Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Test drive insurance when selling

Options
  • 09-03-2006 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭

I'll be selling my car privately very soon (just waiting to NCT it TBH) and am wondering what the situation is regarding insurance cover for people test driving it.

From what I can see, the only way to go about it is for them to temporarily get comprehensive insurance on my car (as they will only be covered third party on their normal policy). However, is there any way for them to prove that they have switched cover other then ringing the company in my presence - something which may not be an option on a Sunday etc.? I was thinking of getting them to sign a document declaring that they have informed me that they are comprehensively insured to drive my car and accept that they are liable for any damage to my car from time X to time Y. Would this be OK or am I going overboard?

Apologies for bringing something up which was covered before, but the old thread seemed kinda inconclusive...

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Most motor policies include a clause that allows the policyholder/insured to drive cars not registered in their name with 3rd party cover.

This will not help if your potential buyer crashes or damages your car through his/her own fault however.

It's a problem and a worry, no doubt about it.

Your idea of a signed document is a good one, but it'd be completely valueless afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

You can always include in your ad "No test drive without insurance transfer" I would not let anyone test drive my car without Comprehensive cover. There's plenty of buyers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Your idea of a signed document is a good one, but it'd be completely valueless afaik.

Not if it's written in the form of a binding contract with indemnifying clauses, however (i.e. "I-understand-that-if-I-damage-the-vehicle-blah-blah-blah-I-will-be-held-personally-accountable-for-paying-the-repairs/indemnifying-the-loss-in-full" + sign + date) & don't forget to obtain proof of who person is they say they are.

Of course, the tricky part is enforcing it if, God forbid, it ever had to be.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

ambro25 wrote:
    Of course, the tricky part is enforcing it if, God forbid, it ever had to be.

My point exactly. I think that would be impossible.

I know of a guy who was selling a very valuable and fast car quite recently.

He insisted that anyone who wanted to drive his car must either produce evidence of comprehensive insurance or deposit a draft for the selling price in his house beforehand.

This weeded out all the messers, and he had no problem selling.

On an ordinary car most punters would baulk at this I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

It depends on the car, if its a 00' Micra, you are going overboard. If its a Gallardo you are not. I gave a guy a test drive in my Prelude VTEC and he insisted on needing to see what top speed it would do - the test ended rather abruptly with me telling him to get out. You need to suss out any prospective test drivers too - most folk won't want to do anything other than drive it. I had a guy test drive a car one time and his test consisted of driving it forward at low speed and pulling the handbrake - he did this four times and wrote a cheque for theasking price of the car. Weirdo.

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

On an ordinary car most punters would baulk at this I'd imagine.
    And this is my problem. It's a fairly ordinary car (00 Focus) but it's my paid-for ordinary car! I reckon that damage is probably more likely on a testdrive as the driver is not used to the car and want to cover my ass yet not put people off!

/off topic: Just booked it for the NCT and can't get it done till April 4th:mad: Means I'll have her sitting on my drive for 2 more weeks than planned and due to insurance issues I can't realistically drive my new car with comprehensive insurance until I sell the Focus!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The only way to be sure that you are covered is to make sure you have the cost of the car in your hand before they get the keys. If you don't then they could crash the car and then just walk away.
    I wouldn't pay much heed to an insurance cert as this could have been cancelled or anything.
    However, I would still insist on them having an insurance cert so that they can drive the car - I just would ensure that i have the cash rather than have to make a claim.

As for speeding etc., get their licence and copy their name and other details because if you receive a notice 6 weeks later you might need these details!

kbannon wrote:
    The only way to be sure that you are covered is to make sure you have the cost of the car in your hand before they get the keys. If you don't then they could crash the car and then just walk away.
    I wouldn't pay much heed to an insurance cert as this could have been cancelled or anything.
    However, I would still insist on them having an insurance cert so that they can drive the car - I just would ensure that i have the cash rather than have to make a claim.

As for speeding etc., get their licence and copy their name and other details because if you receive a notice 6 weeks later you might need these details!

I sold my car last night. Nice bloke, a good driver, and not a speeder as it turned out.

I reckon had I asked him for a draft or cash for well over over €20k prior to the test drive he'd have laughed at me and promptly left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I bought two cars in the last week, drove both of them without the owner coming with me and neither asked for insurance or any deposit in case I did a runner - I must look very honest...

'cptr

P.S I'm not a trader, I help people buy and sell cars as my hobby. (mike65 is going to lifetime ban me if I don't say that)

Advertisement