Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old dos games in a window

Options
  • 08-03-2006 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Not sure this is the right place, but I'll give it a go.

I have some old DOS games (Syndicate, Lemmings) that I want to play, but I'd prefer if they were in a window. I thought there was an option on the properties of a .bat file that allowed you to run it in a window, but I can't find it. Anyone help?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There is a program called Dosbox out there that will hopefully run all your old dos games on an XP machine, just google it to find the address

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

was using it to try and play theme hospital yesterday but it's very slow.Not sure if it can be sped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

It can - you can increase the amount of CPU cycles used by DOSBox... set it too high for your CPU though, and everything will grind to a halt.
    VDMsound is a better way to get many DOS games to work in XP, as it only emulates soundcard/joystick systems, so there's not as much of a performance hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Sorry, I'm not sure I was clear. The games are running fine, just full screen which looks a little "off" when I should actually be working ;). Ideally, I could run it in a small window that I could hide when the boss approaches :). I also think these old dos games look better at smaller size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

If you are running in them in dosbox they should be default running in a window ?

There are various front ends to dosbox that allow you to create profiles for games as well e.g D-Fend or dosxboxer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

have you tried pressing alt+enter while the game is running?

the option to run a dos app in a window rather than full screen should be under the "options" tab of the properties box.
    tis in the display options section (think it's in the same place for 2k and xp...)

Advertisement