Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java Help. Displaying if users connect to page.

Options
  • 08-03-2006 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭

i've been lookin for this for while now. i cant seem to find it. i have a webpage. it has an applet on it. is there any way i can get it to say something like "2 users connected"? i need to make a java program that lets users interact with each other and this is a pretty big part.

can anyone help or even point me in the right direction?

java newb btw.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Do u mean an irc chat applet.

if u do google it and ull find a ton of free ones
    http://www.google.ie/search?q=irc+chat+applet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

no, its a multiplayer game im making.

this is only the beginning of it. i need to keep track of the users. i was considering session cookies of some sort. and ill also need get-post requests to send data to the applet so it knows wats goin on ie the players move!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

actually, i might stick a PHP backend on it. then just use POST requests from the applet to the PHP backend. would that be easier? any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

The applet is allowed open sockets back to the server it came from, so you could communicate using PHP pages or jsp using http-put and get. It get's trickier if you want the server to message the client with events -that will rely on a continous tcp/ip stream opened from the client.

You could 'fake' server messaging by making the clients continually poll, but that's a nasty hack.

If you have total access to the server you could write a simple java app that listened on a port which the applet can open.

Advertisement