Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SnagLists A Few Questions

Options
  • 09-03-2006 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I will be moving into my new house within the next 10 weeks. Just wondering in regards to the snaglist...........

Typically when does this take place ??
    Do builders properly act on the issues highlighted
    Approx price of snaglist based on a 4 bed semi circa 1350 sq ft.

I assume that the sale will not be closed until the snags if any are actioned.

Can u be too pendantic when it comes to highlighting issues and therefore piss off the builder. Can someone possibly post a copy of a snag so I know what to expect.

Thanks in advance:) :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

If your house will be ready in 10 weeks, then that is when you'll be invited to snag.

We do it as follows :-

1. I tell our solicitor to issue a closing notice and invite the purchaser to snag the house/apartment. We only accept appointments for snags, no "just showing up on the offchance and bringing all my mates for a gawk". It's a building site & safety is paramount. Without an invite to enter site, you're not insured to be there...

2. I expect clients to make contact within 3-4 days. If they fail to respond, they are told that their sale will close without snagging (tends to encourage them to inspect the house)

3. It should take about 1-2 hours to generate a snag list. I like to see them done room by room in a logical order as then it's easier for the site guys to follow the list. They should be typed up and submitted either by fax/post/email to the builder within 48 hours of inspection. Allow a week for the snag to be carried out. When the snag is done, you'll be invited back to inspect the work and highlight any items that have not been done.

4. You only get 1 (one) opportunity to do a snag list and we do not accept extra items tacked on at the reinspection which you "forgot about". If it's not on the list at the start, we won't do it (unless it's a fault and then it's covered under the warranty - 6 months minor defects, 12 months manufacturers warranty or 18 months major faults warranty)

5. If for some reason a snag item can't be completed within 14 days (i.e. a scratched pane of glass which needs to be reordered and could take 4-5 weeks), we would issue an undertaking to complete the work within a certain timescale and the purchaser's solicitor would hold back a small sum of money - say €1k, until such time as the fault was remedied

6. Get a professional to do your snag list - you should be paying about €300-500 for this and make sure their fee covers the reinspection.

7. Shrinkage cracks/settlement cracks are NOT covered under the warranty - they are a natural part of the house drying out. The builder will fill any cracks that appear pre-closing, but after that it's your responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

try www.homesnag.ie

these guys are pretty good...and reasonably priced too...

as for stuff not on initial snaglist....if its a problem that needs to be sorted tell the builder...dont take of the 'it wasnt on the snaglist' crap...

you may need to do a snag list/inspection a couple of times to get everything done correctly..

dont let your solicitor close the deal until you are happy that everything that needs to be done is completed to your satisfaction...builders have a habit of 'forgetting' about your problems once they have your money...not all builders though...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

bullrunner wrote:
    try www.homesnag.ie

these guys are pretty good...and reasonably priced too...
    any other suggestions?
    I contacted these guys yesterday and they told me they weren't experienced enough to do a snag list on a log cabin as its very specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mcgrate

Hi Macker1,

I will be happy to email you a copy of my snag list if you give me your email address.
    PM it to me if you want.

Advertisement