Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread Unfairly Closed?

Options
  • 08-03-2006 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

I think it's unfair that this thread has been closed: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054893716.

I started it for a legitimate reason asking a very straight-forward question. The thread was subsequently "hijacked" by two guys who posted about ten or so messages (between them) pretty much on the topic of a personal argument.

Surly there's a better way to handle this though, like maybe suspending access by these guys to a particular forum, etc?

I felt the thread had not run it's course and had hoped it would open for people to add to over time.

Am I mistaken? Do you think closing this thread was really the right thing to do?

Thanks.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

eoge wrote:
    I felt the thread had not run it's course

Thats not your decision to make. It's why there are mods in place.

Very briefly read parts of the thread, have no idea whats going on tbh but the previous sentence stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭eoge

kaimera wrote:
    Thats not your decision to make.
    That's a lovely attitude. I never for a moment suggested it was my decision; I asked a very straight-forward question:
    Do you think closing this thread was really the right thing to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Perhaps the Moderator anticipated future off topic flamey posts on the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

kaimera wrote:

What decision? He asked why the thread was closed when it was started in good faith, and most the posts were relevant to the discussion.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Ok, before this topic gets derailed, put away your witch-burning equipment and wait until Ph3n0m replies (I've sent him a PM on this), otherwise I predict this thread will explode in a drama-llama for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

And really, I think the Paranormal thread has OD'd everyone on drama this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I have decided to reopen the thread, as soon as I have cut out the crap.

But what irritates me, beside an annoying red rash is why didnt eoge PM me himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054899938

Can someone have a quick look at this thread and tell me why it was locked?
    Thanks

ps i put this in here because i didn't want to start a new thread

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054899938

Can someone have a quick look at this thread and tell me why it was locked?
    Thanks

ps i put this in here because i didn't want to start a new thread
    Probably because it's poll asking the best ways of breaking the law without getting caught.

stevenmu wrote:
    Probably because it's poll asking the best ways of breaking the law without getting caught.

:rolleyes:

Its not against the law to use newsgroups P2P etc, why lock it? its not doing any harm to boards

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

A week just isn't complete unless Fightin Irish posted something moany on the Feedback board. Huzzah!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

:rolleyes:

Its not against the law to use newsgroups P2P etc, why lock it? its not doing any harm to boards
    Are you really trying to claim that you weren't asking which form of downloading is safest from the point of view of breaking the law and not getting caught ?

I'll give you a hint ...
    Which is the safest way to download?
    I always taught newsgroups were, but someone today told me torrents were :rolleyes:
    by safest i mean, more likely not to get caught
    If you weren't planning on doing anything illegal, and asking fellow boardsies to help, why would you be worried about getting caught ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

koneko wrote:
    A week just isn't complete unless Fightin Irish posted something moany on the Feedback board. Huzzah!

Who else will stand up to the tyranny of the moderators?

koneko wrote:

If the place wasn't so strict maybe i wouldn't :)

stevenmu wrote:
    Are you really trying to claim that you weren't asking which form of downloading is safest from the point of view of breaking the law and not getting caught ?

I'll give you a hint ...

If you weren't planning on doing anything illegal, and asking fellow boardsies to help, why would you be worried about getting caught ?

Yes but what harm can it cause, eveyone downloads stuff they are legally not allowed to. Me asking a question about which is the safest isn't harming anyone and won't get anyone in trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

kaimera wrote:

Very briefly read parts of the thread, have no idea whats going on tbh but the previous sentence stands.

Get off your high horse and get a life.

Ph3n0m wrote:
    I have decided to reopen the thread, as soon as I have cut out the crap.

But what irritates me, beside an annoying red rash is why didnt eoge PM me himself?

In my experience PM'ing the mods after an 'offence' only gives them the ability to be ignorant towards you. Feedback is the way forward with complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Ag marbh smells of cat piss, hey when we going for those beers!

azezil wrote:
    Ag marbh smells of cat piss, hey when we going for those beers!

Would say tomorrow but i've gotta go to a gig in the evening. If you're about town on Saturday or something we could meet. I've to collect some things on Saturday morning.

If the place wasn't so strict maybe i wouldn't :)

Moaning day in and day out just turns you into white noise. You're the boy who cried wolf. Now, even if you have a valid point, no one is going to listen.
    "Ah jeez, it's Fightin Irish again.... *tune out*"

Ag marbh, I disagree with that. A lot of mods are reasonable people. If I had closed a thread, and someone PM'd me about in a reasonable/polite manner, I would have listened to their point and said "sure thing, I'll clean it up and unlock it, you're right". Not everything has to turn into a crusade, sometimes things can be resolved very easily without conflict.

koneko wrote:

Ag marbh, I disagree with that. A lot of mods are reasonable people. If I had closed a thread, and someone PM'd me about in a reasonable/polite manner, I would have listened to their point and said "sure thing, I'll clean it up and unlock it, you're right". Not everything has to turn into a crusade, sometimes things can be resolved very easily without conflict.

I don't doubt it but i'm just going from my past experience. Not all had done so but i've had a higher percentage of ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Ag marbh wrote:
    In my experience PM'ing the mods after an 'offence' only gives them the ability to be ignorant towards you. Feedback is the way forward with complaints

a higher percentage of ignor...what?

Feedback is the way forward as long as everyone is looking in the same direction - and I wasnt looking here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ag marbh wrote:
    I don't doubt it but i'm just going from my past experience. Not all had done so but i've had a higher percentage of ignorance.
    So how many mods have you had run-ins with? And how many forums have you been banned from?

Ag marbh wrote:

Well, sending a snotty or angry PM usually doesn't get a good response, if that's what you were doing...

Gordon wrote:
    So how many mods have you had run-ins with? And how many forums have you been banned from?

Plenty. Oh and if you're looking for feedback, you were fantastic....

koneko wrote:
    Well, sending a snotty or angry PM usually doesn't get a good response, if that's what you were doing...

Assumptions!

Ag marbh wrote:
    Assumptions!

Notice I said if? Apparantly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Ag marbh wrote:
    Feedback is the way forward with complaints
    Nope that would be what the helpdesk is there for.

Ah no really you're all great at your unpaid job.
    180px-Blueship.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

lol... yeah i'll give ya a shout saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ag marbh wrote:
    Plenty. Oh and if you're looking for feedback, you were fantastic....
    I wasn't actually but thanks, I didn't know I was doing such a fantastic job! :)

If you've had plenty of bans then I reckon you're just a trouble maker and would be better off going elsewhere. You're probably wasting the mods' time if you've been banned by "plenty".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement