Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the death of Mikado a good thing?

• 09-03-2006 12:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭

I think everyone agrees that mikado was an excellent student service, especially when it came to announcements from clubs and socs. And Boards.ie, sin.ie et al don't have the same community atmosphere that mikado had.

But I'm not so sure if that atmosphere was appropriate online. We are social creatures who communicate vast amounts of information through gestures and bodylanguage, so an online community is all well and good, but it may have 'manifested' a series of online identities which bore surprisingly little resemblance to the actual users due to the limits of communicating via text. And in many cases, the online identity became more important than the opinions and posts from the user. (Note:I'm not accusing anyone of being fake, but although an online forum is a medium perfectly suited to communicating opinions, it's not so appropriate when it comes to communicating entire personalities.)

I think that setup often lead to excess complaining and arguing, to the point where an entire forum was set up with the sole purpose of providing a place where people can insult one another. Which is testament to the fact that mikadoers were much more concerned with who they were and how they were perceived, as opposed to what they were saying.

Now that mikado is gone, I use online forums (fora?) to write polemics and little else. It's just... refreshing.

Note: I am aware of the fact that no one was forced to use mikado, and that all I had to do was not log on. But all a smoker has to do is stop buying cigarettes.

And I admit that mikado drinkies often went a long way towards developing a 'community' that was not exclusively online.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Just regarding
    "I think everyone agrees that mikado was an excellent student service, especially when it came to announcements from clubs and socs."

mikado was heavily used by around 25/35 odd users. Most of the college has never even heard of it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

It was a good thing for boards.ie anyway. I never used Mikado myself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Placebo wrote:
    Just regarding
    "I think everyone agrees that mikado was an excellent student service, especially when it came to announcements from clubs and socs."

mikado was heavily used by around 25/35 odd users. Most of the college has never even heard of it tbh.
    Ah, I think thats a bit low. Most of the college had heard of it too..

But on its usefulness and all that ****e - I usually used to i to discuss sport or take the piss.

One thing it would be useful for is getting or shifting a bar-ex ticket, for example. Or something like that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Mikado is not dead it is sleeping!!

And no, its not a good things that its gone....I want it back, NOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭shroomfox

Note: I am aware of the fact that no one was forced to use mikado, and that all I had to do was not log on. But all a smoker has to do is stop buying cigarettes.

Jaysus, what a comparison - you don't smoke, do you? It's a fair bit harder than quitting Mikado. Also even though Mikado can cause serious damage, cigarettes kill you. Dead.

I got to hate that place. Nerds saying sh*t online that they'd never dare to say to your face, either hiding behind anonymity or - nearly worse - behind their username as if it were some kind of shield. Is that a community spirit? F*cking pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Guys,
    why is Mikado broken anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

shroomfox wrote:
    Jaysus, what a comparison - you don't smoke, do you? It's a fair bit harder than quitting Mikado. Also even though Mikado can cause serious damage, cigarettes kill you. Dead.

I got to hate that place. Nerds saying sh*t online that they'd never dare to say to your face, either hiding behind anonymity or - nearly worse - behind their username as if it were some kind of shield. Is that a community spirit? F*cking pathetic.

You're the one who is F*cking pathetic!

*hides behind username* >_>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

shroomfox wrote:

Yep. I agree.

But my point was that Mikado can be addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Teller

Room 101 was fun! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Seanie M wrote:
    Guys,
    why is Mikado broken anyway?

if(not_in_clique)
    {
    report_to_headOFdepartment();
    }
    else
    {
    nothing();
    }

public report_to_headOFdepartment()
    {
    System.out.println("WE HAD ENOUGH, TOO MUCH TROUBLE");
    }

public nothing()
    {
    System.out.println("youre in the clique, well let u go, drinkies for all");
    }

icantrememberanyjavaatall,gay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭shroomfox

But my point was that Mikado can be addictive.

Granted. I say we follow the Mikado example with Cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭egon spengler

there was so much pettiness on mikado and it was very cliquey, the first I guess that was due to its anonymity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

there was so much pettiness on mikado and it was very cliquey, the first I guess that was due to its anonymity
    Mikado was not anonymous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Mr Rivers

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Mikado was not anonymous
    Shhh peter

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Mikado was not anonymous

Not fully anonymous but there was a certain degree of anonymity which enabled people to say or do things which they would dare say or do in person. It would explain the trolling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Not fully anonymous but there was a certain degree of anonymity which enabled people to say or do things which they would dare say or do in person. It would explain the trolling

How do you know that if you didn't know them in person?

speculation=/=fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Mikado was not anonymous

It was for me for a good while *points out helpfully*

DingChavez wrote:
    How do you know that if you didn't know them in person?

speculation=/=fact.

I knew some of them in person, also speaking for myself too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Mikado certainly had its' uses and could have been an excellent student resource but the fact that people were allowed to openly bully and harass was just wrong.

The University has a duty under law to pretect students from bullying and abuse (physical, sexual, psychological, emotional...you get the picture) so in the end if the students didn't regulate (moderate) the forums the University had to. I'm surprised they didn't act sooner!

A major problem was that some (not all!) of the heavy users seemed to think that just because they had been around a long time or posted regularly they somehow had a [insert deity name here]-given right to abuse others for any opinions that disagreed with their own. Also flaming in general, which is banned on a lot of forum boards seemed like a hobby to some Mikado posters.

Let Mikado sleep for now and when it comes back let the moderators have the b*lls to stand up and ban the twerps* who abuse others.

*ironic use of abusive term :):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 oldnamebanned

Morbert wrote:
    Was the death of Mikado a good thing?

One word answer? Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

Morbert wrote:
    That is an incredibly innapropriate analogy.How can you say that an online forum is exactly as addictive as cigarettes?I haven't gone through any kind of withdrawal since it shut down.I just have to find other ways of occupying my time between lectures.

As for whether it's a good thing that it's gone or not, well I wish it would come back because I'm at home right now and I'm bored as hell.And people wouldn't be insulting each other and hiding behind usernames if it was modded anyway decently like boards is,(I'm not saying boards is better, I liked knowing who people were on mikado, it was a great way of keeping in touch) but if the mods had the guts to enforce a much stricter regime then none of that **** would happen, the whole ten warnings thing is a load of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Demotruk

That is an incredibly innapropriate analogy.How can you say that an online forum is exactly as addictive as cigarettes?I haven't gone through any kind of withdrawal since it shut down.I just have to find other ways of occupying my time between lectures.
    I like the use of the word "exactly"...

Did I say it was exactly as addictive as cigarettes? I'm curious as to how you inferred as much from my post.

Reread my post again.

Morbert wrote:
    Did I say it was exactly as addictive as cigarettes? I'm curious as to how you inferred as much from my post.

Reread my post again.
    Fine, you didn't say it was exactly as addictive as cigarettes, but it's still stupid to compare something that causes an extremely strong chemical and physiological addiction to a bleeding internet message board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Placebo wrote:
    if(not_in_clique)
    {
    report_to_headOFdepartment();
    }
    else
    {
    nothing();
    }

public report_to_headOFdepartment()
    {
    System.out.println("WE HAD ENOUGH, TOO MUCH TROUBLE");
    }

public nothing()
    {
    System.out.println("youre in the clique, well let u go, drinkies for all");
    }

icantrememberanyjavaatall,gay

Oh you legend!

Fine, you didn't say it was exactly as addictive as cigarettes, but it's still stupid to compare something that causes an extremely strong chemical and physiological addiction to a bleeding internet message board.

Eh... It's not 'stupid'. And please stop trying to twist my message into a comparative study between cigarette addicition and Mikado usage. That's not what it was about and you know it.

Morbert wrote:
    Eh... It's not 'stupid'. And please stop trying to twist my message into a comparative study between cigarette addicition and Mikado usage. That's not what it was about and you know it.
    You're right, I do know that, and I'm not saying that that's what it was about, my point was that it's an inaccurate ill thought out comparison, and I stick by that.

You're right, I do know that, and I'm not saying that that's what it was about, my point was that it's an inaccurate ill thought out comparison, and I stick by that.

Kay... I'm going to ask you to carefully read the next sentence carefully...

My post was not a comparison between mikado and cigarettes.

If my post was about a comparison between mikado and cigarettes....

It would have had links to studies like these:

http://web.sfn.org/content/Publications/BrainBriefings/nicotine.html

http://www.computeraddiction.com/

http://www.stevepavlina.com/articles/effective-online-forum-usage.htm

It would have had highlighted similarieties and differences between the nature of nicotine addicition and internet forum addiction.

I would have posted pithy paragraphs like:
    The enterprises most people engage in while on the Internet deal with chat rooms, discussion forums, e-mailing, or on-line gambling. This action is therefore said to be nothing more than socialization (Dr. Grohol, 2003, par. 17). Even though this new kind of socialization is employed in a different kind of modality. David Greenfield, PhD, founder of the Center for Internet Studies disagreed by quoting that "It's (the Internet) a socially connecting device that's socially isolating at the same time (DeAngelis, 2000, par. 7)."

http://allpsych.com/journal/internetaddiction.html

I would have posted images like:

013.gif

But (now here's the important part) I didn't. Therefore I am not interested in your opinions on what is and isn't an accurate comparison.

The analogy was simply used to say that Mikado could be a temptation.

To be honest I think you're now just trying to turn my post into a comparison between the two in the hope of winning some fabricated argument that you think I'm a part of.

So stop wasting my time.

I KNOW it wasn't about mikado and cigarettes, I KNOW it was an attempt to put forward the notion that mikado wasn't so great after all, and I've already said that I know that in my last post.I'm just criticising your use of that analogy and now I'm extremely bored of writing about it.And I didn't force you to waste your time writing an extremely long tedious post just because I said something you didn't want to hear.If I am indeed wasting your time then just don't reply, I won't lose any sleep over it.

So, to summarise:

I think you're analogy was merely a badly used literary device.

I KNOW that's not what your post was about and I've said so already.

You're obviously a part of this argument if you KEEP REPLYING.

Can anyone see that I'm arguing for fun?If you can, have a banana.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭archdukefranz

r3nu4l wrote:
    Mikado certainly had its' uses and could have been an excellent student resource but the fact that people were allowed to openly bully and harass was just wrong.

The University has a duty under law to pretect students from bullying and abuse (physical, sexual, psychological, emotional...you get the picture) so in the end if the students didn't regulate (moderate) the forums the University had to. I'm surprised they didn't act sooner!

A major problem was that some (not all!) of the heavy users seemed to think that just because they had been around a long time or posted regularly they somehow had a [insert deity name here]-given right to abuse others for any opinions that disagreed with their own. Also flaming in general, which is banned on a lot of forum boards seemed like a hobby to some Mikado posters.

Let Mikado sleep for now and when it comes back let the moderators have the b*lls to stand up and ban the twerps* who abuse others.

*ironic use of abusive term :):D
    Explain to me how Students acting in a volunteer capacity could act quicker to deal with the abuser than to delete the post, ban him and report him to the college as soon as they saw it?
    I think if they had kept it in house they would have gotten away with it but it was the fact that they don't tollerate people abusing the system that lead to its "sleeping".

Advertisement