Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting Down

Options
  • 09-03-2006 3:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

hi,

i'm very sad to say that my dog will probably have to be put down tomorrow. he's 15 and was going strong til a couple of weeks ago but his kidneys have failed.

got prescription dog food off vets after they put him on drip for a couple of days but he won't eat it, or anything else.

was wondering, what are the options with regard to his remains?

i've heard that vets just dispose of dogs in a bin. is this true? or does anyone know what happens?

i just couldn't imagine that happening to my little fella. i've had him since my 13th birthday - i'm now 28....

gutted,

k.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

I think i heard somewhere that theres pet cemetrys, that'd be a good place to put him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 OBrien

Heartfelt sympathy Kraggy. Went through this a few months back - it's a very hard thing to do and I wasn't prepared for the loss afterwards. We had the vet come to the house so our old boy was calm and secure - he never liked going to the vets. He went off very peacefully and I buried him in the corner of the garden.

There is a pet cemetery in Enniskerry in Wickow (01) 276 6077 and a Crematorium in Bray (01) 2722142

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

I know that our local vets gives the remains to the veterinary college for medical science, I think this is a good option becuase it helps them to develop cures, train more vets and discover better ways to treat our beloved pets.

Losing a pet is an awful experience, but if donating the body to science can help ease others suffering then I think it is a good thing. IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

You can also get your pet cremated. I got my cat cremated last August when I had to get him put to sleep. He is now in a lovely wooden box on top of the telly with his name plate on same and a picture of him beside it. Means I will always have him at home.

It wasn't that dear but I felt it was the least I could do for an animal that had shown so much love and affection to me. Might be the answer for you.

Its not an easy thing to have to bring your animal in to be pts but stay with him till the end so at least your is the last face he sees and that will be a face that loved him and he won't be scared

• Advertisement

thanks so much folks,

not sure i'd fancy giving him to the veterinary college.

i'm leaning towards either burial out the back garden or cremation though i'm not sure how the neighbours would take it if i buried him there.

how much was the cremation lass (though money isn't an issue really when it comes to my little fella, just curious) and where did you get it done? is bray the only place in ireland? (i live in galway)

thanks a million,

k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Petitchien

Hi Kraggy,

I am very sorry to hear about your dog ... it's quite a cruel coincidence actually ... our family dog of 12 years had to be put to sleep yesterday afternoon.
    He had cancer of the brain ... quite ironic as my Mum died of the same thing a few years ago ... Sammy was a wonderful dog and a great companion for my Mum during her various treatments so my one consolation is that they are together again ......

There would be no better companion than Sammy who gave his heart and soul to us. He will be sadly missed....We loved him dearly.

He is now buried in our garden under his favourite sunny spot .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Hi Kraggy,

Hope it wasn't too bad for you today and that you're okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

it cost me €150.00 for an individual cremation and it comes back in it's own wooden box with a plate on it with the animals name on it, it's lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I`d go for burying him in the garden just make sure its deep enough. TBH I really can`t see why your neighbours would object.

• Advertisement

latest update...

firstly, thanks a million for all the info/help you've given.

the latest news is quite unbelievable.

the little legend has perked up somewhat and is in the vets as we speak. he's on a drip to clean out his blood and improve his kidney function.

he's bubbly as ever and looks like he's not going anywhere for a while yet.

such a big change to wednesday night when i genuinely thought he was going to have to be pts.

he's coming out of the vets tomorrow.

i'll keep ye posted...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭White Rabbit

*NUTS* there goes dinner...

:p

I jest, i don't eat dogs, or cats, or goldfish, or parrots, or cows, or sheep, or pigs, or well, you get the idea

Advertisement