Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The most expensive place to park illegally

Options
  • 09-03-2006 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Wow!

Cam across a sign on the way to work this morning. Barnados are charging an unbelievable €250 yes €250 for their clamp release if you park illegally on their grounds. For turning a key? What kind of rip-off price is that?

I know the point is you shouldn't park illegally on their grounds in the first place, and no I wasn't charged that, just saw it on the sign....

A tad OTT for a clamp release fee wouldn't you say?

Comments

There are a growing number of carparks that do this :(

There is one in Naas where there is a private pay parking area beside the public pay parking area. Both machines are the same, not too far from each other but use the wrong ticket in the private one and you get clamped with a large release fee.

The private one is 5x times the price of the street parking and is 24 hours! :eek:

People assuming from the street signs that pay parking is only 9 -7 may park there logically thinking the same applies in the private carpark. According to a shop nearby they have been known to clamp cars in the middle of the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Marica

If you're talking about their Christchurch HQ, it's one of several buildings in a managed complex and like all managed complexes the grounds are maintained by a management company who are responsible for all communal areas including the car parks. The clamping and unclamping and the setting and collection of the release fee would be a matter for the management company and not the organisations based there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

I never pay for parking in that car park you are on about in Naas after 7.., defintly not after 7.. and aint got clamped yet.. Middle of the night I'd could cut the ****ing thing off if they did clamp me..
    TK

NeMiSiS wrote:
    I never pay for parking in that car park you are on about in Naas after .., defintly not after 7.. and aint got clamped yet.. Middle of the night I'd could cut the ****ing thing off if they did clamp me..
    TK

Feel free to post a thread about it if you do ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Since private car parks clamp you on the basis of a contract between you and the owner, if you make it abundently clear you do not consent to being clamped they should have no authority to do so. One way of doing this would be to put a massive notice on your dash, maybe.

No judicial precedent for this apart from a UK case which made it clear private parking areas must clearly avertise their clamping policy, and then if a person parks there they are held to have agreed to the policy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What is the problem with having a €250 fine for illegal parking? If someone decides to park on private property and inconvienence the owner then why should you care?
    Car park spaces can cost more than 10grand per annum in Dublin so if someone is prepared to rent one surely they are entitled to protect it from lowlifes who feel they can park anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

And in fairness, it seems they are advertising the policy clearly. Hmm - maybe they don't want people parking there, which is surely their right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

ronoc wrote:
    Feel free to post a thread about it if you do ;)

No probs .. pics and everything..
    TK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭lifegamer

And in fairness, it seems they are advertising the policy clearly. Hmm - maybe they don't want people parking there, which is surely their right?
    What is the problem with having a €250 fine for illegal parking? If someone decides to park on private property and inconvienence the owner then why should you care?
    Car park spaces can cost more than 10grand per annum in Dublin so if someone is prepared to rent one surely they are entitled to protect it from lowlifes who feel they can park anywhere?

I totally agree that people shouldn't park there and they're within their rights to protect it, but isn't €250 a bit over the average of around €90 to get a clamp released? They seem to be trying to make money from the fact that they are now allowed to clamp the cars and also the fact that you have no choice but to pay. It's not like you could just go somewhere else for a better quote! Was a shock to the system to see a clamp release fee that high is all, just wondering if any other boards drivers have seen or payed similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Maybe they figure that €250 will deter more people from parking than €90? Hint: you are not paying for the 'service' of having the clamp removed.

I guess the ideal with such a high clamp fee is that it the deterent will be successful and thus no-one will ever have to pay it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Most expensive place? prob if you parked at the end of my drive so I couldnt get out in the morning. You would come back to find your car beaten into a pulp with a bat:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

There is a solution to the €250 release fee (and I heartily condone this where "dubious" tactics are used to slap on the clamp, such as inconspicuos signage, etc.)

Cut your tyre off (let the air out first though!)

For 250 bucks you could get any mobile tyre fitter to stick the tyre of your choice on.........

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

"It's not like you could just go somewhere else for a better quote!"

Well actually, you could. Just park somewhere with a lower clamp release fee!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

kbannon wrote:

i fully agree with the above statement

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Anan1 wrote:
    Well actually, you could. Just park somewhere with a lower clamp release fee!;)

Or park legally!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

does the €250 go to charity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

NeMiSiS wrote:
    I never pay for parking in that car park you are on about in Naas after 7.., defintly not after 7.. and aint got clamped yet.. Middle of the night I'd could cut the ****ing thing off if they did clamp me..
    TK

Roffle, reminds me of that episode of 5th Gear. The one where Vicky what's-her-name was showing how to take the clamps off.
    Have a fairly hefty angle grinder in your car and you're sorted!
    colm_mcm wrote:
    does the €250 go to charity?

ROFFLE :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

A lot of cars would not even be worth €250 and the owner might just say f**k it and leave it.

Advertisement