Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating Sky satellite dish - need help

Options
  • 08-03-2006 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

I just moved house and I'd like to move my Sky dish to the new home.

I was thinking of ringing Sky to move it, but I'm afraid they'll just want to mount the dish on the front of the house (as it's pointing the right way) which I DON'T want.

I'd like it mounted to the side of the house (facing passageway) but it would need to clear the roof, as this is the exact opposite location of where the dish should be facing.

I have a feeling this can be done, with a kit like this one:
    http://www.smarthome.com/77531.html

Any ideas if there's someone in Ireland who could fit the dish the way I want it?
    Any links/recommendations are more than welcome. The house is in Skerries, Co.Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Try the satellite forum, you may get a better response. But, yes, there's no reason why you can't mount it on a bracket at the back of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Could you attach to the chimney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Didn't realise there was a satellite forum until it was too late :(

I checked there and got a few contacts so things are looking better.

Chimney would have been ideal, but the house only has a pipe sticking out with a top hat, I think our end of the estate was built last as the houses on the front of the estate have proper chimneys... oh well..

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I wonder if there is any possibility that it'll be included on Irish DTT when it launches?

It's not a proper national channel if it can't be received nationally. Not everyone can get cable or has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I don't know where you are in Dublin but from the southside it generally needs to point in the direction of Bray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Cancel your current Sky sub (if you already have it over 12 months).
    Take out a new contract - maybe in your partner's name so Sky don't tell you to shag off.
    You will then get a new dish & digibox installed (including 12 month warranty).
    For a local Sky installation service - try BD Electrical in Skerries near the junction of Church Street & Strand Street.
    It may cost €50 or so for the new installation.
    Also, if anything goes wrong - they'll come & sort it under your brand spanking new warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Breezzzzze

I'm with hilbilly on this one. With a new subscription you get 3 months at half price. More importantly, if something goes wrong with your dish, Sky will charge you the cost of fixing it for you. If their guy installed it, there would be no charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I moved house recently and put my Sky subscription on hold at a cost of only €1 per month. I left my dish at the old house but brought my Sky box to the new house. I got NTL in and was totally unhappy with them. I rang Sky (3 months later) and they came and fitted a new dish and reactivated my viewing card for FREE! They know all about customer service at Sky - unlike that shower at NTL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

I did pretty much the same as crosstown, but they gave us a new box as well as dish. Also they put the dish where I wanted it, and ran the cable into the attic, for no extra cost. Think it was 65 in total..

Advertisement