Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psu clicky noise

Options
  • 08-03-2006 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

My psu is making this clicking noise ! its very annoying , and i need to fix it ! because im too cheap to buy a new one , any ideas to what it is , Oh and its not the fan rubing or anything ,sounds more like sparking i think but i cant see any

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

So its making a noise like an electrical discharge?

You're too cheap to buy a new one.

Guess you'll deserve if your dodgy psu blows your system wont you?

Get a new one you muppet. Faulty electricals are bad mmmkay.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not sounding good. Try lightening the load on it by disconnecting some drives and stuff. If the clicks sound different then it's a new psu that's needed.

things to remember about the insides of PSU's
    - they can kill long after the power is disconnected
    - they probably have the highest technician kill ratio of elecronic equipment
    - there are no user servicable parts in side

borrow one to confirm it's dead and then put an ad in the FS computer wanted section

• Registered Users Posts: 28 implosive

the clicks speed up depending on the power usage, or when the cpu is working hard !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

implosive wrote:
    the clicks speed up depending on the power usage, or when the cpu is working hard !

LoL
    Sounds like your going to need a new one there.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

they can kill long after the power is disconnected
    they probably have the highest technician kill ratio of elecronic equipment
    there are no user servicable parts in side

WOW, I thought they just gave a painful shock, I didnt know they could kill, I have heard of CRT monitors killing but never a PSU that is plugged out:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

conzymaher wrote:
    WOW, I thought they just gave a painful shock, I didnt know they could kill, I have heard of CRT monitors killing but never a PSU that is plugged out:eek:

Yup he ain't kidding. I think it's because they've got huge capacitors inside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

If it is infact coming from the psu then i would replace the thing, there cheap enough imo :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

lol... got buzzed by a PSU before, system started reading errors (BSOD) in every piece of HW I had, tell tale signs of a failing PSU, unplugged it, found a PSU repair guide and decided to open it. Couldn't see any obvious signs of failure (i.e. burnt out capacitors... etc) So I plugged it in again to check what power was coming out of it (the ol' paper clip trick on the 20pin connector). No power. So it was officially bust. Unplugged it, picked it up (by the capacitor) to but the cover back on... ZAPP!!! Man that stung.

Note to implosive: Don't bother trying to fix it, WAY to much hassle for something you can pick up next to nothing anywhere.

Computer recycling places around Dublin have ATXs for dirt cheap (€6)

Here are at least 2 of the places I use.
    1. Fingal Recycling
    2. Electronic Recycling

Thanks everyone ! I have pulled an older crap one out of a case i found ! And it worked ,everything works nicely except for a slightly noisey fan its goin great , no shocks or deaths ! is there any way to reduce the fan speed in the psu ?

Yea there is a way, you can drop into maplin electronics and pick up a variable speed controller fairly cheap too :D

• Advertisement

Anyway without spending a penny ?

lol? cheap bast :P j/k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

implosive wrote:

Try bridging the fan contacts with your finger whilst its running - that should slow it down*

*May hurt/kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

replace the fan in it with a quieter one (also requires money to buy a fan ) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

implosive wrote:

yes, but as the guys said, it may end up costing you your life!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yes, but as the guys said, it may end up costing you your life!
    yes but you wouldn't be annoyed by the fan noise anymore

you could some get egg boxes and make a anechoic chamber to put teh PC in.

maybe the old PSU had a quieter fan, but it would have to match voltage and connectors (some fans have three pins - not all work on 12V) and it would have to match the air flow to avoid fire risk. Airflow is a number you don't have and probably can't find. So grin and bear it, lifes too short, especially yours if poke around inside the PSU , again they are NOT user servicable.

yes but you wouldn't be annoyed by the fan noise anymore

you could some get egg boxes and make a anechoic chamber to put teh PC in.

maybe the old PSU had a quieter fan, but it would have to match voltage and connectors (some fans have three pins - not all work on 12V) and it would have to match the air flow to avoid fire risk. Airflow is a number you don't have and probably can't find. So grin and bear it, lifes too short, especially yours if poke around inside the PSU , again they are NOT user servicable.

TBH i have opened up a psu and changed the fan with no problems, but i suppose it is risky (wear rubber gloves :p ), though i didnt :o

Well I have just changed the fan with the old cpu and it has helped quite alot!
    But I have yet another problem ! , this time its not flashy enof , Im talkin LEDs ,but once again im very cheap and it has to be a no money job ! I have plenty of them lying around and would like to wire them in myself ! any info ? suggestions ?
    these are the LEDs i have lying around , i tink !
    (Peats)

Oh and Yes I am a Very Stingy Bas%*$d ! LOL !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Em, what kind of PSU is it? Its not a 520w OCZ Powerstream is it?

I wish !! its a ( 230w i think ) piece of SH** i pulled out of a busted case i found, with a different fan ! but i want to make it look better with sum LEDs
    any ideas FM

• Advertisement

Ok then, i just found this and the finish looks crap !!!!!
    Crap
    Mabey mine will turn out better !!! :confused:

Does any one know of free mods i can do ? Ideas Please !

you have to be one of the cheapest excuses for a modder i've ever heard of.

I'd say drill 4 holes in the fan and solder in the leds in parallel, hooking them up to the power being supplied to the fan. But you'd probably say something like.

"yeah dont have a drill, any cheap ways of making holes in the fan... fork maybe? Will plastic ones work? Free from the local chipper" :D

Their Free You Say ? ....

Any way would connectin LEDs straight to the power WorK ?
    Would they not just blow up ?

Oh and i have a Drill , got it free when i bought my shoes !! a good deal i must say

sheesh.... why do you have these LEDs if you don't know how to install them? Just work out what kind of resistor you're going to need, usually fans are supplied with 12v from the PSU, just put 4 LEDs in parallel, and place a resistor at the connecting power. If you don't want to work out what resistor you need, usually something between 100ohms and 500ohms should work.

Here is an example just read down the page for the equations.

implosive wrote:
    I wish !! its a ( 230w i think ) piece of SH** i pulled out of a busted case i found, with a different fan ! but i want to make it look better with sum LEDs
    any ideas FM

il sell you a 380watt psu for €15 of u want ;)

Thats a Scandal ! Mabey at 1 euro i might Think about it ! Is it noisy ? any lights , Mabey u cud post a pic !

Thanks L31mr0d , That Helps alot ! , It was a good question About why i have them , Thief'd them from school during the leaving cert !! thaught they wud come in handy sum day

implosive wrote:
    Thats a Scandal ! Mabey at 1 euro i might Think about it ! Is it noisy ? any lights , Mabey u cud post a pic !

it is well worth 15, it is just a basic 380watt, nothing fancy will accept 10 i suppose, much better then your lower wattage psu ;)

After all the work i put into finding a free psu and replacing the fan !
    although for 10 ..... mmmmm !!! Il have to think about it !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

gline wrote:
    TBH i have opened up a psu and changed the fan with no problems, but i suppose it is risky (wear rubber gloves :p ), though i didnt :o
    Didnt your computer go on fire once!:D

Advertisement