Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galactic Civilizations 2

Options
  • 09-03-2006 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

Seems to be getting good reviews, anybody got it yet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Yeah I bought it [online distribution version] though I really haven't had the time to play it properly as its the sort of game you can lose major hours to.

I haven't played one of these games in a long time the last was Master of Orion 2 but it bears a lot of similarities I think, the ship designer is cool but you could waste hours on that thing alone as well.

I've started off with the easy mode in the campaign for the AI just to get the feel of these games again and it is actually super easy so when I get the time I will increase the difficulty.

My only main criticism is their is so much in the game that it simply isnt covered by the tutorials which aren't interactive either but they have started doing a "did you know" tips thing on the main site which is good.
    http://www.galciv2.com/

If you really like "involved" strategy games then this might be your thing.

I'm actually looking forward to the modding potential in they have big plans for it so you could see some good mods based of other universes in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭BKtje

Got 3 weeks off uni starting next week so i may have top get this. That saod im told bfme2 is also very good. Choices choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Reviews are very interesting. Think I'll get me this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

i've lost I don't know how many hours to this game this week...

Really liking it, there's so much to take in though, I'm still playing on easy and getting the hang of things. Impressions are very, very good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Well the reviews are good because imho its the best strategy/empire game ever made just the ship designer alone could entertain you for days and the ai is very good which is all important i think its a masterpeice download it from www.galciv2.com and support stardock by god they deserve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Im going to get this, but Im having to be strong. If I buy this now, Ill never finish the BG saga. Speaking of which, full credit to Stardocks approach to irritating copy protection/cd checks - i.e. not bothering with something that only persecutes legitimate buyers. Hopefully some publishers might just follow suit - unlikely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Have to say this game is really excellent, not only is the game itself a really really good time burner (a small map, with only 3 players will last about 6-8 hours), but its also brilliantly good fun, with a very streamlined method for tax and where to allocate your spending, and to happyness (approval) is very well implimented too, if your citizen's are unhappy and someone invades one of your planets, they can use 'information warfare' to basically convert a significant portion of your citizens unless you look after them. The tech tree is also very well done, yet again very stream lined and user friendly.

But probably one of the best things about the game is the ship builder is absolutely brilliant, I have often spent upwards of 20minutes getting a ship to look right. Any fan of the civilisation games looking for something a bit diffrent should definately try this, their similar enough to appeal to Civ players, but diffrent enough to feel like a whole new game.

However theres a pretty big problems with it for people who dont have internet at home, which is the fact that the version you get out of the box is buggy as hell (CTD's everywhere), however since patching I havent seen a single massive bug (apart from the bug which can give captured planets a few trillion population, but thats just funny :)), until its patched the game really is nigh on unplayable.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

I'll be getting it soon.

Advertisement