Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do we have too many TV Channels?

• 09-03-2006 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

Channel 6 is about to hit our screens but what will be new about it? It's probably going to rehash the same imports that we have seen time and again on many other channels.

While I'm all in favour of choice I'm beginning to wonder do we have any choice at all. Most of the channels are showing the same programs time after time. I'm not just talking about the junk channels on Sky. Even the much admired BBC1 is riddled with constant repeats which are then repeated again on BB3 or BBc afew hours later.

The fact that most stations now have DOGs is testament to the lack of difference between them. In most cases if it wasn't for the DOG you wouldn't be able to guess the station.

The best thing surely has to be Sky+, watch one repeat and record another one for later.

I like poker but for gods sake do they have to trot out "B list" celebs or even their brothers to play. Where do you leave the guys commentating on on-line poker games that have already been played?

As for the tripe "talk to me for money and I'll wriggle my bits" channels, how low does it get.

If you had the choice, how many of these channels would you delete from your EPG ?

The reality TV phenomena is symptomatic of producers desperately trying to come up with something new. We've been subjected to Big Brother, gangs, hardest pubs, dirtiest houses, wife swapping, tatoos... The list goes on, unfortunately.

The only reality on TV is the programs are only there to pad out the ads.

As Bruce Springstein said "57 channels and there's nothing on".

/Edit End Rant

Do we have too many TV channels? 16 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    31% 5 votes
    No opinion
    62% 10 votes
    Atari Jaguar MkII Turbo
    6% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

yes there are to many, they all show the same ****,
    I would be just as happy if half of them were shut down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Hagar wrote:
    Channel 6 is about to hit our screens but what will be new about it? It's probably going to rehash the same imports that we have seen time and again on many other channels.

While I'm all in favour of choice I'm beginning to wonder do we have any choice at all. Most of the channels are showing the same programs time after time. I'm not just talking about the junk channels on Sky. Even the much admired BBC1 is riddled with constant repeats which are then repeated again on BB3 or BBc afew hours later.

The fact that most stations now have DOGs is testament to the lack of difference between them. In most cases if it wasn't for the DOG you wouldn't be able to guess the station.

The best thing surely has to be Sky+, watch one repeat and record another one for later.

I like poker but for gods sake do they have to trot out "B list" celebs or even their brothers to play. Where do you leave the guys commentating on on-line poker games that have already been played?

As for the tripe "talk to me for money and I'll wriggle my bits" channels, how low does it get.

If you had the choice, how many of these channels would you delete from your EPG ?

The reality TV phenomena is symptomatic of producers desperately trying to come up with something new. We've been subjected to Big Brother, gangs, hardest pubs, dirtiest houses, wife swapping, tatoos... The list goes on, unfortunately.

The only reality on TV is the programs are only there to pad out the ads.

As Bruce Springstein said "57 channels and there's nothing on".

/Edit End Rant

End your NTL or Sky deal if you don't like it! I find the repeats to be quite handy especially e4 plus 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

ateam wrote:
    End your NTL or Sky deal if you don't like it!
    I need a new smiley for that one...

A repeated program is one thing, the same programs repeated endlessly is quite another. Some of these channels broadcast for 12 hours then repeat, this is mimiced by a +1 version of the same channel so the program, which may well be a repeat from a previous broadcast, is repeated 3 times on the same day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Hagar wrote:
    I need a new smiley for that one...

A repeated program is one thing, the same programs repeated endlessly is quite another. Some of these channels broadcast for 12 hours then repeat, this is mimiced by a +1 version of the same channel so the program, which may well be a repeat from a previous broadcast, is repeated 3 times on the same day.

So?? You're not being forced to watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Ive seen this time and time again, Sky has far too much crap... there are good channels hiddden here and there that arent plagued by repeats after repeats ad films starting again 5 minutes later on the next channel up so you dont miss the opening credits, but the majority of the hundreds of channels wouldnt be missed if they just disappeared over night.

Come back to the 'poverty 8'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

ateam wrote:
    So?? You're not being forced to watch it.

I've just raised a topic for discussion, that's all.
    You're not freelancer in disguise are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This is what I use the 'Favourites' function in Sky Digital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

We have enough to answer quite robotically, now steering onto the controversial or supposedly so "the Repeats"

Im going to be as calm and as resonable in manner as I possible can handle myself

for FUKS sakes, its so FUking toilet paper. The whole Fuking point is that Most of the stations repeat is of course annoying and sometimes convienent, but when you have Five stations repeating the shows and repeating the same repetive shows is indeed very very annoying , oh yes the ominbus, its not jsut about convienence and choice for the viewer but also very convienant for the station.. Wouldn't be great if we could eat the same favorite food and of course junkie food over and over and over and get the nutrition from it, know we can't, Okay i'm driving off the point but,

and its not just about choice when:

You have a black and white movie on, Ricki lake, Emmerdale, Emmerdale, AND Coronation street five channels decide to air news at the same time and the whole repeating action sceniro AGAIN. I say its a whole load of Baloney!!! and why have Chicago hope repeated twice in the space of two hours, why, why.

Jesus my washing machine does less repetition..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

We have too many REPEATING CHANNELS coming from Britian i.e. E4, More 4 (no matter how the spun the launch) sky one, sky two, ITV 2, 3, 4, Living TV etc etc.

Channel six big mistake will be too many repeats and little Irish TV. There Irish TV cann't all be entertainment shows which they will repeat again and again.

But thats me getting down on Channel 6. If they are to be beleived they could easily have a successful Chat Show.

In Ireland we need the role out of DTT (Digital Terrestrial Television). Since it has to happen this Idea of giving up space to BBC 1, 2, ITV 1(espically with TV3 around) and C4, would be foolishly allowing huge competition from aboard before letting newer Irish stations gain a foot hold. Let face it each of the 4 british channels already have an unfair advantage over channel six since they already have a strong foot hold in Ireland and hugh budgets (regardless of if their not aimed at the irish viewer) they completely have an unfair advantage to give them more would be fruitless for Irish Productions.

The development of Digital TV in Ireland needs to start and rather then going for repeating and 15 - 35 age group TV lets go for something different and orginal.

Good luck to Channel Six

Nice to see Atari Jaguar back that isn't used on polls enough, is MkII Turbo a new an improve Atari Jaguar?

Advertisement