Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Channel 6 Thread

• 08-03-2006 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭

With the launch of Channel 6 only a few weeks away its about Television fans begin discussing.

From breakingnews.ie:

'No sport and news' programmes on new TV channel

The country’s newest national television station, Channel 6, will mix music, movies, drama and comedy with a range of home-grown shows when it goes live at the end of the month, it revealed today.

But sports fans, kids and news junkies will have to look elsewhere for their TV fix.

As station founder and director Michael Murphy said: “No sport, no news and no children’s – just pure entertainment.”

Aiming for a modest 3% share of the under 35 audience in the county’s towns and cities, Channel 6 bosses have lined up a string of ageing hits including The Sopranos, Dawson’s Creek and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

New award winning shows The American Office, hospital drama House and comedy My Name is Earl have also been secured.

Outlining the programming schedule, Mr Murphy revealed Channel 6 would go live to around 600,000 homes from March 30 on basic NTL and Chorus packages.

Talks are ongoing to have it listed on the Sky service beside other Irish stations.

Theme nights are also planned with young women targeted by chick-flicks and double bills of Sex and the City while men be offered a good dose of crime with CSI specials and hit comedy Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Some 25 staff will be taken on with Mr Murphy insisting the focus would-be on home-grown talent.

Half of the station’s €14m budget will go on local programming with about one-third of output home produced.

Movie review show, Screen 6, and fashion programme Catwalk 6 will be shown once a week.

Music will feature heavily with daytime show Popscene aimed at teens, late night alternative Dream Scene for older viewers and chart show Mus:Six taking a prime time slot.

Mr Murphy said: “We believe there is a huge appetite to see the likes of Damien Rice and others who get no support here.

“We are offering the Irish viewer an exciting mix of never before seen comedy, drama and movies mixed with newly minted home-produced programming in the most entertaining package to appear on Irish screens. This will open up the market, in a way that has not been experienced to date.”

The station is also developing a chat show, again aimed at under 35s, which could be on air in the autumn, however, Mr Murphy insisted it was not designed to rival RTÉ’s Tubridy Tonight.

“We would not go head to head with any other chat shows. We are about providing choice in the Irish market place. From a programming point of view it would be silly to go head to head. I think we can provide programming that is targeted and made by the under 35s.”

An intensive €2m advertising campaign will begin in the coming weeks.

Form RTE.ie
    New Irish TV channel for March launch
    Channel 6, a new Irish TV channel aimed at under-35s, will launch on 30 March.

Channel 6, which will reach 600,000 homes across the country, will carry no news but one-third of its output will be home produced.

This will include entertainment, fashion and music TV shows.

Channel 6 is buying in American TV series' such as the US version of 'The Office', 'Sex and the City', 'My Name is Earl' and 'Prison Break'.

The channel's founder and director Michael Murphy said they hope to reach four percent of the under-35 market in the first year.

Channel 6 has raised €14m from shareholders and will spend €2m in an advertising campaign.

Although it will create 25 jobs initially, it will not have any production facilities or studios. All programmes will be produced by independent production companies.

From digitalspy.co.uk

Channel 6 in Ireland will launch on March 30, it was confirmed today.

The service has originally planned to launch on Sky in addition to NTL and Chorus, but those plans were shelved after it failed to secure its desired EPG slot. At launch, the channel will be available to 600,000 homes via cable.

Last month, it was revealed that Channel 6 has acquired the rights to numerous shows from CBS in America.

Ireland's Channel 6 inks programming deals
    Thursday, February 2 2006, 21:57 UTC - by Neil Wilkes

Ireland's forthcoming 'Channel 6' has acquired the rights to air a raft of shows from CBS Paramount.

Key series in the deal, signed at the recent NATPE conference in Las Vegas, include crime drama Numb3rs and ended comedies Frasier and Sex and the City. Sci-fi comes in the form of Star Trek: The Next Generation and Charmed while drama is provided by 7th Heaven.

"Our focus is on providing Irish viewers with a mix of both local and international entertainment programming," said Michael Murphy, Channel 6's director of programming. “We are delighted to be able to offer our viewers such high-quality, well-known series right at the start. We anticipate that this will be the first of several deals with our friends at CBS Paramount."

The channel will launch via cable later this year.

Confirmed Shows Are:
    House
    Prison Break
    Numb3rs
    US version of 'The Office'
    My Name is Earl
    CSI
    Sex & the City
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    Charmed
    Star Trek: The Next Generation
    Frasier
    7th Heaven
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    The Sopranos
    Dawsons Creek

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I can definitely see myself watching it with that kind of a lineup... (N.B. I'm being sincere - Curb Your Enthusiasm is never on regularly enough - House, Prison Break, Numbers, The Office, Frasier and Star Trek (oops) are all shows that I'd watch quite happily.)

... a cheap bit of late-night filler might be the American 'Queer As Folk', only E4 ever showed it I think, and at a ridiculous late-night time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭ScruffySlayer

I'm personally really impressed with the line up. There's a couple of shows I really want to see there. If they could get Popular, Dead Like Me, Veronica Mars in there somehow it would be even better.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sex & The City has been played to death by Channel 4 and TV3, ST TNG is a very bad choice for sci fi imho...its also been played to death by Sky :(
    the rest are so so....although I believe TV3 are still showing Charmed so this is also a good choice.

As for everything else, I guess we'll wait and see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Whatever happened to channel 5? Did they skip that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

US version of the office might be worth a look, but the other programmes are on other channels and have been shown many many times before(e.g. Sex and the City).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

before i start i'm not having a go at any posters, this is aimed at channel 6
    no sport and they are trying to get 18-35 year olds, did they miss the memo, forget the office(us version), and get some football, that might attract 18-35 year old males, looking at the line up i think it's contemptable, its a clone of More 4/E4/LivingTV etc, i won't watch it just because it's irish, especially if it hasn't any irish programmng on it, yet more of this canwest-like BS from a supplier happy to maintian the status quo of the standards of modern TV.
    wouldn't be arsed.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I guess there's nothing to say they won't get sporting programmes in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Where's the incentive to watch? Almost everything they're showing has been shown somewhere else years ago.

byte wrote:
    I guess there's nothing to say they won't get sporting programmes in the future.

i'd say thie quote from the first post is a pretty emphatic declaration of their no sports tactic, i can't see them changing it.
    As station founder and director Michael Murphy said: “No sport, no news and no children’s – just pure entertainment.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Surely they have to carry news? Is this not in their licence. TV3 would stop showing news if they could get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Blisterman wrote:
    Whatever happened to channel 5? Did they skip that?

Is channel 5 in Belfast :p its uk based though like ch4,utv,bbc1 & 2 :rolleyes:
    Derry has a Channel 9. It aint that good tbh, hardly anything really shown on it but it still a laugh now & again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

Technically, Setanta is the fifth Irish channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

US office is very good, hope they repeat the sopranos from the start, Curb Your Enthusiasm = me watching.

So will the channel be telestrial or just Ntl und Chorus digi-cal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

US office is very good, hope they repeat the sopranos from the start, Curb Your Enthusiasm = me watching.

So will the channel be telestrial or just Ntl und Chorus digi-cal?
    It's a shame it won't be terristial!! It will create much need and better compitition in the Irish Television Market. Yes RTE and TV3 are head to head and back to back, but who cares. if another "real" independant channel is accessible to all viewers "To be continued" it would be fantastica.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Is there no chance of this appearing on Sky at all then?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kittenz

what is the story with channel 6, is it only available to people on NTL and cable, does us poor unfortunates with no cable, sky or ntl not get it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Bond-007 wrote:
    Surely they have to carry news? Is this not in their licence. TV3 would stop showing news if they could get away with it.

It seems that this licence is a cable/MMDS licence, not terrestrial, so just like Setanta they don't have the same basic requirements as RTE/TG4/TV3.
    I'm sure they still have to have a certain amount of Irish made progamming though; I hear it's something like 16 hours a week... I'd be interested to see what that is (looks like it's music/ent shows).
    Curb and Office US would interest me, but at the same time I can get all the Curb episodes on DVD and the Office US has been on BBC...
    I wonder if they'll eventually pick up any exclusives, perhaps when the next decent US show pops up
    They should try and pick up Arrested Development; old and new (if they happen), TV3 don't seem bothered about it and air it at wierd time slots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

Confirmed Shows Are:
    House
    Prison Break
    Numb3rs
    US version of 'The Office'
    My Name is Earl
    CSI
    Sex & the City
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    Charmed
    Star Trek: The Next Generation
    Frasier
    7th Heaven
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    The Sopranos
    Dawsons Creek

Did they just get a lottery of all the cast offs on E4 sky one and channel 4?

FX launched in the UK a few years ago, with solid high brow US HBO offerings like the shield and the wire, (which hadn't been seen before) this is half hearted pissing in the wind and not offering anything that hasn't already been repeated to death on the other major channels. The only thing thats not on Irish TV at the moment would be House correct?

The problem is it isn't offering anything new.

We don't have enough channels we have too many channels showing the same crap, take BBC 3 and BBC 4 carved out an excellent niche for themselves.

Oh and TV3's domestic programing must in addition have news and current affairs, they get away with some woeful shít, consider popcorn, a program consisting of publicity B roll of up coming features, so cheap it doesn't even have a presenter.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Prison Break isnt on in Ireland is it? Thought it was just on Channel 5 in the UK. Cant wait to watch that, heard it's great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

It's not a terrestial channel, so as far as I'm concerned it's not a "real" channel. For this reason, I couldn't give a damn about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I wonder if there is any possibility that it'll be included on Irish DTT when it launches?

It's not a proper national channel if it can't be received nationally. Not everyone can get cable or has it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Freelancer wrote:
    FX launched in the UK a few years ago, with solid high brow US HBO offerings like the shield

The Shield has always been on FX in the states

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

The station plans on doing the same amount of Irish output as TG4! Which is alot, the 16 hrs is the minimum!
    They dont need to carry news or sport (Sky 1 doesnt and it targets the same audience)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

there is so much crap on that list that i have no notion of watching...dawsons creek, buffy, fraiser, sex and the city..arent those programmes finished now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The station plans on doing the same amount of Irish output as TG4! Which is alot, the 16 hrs is the minimum!
    They dont need to carry news or sport (Sky 1 doesnt and it targets the same audience)

It really depends on how you look at Irish Productions.

1. They won't be spending any more then 5,000,000euro on Irish programming unlike TG4 who spend 15,000,000euro on Irish productions excluding the news as that come from RTE.
    2. They won't be spending any money on Irish Drama, Sport or childrens TV all of which TG4 do.
    3. Their irish output will amount to 1/3 of their total output (does that include repeats?) which amounts to 3hrs per day of Irish TV.

But I will wait and see. I think their of to the right start but 10 years down the road they need other strands of programming. TV3's programming as remain pretty much the same as it was back in 1998.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Brian017

Do you have to tune it in or will it just appear on a channel on March 30th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

on cable it should magically appear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

pretty decent lineup my name is earl, house, the office and then all the other older programs thats a very impressive lineup for a completley new station

although this "no sports, no news" mantra makes it sound like sky-one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

Why don't they give Trevor Welch and Aidan Cooney their own show modelling underwear. They need more sex appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

we already have a dedicated sports channel. how much more do you want?
    christ, if you have sky or ntl/chorus digital, you can get at least four more sports channels.
    then there's the news channels. another 5 or 6 of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

I have NTL cable, the "normal" one with Setanta, Paramount Comedy 1 and others, but no digital box. Will I be able to see it?

Channel Six will take the place of Sky One on Analogue Cable (NTL/Chorus Basic).

Sky One will replace CNBC.

From the 30/03/2006

However I am not sure if CNBC will remain on Analogue Cable (NTL/Chorus Basic)

I have read but have no prove that Channel 6 will be on 6 on Chorus and 106 on NTL.
    I have NTL cable, the "normal" one with Setanta, Paramount Comedy 1 and others, but no digital box. Will I be able to see it?

YES.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭irishcsifan

i can't understand why it can't be on terrestrial tv because i think alot of the audience the channel is aiming for don't have digital tv and only have the likes of rte and tv3 and tg4 and channel six is going to lose out on that.

Oh ****. You're joking. I'm gonna lose Conan for this? Fair enough - I would watch some of the shows but, to be honest, not at the expense of Conan. In the words of Noel Edmunds: "No Deal!"

i can't understand why it can't be on terrestrial tv because i think alot of the audience the channel is aiming for don't have digital tv and only have the likes of rte and tv3 and tg4 and channel six is going to lose out on that.

Nuh uh. They want ABC1's watching their advertising. What ABC1 doesn't have cable at this stage? Very few.

• Advertisement

julep wrote:
    we already have a dedicated sports channel. how much more do you want?
    christ, if you have sky or ntl/chorus digital, you can get at least four more sports channels.
    then there's the news channels. another 5 or 6 of them.
    the point is diversity though, if you rule out entire programming sections you are ruling out entire sections of youre possible audience, the main gripe with no sport is why would a channel aim for 18-35 year olds and not have any sport, it musn't want male viewers, as male viewers will switch channel to watch the sport when it comes on.
    you know where i'm coming from here, wednesday night 8pm, hm will i watch the US office on channel six or THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE.

There isn't enough room for them. So I have been told. They would have to provide News and other reg requirements and would have to pay RTE for the use of their network.

are they paying Chorus/NTL any money?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mob

there's a message going across mtv every few min now saying channel 6 is going there and mtv is moving to a new slot between paramount and sky news.

i found this on wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_6_(Ireland)

so two new seasons acording to that but i never really liked 7th heaven much but las vegas isn't terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭ivan087

the ol saying - "same old sh!te" springs to mind. can they not give us all that crap but at least throw in ONE hour of original irish content. a comedy show, drama, just something. theres so many talented irish writers and comedians. its just a waste!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

hahaha...

Great website!

http://www.channel6.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They could at least went with a better provider! :D

The website has been taken down. Last month it was advertising jobs in Channel 6.

I am sure they will put up something later on. Remember it took TV3 4 years before they even had a website.

In fairness that was a different.. age!
    It took RTE 50 years before they got one!!! :p
    I dont have CNBC (Chorus cable), but if i get that somehow great, they better not take paramount!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Elmo wrote:
    Channel Six will take the place of Sky One on Analogue Cable (NTL/Chorus Basic).

Sky One will replace CNBC.

From the 30/03/2006

Dont know where ya got that from elmo, but 6 will be replacing MTV on NTL Analogue basic service. Test tx will begin monday week.

OMG! Are you serious?? Man, If I had NTL I would be so pissed off!!!!!
    Why cant they just be giving a wider variety?!?!
    Whats the story with Chorus?? Please tell me we're not losing a channel for this?!!?

NTL aren't lossing a channel, CNBC is still available on analogue.

Channel 6 might start showing one of the late night chat shows from the states.

I was miss informed note to self: don't beleive everything you read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

I wonder how this'll work on Sky: if they want to be put alongside the Irish channels they'll either have to take number 105 (being 'Channel 6' I doubt they'd like it) or swap somewhere with Sky One. Maybe Sky One would have to become 105 but Sky would try and avoid splitting up Sky One, Sky Two and Sky Three from numbers 106-108 respectively. I can't see them allowing
    105 Sky One
    106 Channel 6
    107 Sky Two
    108 Sky Three
    109 UKTV Gold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,055 ✭✭✭✭Basq

'Prison Break' has been advertised on RTÉ2..

.. so how many more of these "confirmed" Channel 6 shows are bogus?

.. so how many more of these "confirmed" Channel 6 shows are bogus?

I would assume that C6 have cable rights while RTE, TV3 and TG4 will continue to have terrerstial rights. I would not make sence for C6 to bid for exclusive rights at this stage. But it may make sence for RTE, TV3 and TG4 to start looking for exclusive rights to american shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Correct about the cable rights thing elmo, some people just dont read other threads relating to these things before jumping to bogus allegations. Channel 6 will begin to broadcast prison break from Mid Summer

• Advertisement
Advertisement