Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[March 29] FIS media training seminar

Options
  • 08-03-2006 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

From the ISC website:
    Making the Media work for you
    7/3/2006

The Federation of Irish Sports Making the Media Work for You Workshop is scheduled for Wednesday 29 March 2006, 6.30pm, sportHQ.

The central aim of the evening is to explore how Governing Bodies and Voluntary Sport can develop a greater profile for sport in Ireland and to share practical advice on the generation and implementation of an effective communications plan.

As well as keynote guest speakers providing practical and informative presentations, an expert guest panel will be in place to offer further information.

It will also include an excellent guidance booklet resource for NGBs & clubs

Lyne Greenwood
    Executive Manager
    Northern Ireland Sports Forum
    House of Sport
    Upper Malone Road
    Belfast
    BT9 5LA
    T: 028 9038 3825
    M: 07939 597 432
    W: www.nisf.net

Lyne Greenwood
    Executive Manager
    Federation of Irish Sports
    sportHQ
    13 Joyce Way
    Park West
    Dublin 12
    T: 1 625 1155
    M: +44 7939 597 432
    W: www.irishsports.ie

For directions or further contact information please checkout www.sporthq.ie

I've gone to this once before myself, and I'd strongly recommend that anyone who has to work as a PRO and any club which wants a better PRO should attend. Basicly, several journalists and other media people will give short talks on what they want to get from you and answer questions and give advice on the best way to get good results from the media. More than worth the time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

First off sorry for the double post back there.The damn computor was supposed to have deleted one of them and didnt.Poor workman blames his tools etc.But thats my excuse on this one.:D
    On dealing with the media everyone in shooting orwhatever might touch the media,should get a copy of ;
    How you can manipulate the media by David Alexander, published by Paladin Press.It is well worth having as a reference.
    Having worked abit in the media,i agree with your point on journalists not having time etc.However as one editor pointed out to me if you belive there is a good story there.Go and research the thing,dont just rely on the copy.It is the mark of a lazy journalist who just relies on the copy.Ever wonderd why stories are almost verbatim thru all the papers?

Civ
    It isnt adversial at all.Journalists bring their own prejudices into the reporting as well.And it was another reason I quit that career path,as I didnt like the attitude of get a story at all costs.Not to mind the dirty tricks to make one.Example if you are at an accident and there kids involved,and there is no blood or better still if there is blood,have a kids toy handy and chuck it into the blood or glass or whatever.Never mind if the kid never was injured a pic tells a thousand words.How callous can you get?If that is the papparzzi,what will a journalist do to make his money??Sorry maybe just have being involved in that profession,and having alot of dealing with them in my current.I generally find them a contemptible bunch of know it all ignoramuses,who write a good story far away from the actual incident.If it bleeds it leads,and shooting in any form is always good copy.Who was it who said "Damn the truth!We got our story!"
    Dunblane was a PR disaster!!!
    Everyone was told to keep a dignified silence,and we lost valuable air and radio time that was overwhelmingly taken up by the antis.Any time we got was so slanted that it was worthless to us.
    It was a media and govt lynch mob out for blood and the chacters we put up were slaughterd.Plus there was the good old appasement at work in the UK shooting community that was so obvious since Hungerford.Appease them by selling the practical semi auto rifle shooters down the river,then it was the big calibre handgunners,so long as Olympic shooting survives.End game, the govt crocodile ate all the handgun shooters,hunted the olympic UK shooting time from the UK and is now nibbling on the airgun and shotgun shooters. As Churchill said "an appeaser is a person who will feed all before him,in the vain hope that the crocodile will spare him at last." Doesn't work.

I didnt hear the spokesman yesterday.Are you sure it was Joe "Anti gun"Duffy?Last time I was on his daily travesty of sympathy to the nation.I was cut off because I knew more than Lord Duffy and dared to contradict him or would boke no nonsense from him either.Joe Duffy is a prize example along with Gerry Ryan of know it all anti gun opiniated and prejudiced so and sos that infest our media here.My point being was this gent a PRO for some place?If not why wasn't one of our shooting bodies being contacted to give a professional comment?Maybe because they don't want it?It does not not look good if there is somone on more knowledgeable than the presenter.After all they are God that the nation listens to.
    As I said before we should try and push that there is one PRO who will comment for the shooting scene in Ireland on situations[crime/political] like this.Not on one aspect of the sports.If there is a specific question on one field of shooting ,the "general PRO"should be able to refer the press to the PRO responsible for that aspect of shooting or be able to inform himself on that question.
    Also I myself in my ignorance misunderstood the sticky concept.I should have said the concept of a gun crime should be a thread.Apologies on that Mods.

Advertisement