Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving other cars..Insurance

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Unless you can convince an insurance company to cover both cars (unlikely) you will have to ring an insurance company and take out new insurance for the second car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

kbannon wrote:
    Unless you can convince an insurance company to cover both cars (unlikely) you will have to ring an insurance company and take out new insurance for the second car!

So it's possible for one of my parents to insure the Micra with a different company, and have me as a named driver on it?

There's some nasty catch in there somewhere isn't there?

The micra is yours and you want your parents to insure it so you can drive it? I reckon it will work out (if allowed) as expensive as taking out insurance on your own.
    I can't be bothered going back over all the posts in this again so can you refresh my memory as to why you are trying to get insured on two cars by whatever means possible?

Well it's not technically mine, it was my aunt's, but she doesn't drive anymore (pretty sure my father bought it for her). But my dad agreed to let me use it.

I'm not trying to get insured on two cars, just one. I'm just wondering if one of my parents could insure the Micra with a different insurance company (as opposed to their current insurer) and have me as a named driver on it.

Odds that'd work?

sorry - I had though blastmans last post was yours.

can you not get insured on your aunts car yourself?

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    can you not get insured on your aunts car yourself?

Well yeah I can, got a quote for 2.7k. I'm just looking for ways to get the cheapest insurance I can..
    Can't really blame me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

i have "drive other cars" on my poilcy with hibernan for last 3 years im 27 full licence and fully comp
    when last renewal i asked about it and they said its only there so i could drive other cars in emergency such as to move a car out of danger or out of my way
    also i can only drive other cars so long as mine is outside my house and is not useable for mechanical/physical reason or not suited to the requirements of my need to be on the road ie van for moving something too big to fit in my car
    those are the only reasons im covered to drive other cars without giving hibernan notice

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

i have "drive other cars" on my poilcy with hibernan for last 3 years im 27 full licence and fully comp
    when last renewal i asked about it and they said its only there so i could drive other cars in emergency such as to move a car out of danger or out of my way
    also i can only drive other cars so long as mine is outside my house and is not useable for mechanical/physical reason or not suited to the requirements of my need to be on the road ie van for moving something too big to fit in my car
    those are the only reasons im covered to drive other cars without giving hibernan notice
    It doesn't say that in my policy booklet. They only say that to discourage you driving other vehicles as a matter of habit.

kbannon - I'm not sure if the disk is transferable.

Advertisement