Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Savage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Superdub2

i think he does a great job, easily annoys all the idiots he tries to wind up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

funny stuff.

You have to question the smarts of a player who would actually get involved in a discussion like that and when it started playing that I was thinking "oh here we go...." but I reckon Savage came out of it better than that loudmouth who was having a pop at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

The fellow on the radio is a pure thick, Robbie made a right gobs**t out of him. Class. Well done Robbie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

good interview,your man taking a pop at savage was losing it a bit at the end,
    childish springs to mind,robbie,hold your head up high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I never know what to think of Savage. He's the kind of player you can only really love when he plays for your club. That clip really improved my opinion of him though.

Nice link though, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

That's class, who was the pundit anyway? He sounds to me like the Welsh equivalent of Dunphy.

Savage is a great player but he's a pure wind-up merchant. In doing that though, he not only annoys the other team, but gets his own team-mates and fans pumped up.

I'm happy he's not playing for Wales at the minute, their midfield will be much weaker against Ireland without him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

normally i hate robbie savage, but that was class
    well done robbie \o/ !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i didnt think robbie came across that well - very whingey. the "welsh dunphy" was grand until he though there was a conspirecy going on and ranted a bit.

i wouldnt play robbie savage and toshack knows he's not a great player; and his i play ahead of Tugay comment - you've got to be kidding me...

Call_me_al wrote:
    i didnt think robbie came across that well - very whingey. the "welsh dunphy" was grand until he though there was a conspirecy going on and ranted a bit.

i wouldnt play robbie savage and toshack knows he's not a great player; and his i play ahead of Tugay comment - you've got to be kidding me...

How exactly? He does play ahead of Tugay. He's Blackburn's first choice central midfielder. Partnered by either Tugay or Steven Reid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

yeh but its hardly better than playing against a GOOD midfielder!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Savage made himself look a tit "I play ahead of a 34 year old"!

Tugay is a well respected Premiership midfielder. That was his point. You will see the pundit agrees with him that Tugay is a good midfielder so how is Savage making an idiot of himself?

He also repeatedly asked how Carl Fletcher or Jason Koumas were better than him. The pundit's reply was that they were better passers.

Savage could have went on to belittle the two of them and point out that he has spent most of his career in the top flight whereas they are lower league players but he didn't. He clearly makes the point that he doesn't want to criticise players he used to perform with.

The pundit is saying Savage isn't worth a place in the Welsh squad yet he recommends players who play for Championship teams and he recognises the quality of a player that Savage is chosen ahead of for Blackburn.

Then when Savage goes on to question him about his links to Toshack, who it sounds like the pundit is a friend of, he loses the head. Who sounds like the hypocrite there?

Toys, Pram, Thorowing.

And on top of that I'd like to add my two pence on the whole is he good enough to start for Wales thing.

I'd play Kumas and Fletcher ahead of him to be honest.
    They are a better pairing than Savage/Fletcher or Savage/Kumas because there is a lot more blaance, flecther sits back, breaks up play and spreads the ball better than Kumas takes the ball in, runs at players, plays great balls in to strikers and wingers and keeps the attack going a lot better than Savage, so while savage may be a better alround player than both, he isn't the best choice for a midfeild two paring when both are fit.

He still deserves a place in the squad even if you do think that. He's one of few actual Premiership midfielders that Wales have. He's also their most experienced central midfielder I'd imagine.

By the way, I'll make a point Savage didn't want to (because it'd involve slagging them off):

I'd play Kumas and Fletcher ahead of him to be honest.
    They are a better pairing than Savage/Fletcher or Savage/Kumas because there is a lot more blaance, flecther sits back, breaks up play and spreads the ball better than Kumas takes the ball in, runs at players, plays great balls in to strikers and wingers and keeps the attack going a lot better than Savage, so while savage may be a better alround player than both, he isn't the best choice for a midfeild two paring when both are fit.

If those lads are so good at the tasks you have described, why haven't they been scooped up by some Premiership side? Plenty are looking for players with the qualities you have just described.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

The pundit is Leighton James, he was in the Welsh team in the eighties. One of there better players I believe., Basically listening to that Savage is a little S***Head. At least when Roy Keane had his probelms with mick McCarthy he didnt go on Radio\TV mouthing off constantly about the guy. Remember Savage asked to go on that Radio show, I also remember him saying something like "Toshack cant handle the big time palyers thats why Im not in the squad". The fact with this guy is he is an unloyal B*****D. He is not in the top 20 midfield players in the premiership yet he gets all this commotion about himself. Wales need all the players they can get and he just decideds to throw the towell in and then has a go at everyone. Come on..I personally wish that Sissko or some hard man in the premiership would break him up.

DaveH wrote:
    The pundit is Leighton James, he was in the Welsh team in the eighties. One of there better players I believe., Basically listening to that Savage is a little S***Head. At least when Roy Keane had his probelms with mick McCarthy he didnt go on Radio\TV mouthing off constantly about the guy. Remember Savage asked to go on that Radio show, I also remember him saying something like "Toshack cant handle the big time palyers thats why Im not in the squad". The fact with this guy is he is an unloyal B*****D. He is not in the top 20 midfield players in the premiership yet he gets all this commotion about himself. Wales need all the players they can get and he just decideds to throw the towell in and then has a go at everyone. Come on..I personally wish that Sissko or some hard man in the premiership would break him up.

Are you serious? you asking for a player to get hurt? I have a word for peopele like you but personal abuse isnt allowed so I will keep it to myself.

Also do you actually watch footie? Savage is a great midfielder player and he is twice the player Sissko is. Sissko couldnt tackle to save his life and his passing is one of the worst in the PL. Im not saying he is brutal but he is young and has the making of a good player but need to work on a few things.

Savage has already shown in the PL what a good player he is, look what happned to Birmingham after he left? they went down to relegation zone nad Blackburn who where there moved up the table to around where Birmingham used to be, its not all Savage but he has been a great help for Blackburn, he breaks up play, runs the whole midfield, can pass the ball, score the odd goal, Is also useful at free kicks, also helping Reid to become a better player which can only help Ireland.

Did you watch the Wales v Italy game a few season ago? prob not because if you did you would have seen the Italy v Savage show in the first half. He was brillant and the Italy midfield was no joke either.

Again I really think people who make comments lioke above should be banned for life from all forms of football. Comments that you would like a player to get injuryed are a disgrace, player are people and I know for sure I wouldnt like to see any player,even the ones I hate, having to spend 2-3 years in rehab so they could walk proper. Your the type of fans that would have joined in with the group of fans that attacked the Smith ambulance when it was leaving Anfield. Your a disgrace

DaveH wrote:

Savage obviously asked to go on and have his chance to make a fool of the man and his opinion, which he managed quite easily.

He wasn't unloyal. He admits he threw his toys out of the pram because he was left out of two squads. He has tried to apologise but Toshack doesn't seem willing to accept it. Did you even listen to the clip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

To be honest as much as I despise the man I have to agree with Robbie here. The pundit made a show of himself and basically came out of it as a friend of Toshack who wont hear anything other than bad about Robbie.

There were a few moments in it as well where I thought Robbie was being his oldself but on the whole he came out much better.

Blackburn manager Mark Hughes has offered his backing to Robbie Savage after the midfielder's outburst at Wales manager John Toshack.

Savage criticised the Wales boss on a radio phone-in saying he fears he will never win another cap while Toshack is manager.

Hughes, Toshack's predecessor and now Savage's club manager, said: "Robbie is a very passionate Welshman and very proud of his career as a Welsh international.

"His family and friends are still based in Wales and he gets to hear what people are saying.

"He has kept his counsel for a few months but feels he has to put the record straight about some of the rubbish spoken about him and which has been difficult to take."

Toshack dropped Savage immediately after taking over from Hughes and the pair have not spoken since.

Savage told Real Radio Wales: "I know for a fact while John Toshack is manager I will never play for Wales again. If I'm still playing after he's gone I'm sure the next manager will pick me.

"But I desperately want to play for Wales again, and I'm prepared to get on my knees to John Toshack in order to play again."

• Advertisement
Advertisement