Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Javascript and html editor

Options
  • 08-03-2006 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I need a programme that lets me write simple web pages using html and javascript. I'm not looking to design some flashy fancy pants webpage with pictures and things like that just the basics. If it lets you do all that then that would be a bonus but I really not bothered.

I'm using notepad at the moment but unfortunately that douesn't give any error messages when you screw up the code and I really need that. Free would be preferable (because I'm tight).

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭Trampas

try edit plus

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Might seem strange but I would recommend you download Visual Web Developer. Even if you are not interested in asp.net you can still create ordinary html pages and get colour coding, error messages for general html errors and xhtml errors as you type as well as intellisense for both the html and javascript (if written in the head of the page, move to an external file later). Yes it's free, possibly the best free package out there imo. By all means have a look at the asp.net side of things too if you fancy it. Create a web page with editable, sortable, pageable tablular data with no code whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭MrScruff

Firefox has a Javascript console which gives informative error messages. Textpad/Edit Plus for your text editor with syntax highlighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ConnD3mned

Thanks a lot guys. I decided to use Visual Web Developer. It seems the better of the two(Plus it's free always a bonus).

Musician I would use asp.net but this is for an assignment for college and we have to use javascript for it(Bunch of bloody hitlers they are).

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭andrea

Before I got my hands on Dreamweaver I used Crimson Editor, found it really good for programming in all types of code, including html and javascript. http://www.crimsoneditor.com/
    Quite customisable to suit your needs too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

ConnD3mned wrote:
    Musician I would use asp.net but this is for an assignment for college and we have to use javascript for it(Bunch of bloody hitlers they are).

Ah yes but you could break the mold and show an interest in something other than what you have to study, got me where I am today :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ConnD3mned

musician wrote:
    Ah yes but you could break the mold and show an interest in something other than what you have to study, got me where I am today :)

This guy doesn't care about people who break the mould. Personally I would prefer to use C# for this because I could do it a million times better and could have all sorts of fancy bells and whistles thrown in.

Advertisement