Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

combining harddrives partitions

• 08-03-2006 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

i have a hdd with 2 partitions which i want to combine can this be done ?

how can i do it?

cheers

eoinf

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

If they dont have data on then its a piece of píss right click on my computer, choose manage, then disk management.
    If they do have data on them then you need to back it up and restore it after repartitioning or get a tool that can move partitions on the fly like partition magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

theres data on one windows & office both of which i dont have the original cds for the other has no data but is obviously on the same drive how successful is partition magic ive heard mixed reports

Well I've used PM several times to mess around with my partitions with no ill effects (yet!).

If you only have 1 partition with data on and you are merging the other partition back into I would say thats fairly risk free....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

99% of users swear by partition magic. The other 1% have lost data.

Out of curiousity why do you want to do this ?

The upshot is you should never change a partition you arent willing to pay the price of losing....

In my case I have backups of all my important files.

• Advertisement

Out of curiousity why do you want to do this ?

the partition with windows on it has 30gb which keeps filling up. it has all the my documents and crap on it . i tought the harddrive was only 30gb wasnt until i cracked open the pc i noticed its a 120gb

for some reason i have a partition 90gb partition which was hidden with nothing on it
    99% of users swear by partition magic. The other 1% have lost data.

yeah but 63% of people know that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot

will the free version of partition magic allow me to combine the partitions or do i have to get the full version

http://www.soft32.com/download_151.html

Firstly make sure that 90Gb partition isnt some bizarrely sized Hidden system restore partition. sounds way too big but you never know.

Secondly why not format the 90Gb and use that as a data partition keeping the 30Gb as the programs partition? Its fairly straight forward to move your MY Documents and My Music etc to another drive.

i would do that but there a few retarded people using the pc as well it would just be too much hassle . ive already formatted the 90gigs i can use it ok but id just prefer to have it as a big fook off harddrive. i reckon a few of the programs installed would have to have default folders rerouted to the d: drive which i couldnt be arsed doing . ill give partition magic a bash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Why not move your documents to the second partition and point your My Documents folder to it? This is what I do. It has the added benefit of allowing you to format your system drive without data loss.

Although I am currently attempting to recover over 300GB of data that I accidentally formatted and reinstalled Windows over last night :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I had a 2nd Hard Drive with 2 partitions that I wanted to merge into 1 and used PM. It's supposed to move all data from 1 into a folder on the other but once it was done, the folder was inaccessible and I lost everything.

LFCFan wrote:
    I had a 2nd Hard Drive with 2 partitions that I wanted to merge into 1 and used PM. It's supposed to move all data from 1 into a folder on the other but once it was done, the folder was inaccessible and I lost everything.
    Careful now.

Suggesting the use of warez can mean a banning. /CM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I've used partition Magic 8.... it's easy.... and worked, for me anyway :)

John

Advertisement