Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Channel 6 Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well, I guess that settles that then, they'll not be terrestrial, if they've only secured cable rights on some programming.

Where would that place them when DTT launches? Though, I guess, that's another 2 to 5 years away, and new rights will be negotiated then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

remember on ITV Digital, Sky One had at times different programmes to satellite and cable broadcasts due to not having terrestrial rights to some shows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Channel 6 will not be terrestrial at launch stage. Maybe at a later stage this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Channel 6 will not be terrestrial at launch stage. Maybe at a later stage this year.

I cann't see that happening. They would need to be willing to provide something more then just entertainment on C6 if it was to get a terrestrial licence, i.e. News.

113 is an empty channel on NTL Digital now, after sky two. I guess they aren't getting 106 after all.
    remember on ITV Digital, Sky One had at times different programmes to satellite and cable broadcasts due to not having terrestrial rights to some shows

The simpsons one major case.

Channel 6 is now on NTL Digital 106

Ah so they just move each channel up one and that was why 113 was empty.

Also the web page states that they website will be up and running by april.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 member101

So NTL have reorganised their channels. Where has ITV3 gone? Have they scrapped it? Nice of them to give some warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Geff

Lineup doesn't look bad.

But is it not coming to terrestrial TV networks?

So NTL have reorganised their channels. Where has ITV3 gone? Have they scrapped it? Nice of them to give some warning.

I assume it just moved up one. Perhaps 113 was always an empty space.

Not much on ITV3 but repeats of old ITV and American shows.

Okay so whats going to be on C6 but repeats! ah well!

• Advertisement

what about the home produced music programmes, movie programmes, fashion programme, entertainment review prog and stuff like that? Its not all repeats elmo

member101 wrote:

ITV asked for it to be off Irish Sky EPG's some time back, maybe they did the same with ntl

as for terrestrially Channel 6 will not be available

what about the home produced music programmes, movie programmes, fashion programme, entertainment review prog and stuff like that? Its not all repeats elmo

Lets hope not. But when a big company like ITV cann't come up with something orginal for its 3rd channel ....... wait ....... sorry...... I suppose I should judge TV stations on what ITV put on. :D

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 conor563

Can someone clear this up for me. Will channel 6 be on sky because on a different forum today people are saying that the channel are testing on Sky.

Thanks

No Not at launch, and whoever is saying it will does not know what they are talking about. Eventually it will be on sky but not on launch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 conor563

Father Ted thanks for your quick respons here is the link to the person who is saying this.http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=356808 I keyed in the numbers to add channels to sky and there is two channels which are tesing. Could that be it.

conor563 wrote:
    Father Ted thanks for your quick respons here is the link to the person who is saying this.http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=356808 I keyed in the numbers to add channels to sky and there is two channels which are tesing. Could that be it.

Arquiva are looking after the presentation of the channel, so they could be doing some testing alright but it will not broadcast at launch

And setanta got 105.

I think it is good for Irish TV to get those places on the EPG.

Lets hope C6 and setanta can do it.

And yes bye bye ITV3 oh well.

OT: Digital is the biggest con job of the centry :) there's **** all still on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

will it have kent brockman on it lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭irishcsifan

Question? Is csi moving to channel six

• Advertisement

No CSI will not be moving to Channel Six as already pointed out on this thread: -

Channel six have bought cable rights rather then exclusive rights to TV shows just as TV3, RTE and TG4 have only bought terrestrial rights to their shows. It would not be worth it at this stage for C6 to pay for exclusive rights.

So RTE will continue to show CSI and TV3 will continue to show Charmed. Channel six have the first showing of HOUSE and as far as I know RTE have the rights to that also. RTE TWO have started advertising Prison Break as have Channel Six.

Schedule for the two opening nights can be found here : -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=51101926

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭irishcsifan

thats a relief. i know they got family guy and law and order criminal intent and some other good shows

Law and Order:CI is prob still available on RTE when the get around to show it and I TV3 still might have Family Guy.

Channel 6 will get shows first and that will what they will be going for in the same way as E4 and Sky One have first showings of many shows on UK TV before the main UK channels.

Law And Order CI is no real loss to anyone as it is the poorest of the franchise with the exception of Trial By Jury

L&O CI is the best of the franchise IMO L&O:SVU is the poorest of the franchise with the exception of TBJ.

Vinecent D'eff (can spell his name) is the strangest detective ever.

C6 also have L&O.

do they have all of L&O or do TV3 hang onto SVU (2nd best on my list)

RTE, TV3 and TG4 will keep all of the american shows that they currently have on and even some they have just bought (i.e. HOUSE RTE). Channel 6 does not stop any of those channels buying the shows that they buy.

The following shows will be on RTE and Channel 6

The Sapraneos (sp)
    L&O
    L&O:CI
    7th Heaven
    House
    Prison Break
    CSI:Miami

The following shows will be on TV3 and Channel 6

Charmed
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I don't know if they have rights to any shows from TG4's Imports.
    I have not heard anything about L&O:SVU.

I am sure if there are other shows or if Channel Six have any exclusive rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Elmo wrote:
    L&O CI is the best of the franchise IMO L&O:SVU is the poorest of the franchise with the exception of TBJ.

Vinecent D'eff (can spell his name) is the strangest detective ever.

C6 also have L&O.

L& O CI is one of the best shows ever.

Vincent D'eff is superb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I wonder how this'll work on Sky: if they want to be put alongside the Irish channels they'll either have to take number 105 (being 'Channel 6' I doubt they'd like it) or swap somewhere with Sky One. Maybe Sky One would have to become 105 but Sky would try and avoid splitting up Sky One, Sky Two and Sky Three from numbers 106-108 respectively. I can't see them allowing
    105 Sky One
    106 Channel 6
    107 Sky Two
    108 Sky Three
    109 UKTV Gold

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, I thkink 166 is free on the EPG so why don't sky issue that number?

I don't think C6 would be happy with 166.

IMO Sky gave C6 300 or something even worse or they where asking for too much money to have C6 on there platform + they where offering a crummy position on the EPG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Apparently Channel 6 are spending up to 4 million on advertising for their launch. Yet they dont have their web site up and running 2 days before launch...only a test page showing...how stupid is that. Surely one of the best forms of advertising these days i sto get a decent website up and running.

Anyone know how to get a schedule for what exactly they are showing?

First And Second Days viewing: -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054907292

Their orginal test page did state that the website would not be up until April.

The RTE Guide have put the schedule in their Variations column

While the Irish Time have put the schedule along side RTE 1's, RTE 2's, TV3's and TG4's schedules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

conor563 wrote:
    Can someone clear this up for me. Will channel 6 be on sky because on a different forum today people are saying that the channel are testing on Sky.

Thanks

No tests on Sky, nor will it be cable fed through Astra - but it is on Sirius 2, 12111 H 27500 5/6 - the feed is encrypted feed with Cryptoworks, so won't be FTA for those without NTL/Chorus alas. (Not that Sirius is in the locality of the usual dish pointing for the majority of us in any case!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

The channel is showing its promo for the usual crime shows at the moment. Including bits where 2 people get shot in the head. EDIT: also someone getting a pickaxe to the head eugh

How is this acceptable for day time viewing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 john_

i dont know if this channel is anything to get excited about. While it's nice to have another irish Channel, it seems to be offering very little, that we don't already have. Not going on SKy is a bad idea really, If they prove themselves as a good station, it should not matter what number they are on...
    Anyone see the " this is the ericom holding page of channel 6" ??? on there website last week?

Not going on SKy is a bad idea really, If they prove themselves as a good station, it should not matter what number they are on...

Problem is that their are very few good channel on Digital. So to be at the back of rubbish stations wouldn't be all that good for them.

They still only expect to gain 1% - 2% of the audience in their first year.

As for not going on sky I would say Sky asked for too much money to allow them on the Sky network and a very bad position.
    The channel is showing its promo for the usual crime shows at the moment. Including bits where 2 people get shot in the head.

How is this acceptable for day time viewing?

There are many shows that are shown before 9 that could be class as not suitable. e.g. LOST, Despartate Housewifes, Alias and others.

I didn't even notice that 2 people got shot in the head in 2 of their clips.

Elmo wrote:
    Problem is that their are very few good channel on Digital. So to be at the back of rubbish stations wouldn't be all that good for them.

that is generally what advertising is for

back of the EPG doesnt mean impending doom. look at FX

back of the EPG doesnt mean impending doom. look at FX

I dont have FX. What station should I have on NTL Digital Basic?

Cann't find how many viewer FX gets it is not listen on www.barb.co.uk

How do you know it is doing well?

where did i say it was doing well? what i am saying is that it hasnt been shut down/over run with quizzes proving that a channel can survive at the arse end of the EPG providing the advertise their programming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Trip Hazard

Will this Channel go straight to Sky Digital does anyone know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Will this Channel go straight to Sky Digital does anyone know.
    Short answer - nope!

where did i say it was doing well? what i am saying is that it hasnt been shut down/over run with quizzes proving that a channel can survive at the arse end of the EPG providing the advertise their programming

Who owns FX? Rupert Murdock's News Corp.

Why hasn't it been shut down? It is Basically Fox 2.

www.fox.com
    www.fxnetworks.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

doesn't anyone else think its kindof stupid not to put the new channel out terrestrially? people who have the packages its being released with (NTL/Chorus) already have everything the channel has to offer on other channels... bad call there imo

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Are Channel 6 listings available on the interweb yet?

No sign of them in Digiguide yet anyway... :(

Elmo wrote:
    Who owns FX? Rupert Murdock's News Corp.

Why hasn't it been shut down? It is Basically Fox 2.

www.fox.com
    www.fxnetworks.com

FX in the UK is different to FX in the US so i dont see what FX in the states being practically FOX 2 has to do with anything going on over here

FX buy in shows, amazingly some of them are shows not made by Mr. Murdoch but they get shown too. so it goes to show that a good line up and getting your name out there makes for a good channel, not its EPG number

• Advertisement

It is closely linked with FX and Fox in the states and many of the shows are the same.

www.fxuk.tv

But there award for good broadcasting helps.

T&C's of FXUK's website
    These Terms and Conditions apply to Your use of the website located at www.fxuk.tv and its related sites ("Website"). Access to and use of Website is provided by Fox International Channel (UK) Limited subject to the following Terms and Conditions. Use of Website constitutes your acceptance of these Terms and Conditions which shall take effect from the first date You access the Website. Fox International Channel (UK) Limited reserves the right to change these Terms and Conditions at any time by posting those changes online.

I am sure they have very close links to FOX.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lochaber

For anyone who was wondering, looks like Channel 6 is up on Digiguide now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

mambo wrote:
    Are Channel 6 listings available on the interweb yet?

No sign of them in Digiguide yet anyway... :(

Channel 6 listings are now available on DigiGuide. Make sure your provider is set to NTL in order to add the channel. I had to switch from Sky Digital briefly to add this and then go back.

Nice one DigiGuide. What a class peice of software it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Ludo wrote:
    Nice one DigiGuide. What a class peice of software it is.

I concur.

No sign of listings yet on rte.ie's TV guide, or entertainment.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Some schedule comments:

Things I like:
    Good to see an Irish outlets for The Office, House, Numb3rs and down the line Prison Break. Good too to see second runs for the excellent Dead Like Me (season 1 aired on Network 2 a few years ago) and Everwood (still airs on TG4, season 4 must be due in the coming months) - any chance for audiences to see those is welcome. Movies are scheduled at times which don't duplicate other channels - there could be something in that plan (though the watershed will mean there may be edits in some 8pm movies - the satellite/cable encryption rule which allows Sky to transmit 15s movies at 8pm won't apply to Channel 6.)

Things I don't like:
    As much as I like ST:TNG (have the box sets and all), it *has* been repeated to death by Sky One, and Channel 6 would have been wiser to schedule this in a slot other than one identical to Sky's. Why not have a TNG afternoon on Saturdays, or kick off the day at 2pm or 3pm with it daily, rather than have it placed where it has. Not alone that, but with 178 episodes and the show only on WEEKLY, this will take over three years to show!

Stripping Dawson's Creek is nothing new either - E4 did this some years back. Likewise Buffy on Sky and Charmed on LivingTV. Frasier and Sex and the City have been stripped on Paramount. It's not that there's anything wrong with any of those programmes - I like them all. But while it is good to see them on an *Irish* channel, I don't think there's anything unique about their scheduling either, at least nothing that hasn't been tried before. (Frasier, for example, seems to crop up the way Just Shoot Me or Arrested Development does on TV3 - randomly appearing, and not even in episode order, according to Digiguide. Maybe they have some weird repeat clause that allows all their programmes to appear early the following day.)

I'd be more keen to see a schedule which mixed old and new programming rather than rely on what other channels have done recently; the programmes are available on separate licence in Ireland and have been tried-and-tested before, so they'll probably work (and I know 6 has to make money), but there are a host of imported shows which have *never* been shown in Ireland, and I'd like to have seen some imagination in that regard too. I'm also a bit surprised by their not stripping some programmes with well over 60 episodes (7th Heaven, ST:TNG, Everwood, Law & Order, Frasier) which will, at 6's rate, take eons to play out in full.

Long story short, I've seen 99% of all Channel 6's output, and I'm not likely to be lining up to see them all again. But compared to its rivals, I do think the schedule is stronger than most - and if Sky One, LivingTV, Sci.Fi, FX, Hallmark and a host of other channels (not to mention 'other methods' of TV viewing - did not exist, I probably would be tuning in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement