Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting New MPV (06)

Options
  • 08-03-2006 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'll bow to those with more knowledge than me on this. I'm looking at getting a new MPV (ie Renault Grand Scenic and pals) and was wondering if people had any recomendations/experience with new models.

The car will be adapted for a disable passagers, but thats not really that much of an issue from what I've gathered talking to the guys who would most likely be doing it. One seat replaced or depending on the model two.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

I got the grand scenic late last year and i am very happy with it .The rear most seats are only suitable for children in comfort.Would you need a wheel chair in the back with 7 passengers, not sure wether you would have space .I can fit six with a double buggy in the back. plenty of toys ie auto wipers ,lights and handbreak.I looked at the zafira and 5+2 mpvs and the scenic came out tops for me.The Mazda 5 might be worth a look ,it has sliding doors which give good acess to back seats in a tight space.It wasnt out when i looked so i never got to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I have been looking at the Citroen C8. Looks very nice. What ever you do do not compare the Irish spec car to the UK spec one. It will make you very very angry. I have compared a fairly large number of cars but I think this is the worst with regards to what is standard on the UK model but is extra or simply not available in the more expensive Irish model.

That said the Irish one is reasonably well specced with plenty of room. Sliding rear doors as well (electric and automatic in some UK models,) which might be helpful for the adaptation.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

The mazda5 was one we are looking at the sliding doors could be an advantage alright. THey seem pretty new and I havent seem much in terms of feedback on them. The Citroen C8 I'm not so sure off.

We're not dealing with a full wheelchair more like a bulky pram, and the modification is pretty straight forward, just one seat removed and replaced.

thxs for the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Because you are a disabled passanger you will get a vrt refund, thats means it will allow you buy either a bigger car or a higher spec.

I would say stay away from the senic, they are dire.I know most garages will only steal one in, so if your changing every 2 years then stay away from the renault.

The best car for you would be mazda 5, corolla verso, zafira.Or if dont want an mpv style 7 seater try grand vitara 7 seater.

Indeed the lack of vrt and vat does raise the spending bar somewhat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭joeblogg1

Dont Laugh Yet

I suggest having a look at the SSangyong Rodius. While it undoubtedly does not look that refined if is a huge car inside and it has the same 2.7 Litre Diesel engine that is in my Rexton and it is an absolutely faultless engine built under licence from Mercedes (same engine as in the Merc ML270 SUV

Alas I have my pride and I want pretty (well as pretty as you can get with a mpv) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Indeed the lack of vrt and vat does raise the spending bar somewhat.
    Does the not having to pay VRT also cover inporting a car? If so uy one in the north. The spec on pretty much any MPV is much better in the UK. The difference in the C8 is incredible.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

How many seats do you actually need, i.e. are you looking at MPVs because you need 7 seats or because you need a vehcile with good access and boot space for the disabled passenger(s). Have you considerd something like a Renault Kangoo Kar.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would wholeheartedly reccomend a Corolla Verso 2.2 D-4D. cracking engine, great seating system, and doesn't look like a bus.

2004_corolla_verso_25.jpg

Also the Mitsubishi Grandis comes in a new Diesel

MitsubishiGrandis_xx.jpg

If you want to drive for free for the next 2 years, I's say go for a Corolla Verso 1.6 Luna for €29,530 (as close to certain resale value as you're gonna get). The Pre VAT and VRT straight price should be about €17,750, presuming you qualify for the full return. 04 Versos are making about €22500 at the moment. so in two years time your car should be worth €4,000 more than you paid for it this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭horseflesh

colm_mcm wrote:
    If you want to drive for free for the next 2 years, I's say go for a Corolla Verso 1.6 Luna for €29,530 (as close to certain resale value as you're gonna get). The Pre VAT and VRT straight price should be about €17,750, presuming you qualify for the full return. 04 Versos are making about €22500 at the moment. so in two years time your car should be worth €4,000 more than you paid for it this year.

I don't get this. How does one "qualify for the full return"??

horseflesh wrote:
    I don't get this. How does one "qualify for the full return"??
    Its disability based. Let me assure you it's no bargain :rolleyes:

Once again thanks for the suggestions. We're really looking at the Corolla Verso along with Citroen C8 and the mazda5 due to the sliding doors. I'm not sure I'd bother with a 1.6 seems a bit on the weedy side.
    I'd agree its a scandle the difference in features between here and the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I saw a Mazda 5 the other day, sure beats the days when we used to pile out of a Mitsubishi Spacewagon, which actually only ended 3 years ago :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Chrysler Voyager

Chrysler Voyager.

The Toyota Verso is not available in Ireland yet.

Chrysler Voyager.

Toyota are bringing out a new MPV in 2006. It will be somewhere in the middle in size between the Previa and the Avensis Verso with a 2.2 D4D engine. Might be worth hanging around for.

Also the Seat Alhambra is a good option.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Chrysler Voyager.

Toyota are bringing out a new MPV in 2006. It will be somewhere in the middle in size between the Previa and the Avensis Verso with a 2.2 D4D engine. Might be worth hanging around for.

Also the Seat Alhambra is a good option.

The Toyota Verso was lauched here in 2004.

Also, the previa and Avensis Verso replacement isn't official yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Zafira is the best looking MPV out at the moment in my mind.

And for the love of god a SSangyong Rodius i wouldnt care if it had a SL65 6.5l V12 with 612bhp on licence from Mercedes. One look at that .... "thing" makes me sick. :(

There's a new Trajet on the way. nice loking machine with sliding doors

Advertisement