Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A.i.b new savings

Options
  • 08-03-2006 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

What ye think of new ad for Aib on line savings offering higher interest on saving account or would rabo be better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It depends - do you want to put amounts in on a regularily and be committed to doing that on an ongoing basis, or put a lump sum in and leave it, topping it up now and again or withdrawing from it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Lorcul

I would be putting a regular amount in every month

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I believe AIB's newest online savings plan requires between 20 a month and 1000 to gain the high rate of interest. For lump sums or irregular amounts, Rabo might be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Read the terms and conditions associated with the interest rate. You only get the high rate if you make at most One deduction per year (Apr-Apr) and lodge between €20 and €1000 (max total) in any month. The "bonus" grows for 5 years then starts back low again. I think the claimed 3.75% (variable) is over the 5 years if you adhere to all the T&C in all the years.

RD is 3.2% (variable) each year, unlimited lodgements and withdrawls.

There are also charges associated with having the current ac in AIB. You will most likely end up with more value in accounts using a "free banking" current ac (like PTSB/BOI if you can wrangle it out of them and now I see Ulster bank are offering the same), and a RD/NR account.

I had the AIB one but ditched it and put the money into RD instead. 1x 20c charge rather than 2x 20c.

L.

Advertisement