Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan: Heenys Field

Options
  • 08-03-2006 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭

New development for what is locally known as Heenys Field. Hopefuly it will be in taste with the area and take into consideration all the residental property backing onto it.
    A MAJOR new urban quarter is in the pipeline for the centre of Balbriggan in Co Dublin. The project is set to provide a further significant fillip for the rapidly expanding town.

The proposed new scheme will be located on a two acre site zoned for town centre development - fronting right onto Bridge St right in the heart of the town.

The development - for which planning permission will be sought by the summer - is being undertaken by the De Brun Group, headed by Gary Brown.

Mr Brown is the owner of the De Brun pub which will be a key element of the new scheme. The licensed premises was formerly owned by Northern Ireland comedian Frank Carson.

The developer has assembled his strategically located site over the past ten years and recently entered into detailed discussions with Fingal County Council. Finalising Advised by planning consultant Michael Halligan, Mr Brown is now finalising his plans for the new complex backing onto Balbriggan Town Park and right beside the main square.

Sheridan Woods Architects is currently completing the design for the new De Brun centre - expected to provide around 10,000 sq m of new shopping accommodation, offices, commercial/financial and residential accommodation.

Estimated value of the new town centre scheme is around €80m. The scheme will include a pedestrian walkway leading down to the riverside. Mr De Brun and his team have been working closely on this project with the local authority. The latter has already identified the site as a key location in a new urban design framework for the town prepared by Murray O'Laoire Architects for Fingal County Council.

The De Brun plans have been carefully prepared to help meet the local authority's objective of regenerating the centre of the town.

Careful consideration has been given in compiling the design to the Balbriggan Urban Improvement scheme. The new blueprint will also compliment the recently completed Balbriggan Traffic Management Scheme.

Planning expert Mr Halligan elaborates: "Balbriggan is one of the three key development centres in the Fingal area. Swords is the civic capital of this administrative area, while Blanchardstown provides the western focal point and Balbriggan is the northern hub. Upsurge The commercial property sector has not been slow to recognise the scope provided by the upsurge in residential accommodation in Balbriggan and environs.

As reported exclusively earlier this month, a Liffey Valley style scheme has been blueprinted by the Parkway Partnership for a 254 acre site beside the Naul Road to the north and the Fingal Bay development to the south of the town. There has already been significant civic centre redevelopment in the town square.

http://www.balbriggan.net/images/canal2.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

Could be interesting as long as it's done tastefully and not another cement city job like where Dunnes Stores is.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

cement? u do mean cardboard?;)

This is as well as the shopping centre gonig in near supervalu on the main st?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Gary(and partners) have had their eye's on this property for some time and if as much thought goes into the development as de-bruns it should be OK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

I know that this is a bit of a thread hijack but is there any truth in the rumours about the ram-raid on the new Abrakebabra up moylaragh and the thrashing/raid on the new barber shop up there?
    We all knew/speculated that things would eventually turn nasty with so many houses just fuc*ed up in the one area with no infrastructure or back-up services, but yet in my quite sceptical mind this kind of behaviour is way ahead of schedule......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Chopperdog wrote:
    I know that this is a bit of a thread hijack but is there any truth in the rumours about the ram-raid on the new Abrakebabra up moylaragh and the thrashing/raid on the new barber shop up there?
    We all knew/speculated that things would eventually turn nasty with so many houses just fuc*ed up in the one area with no infrastructure or back-up services, but yet in my quite sceptical mind this kind of behaviour is way ahead of schedule......

What are the rumours?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

I didn't hear much more than what I already posted. I was in Balscaddan for a few beers on saturday night and the barman was talking about it.
    I dont know how true it all is so I was wondering had anyone else picked up anything on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Chopperdog wrote:

i heard this the other day aswell, dont know how much truth is behind. Only heard one person talking about it though. wait till the fingal comes out on wednesday it may have more info

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I didn't hear anyhting about it or notice anyhting either.
    I have the pleasure of living there:)

Advertisement