Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Potential new Build

Options
  • 09-03-2006 12:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

I have been playing around now with kompetts PC's for a small while and ive come up with this rig.

I intend to upgrade in about 2-3 months so what do you guys think of what I have below.

I know feck all about cooling. motherboards and PSU's know a little bit about the rest of the computer but yer the experts. Anything I should/should not get.

Anyway have a look and let me know what ye think of it.

Below came to about 1700.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ci.asp?sku=10206
    NorthQ 4775-400, ATX 400W Silent, 140mm
    Creative SB Audigy 4 PCI, 7.1,
    Sony Floppy Drive, 3,5" 1,44MB Silver
    Norman IC, 1 year license Virus Control
    PC box
    SoftThinks Installation/Recovery
    Sapphire Radeon X1300 256MB DDRII,
    Cooler Master Wave Master Silver
    ABIT LG-81, Intel 945G,Socket-775,m-ATX,
    Intel Pentium D 940 3.2GHz Socket
    Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 2048MB
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 400GB SATA
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 400GB SATA
    LG DVD±RW burner, GSA-4167SBB, 16x,
    CNet PCI Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
    LG DVD Drive, GDR-8164SBB, 16x52,

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Anybody?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I'd drop the Audigy 4 and opt for the new Creative Xi-Fi, the Fatal1ty card is great. Or you could get the Xtrememusic card and use the extra cash to get a faster graphics card.

With the launch of the 7900GTX ATI will be dropping prices in the next couple of weeks, so you should get a faster card cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mistmyr

Im no expert but im looking to build my own sys later this summer so iv been doing a little research myself :)

First question, what will the rig be used for mostly ? Gaming, General Home/Office use ????

Also AMD Chips are giving more performance for the € right now.

Also just looking at what you posted you can prob save a few quid by dropping the sound card and Ethernet Adapter, I think that motherboard has both allready built in..... ( posting from work and i cant see Komplett right now to check details )...

Im sure others here can give you more help and advice, I also have a www for a great Self build forum group great info for beginners ect... Ill post it when i get home later..

Anyway Good luck with your new build whatever you decide

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Most modern motherboards come with two Gigabit ethernet adapters, Socket 939 offers great performance and overclockabaility.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Seems dear.
    No need for the anti-virus, free ones can be gotten online.
    Graphics is crap if you want to play games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

@ OP
    bah drop the intel mobo + cpu + gfx and get better :D
    do you need all the hdd space ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Yea seems very dear to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

scrap the pci 1gb card. PCI is a bottleneck for it. Try to get a mobo with it onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Get a beefier power supply. I wouldn't bother with more than 1 optical drive... you have 2 400gig hard drives, you don't need to go direct disc-to-disc :)
    I agree with the other posters about dumping the pci network card and upgrading the graphics card too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Quite a lot of wasted money in that kit.

A good description of what you want to use the PC for would be handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Lose the fdd, the audigy, the low powered PSU, the AV, the extra DVD drive, the installation/recovery thing, the intel mobo... in fact lose it all and start again.

Use a good integrated mobo, like a dfi lanparty. More on the mobo means less to add, means more money for a good gfx and memory.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

€1700 for a 3.2ghz P4 system:eek: :eek:

You could get a Dual core AMD system and a 7900GTX for that price;)

Advertisement