked my mother would she take them on as I was under eighteen at the time.
    Eh CG?, Were you not over sixteen? The age limit under the 1925 act was fifteen amended to sixteen under the 1964 act.

Did the Gardai tell you you had to be over eighteen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Happy 40th S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Ahh thanks guys! I'm coming over all warm an fuzzy!!:o

Clash,at the time thats what they told us.I must say I already had a shotgun cert at 16,but I think they were concerned maybe with a young fellah having all that fire power???I dunno,but thats the way they planned it.The Garda FAO's work in mysterious ways.

Advertisement