Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infrared Dectector Circuit

• 09-03-2006 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭

I wondering if someone could help me with this. I have a timing system that consists of a set of electronic eyes. One recieves the infrared signal from the other. The thing is I want to build a circuit to put on the reciever so that when it recieves the signal a led lights up. This is so I can set them up easily.

It would be cool if anyone could tell me what kinda component would I need to recieve the signal up to about a 150feet, and isn't affected by ambiant light.

The rest of the circuit i pretty much can build. I guessing a simple transistor circuit would do. It's just that I don't know what to use as the IR detector.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

I'm not sure if IR is supposed to be used over long distances.

For the detector, a photodiode is usually used and a couple of op-amps to amplify the signal because the signal from the photodiode will be very small. This is how modern smoke alarms work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭david powell

Hi,

As the last poster said, no way an IR Transmitter ( IR LED ) & Detector would work over that range. Also I presume this would be used outdoors, there is alot of IR content in normal sun light....

If i had to work over that range i would use some sort of laser ( a simple laser pointer might work well ) and a detector, some type of photo-diode should do. The detector should be shielded from the ambient light, possibly mounted in a tube. Alignment would be another issue with this system, ie the transmitter and reciever would have to be aligned properly...

Hope this helps....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Ok maybe I was wrong... Thesystem "consist of two units: an infrared light source (photo-transmitter) and an infrared light detector (photo-receiver)" that works out to 200 feet. http://farmtek-fti.com/wireless_eyes.htm. An dbasically I just want to have a dectector on the reciever eye so that a LED lights up when the two eyes are in line with each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Ok maybe I was wrong... Thesystem "consist of two units: an infrared light source (photo-transmitter) and an infrared light detector (photo-receiver)" that works out to 200 feet.Something like this http://farmtek-fti.com/wireless_eyes.htm. An dbasically I just want to have a dectector on the reciever eye so that a LED lights up when the two eyes are in line with each other.

Advertisement