Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry BroadBand

• 09-03-2006 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭

Hello

Has anyone heard of "Kerry Broadband"? I think the main company are called Kerry Computers. They're supposedly working out of the Spa area outside Tralee. They provide a wireless service for the Tralee and surrounding area.

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience of them. Given my Irish BroadBand Ripwave experiences in Galway, I am cautious, to say the least, of signing up for another wireless service. Admittedly, their product seems quite different to IBBs ripwave, but..... I just can't help thinking it's too good to be true. If they work, then great my problems are solved (steep installation and subscription fees aside).

Any reply would be apreciated.
    ta

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You may also investigate Permanet around parts of Tralee while you are at it .

Its specifically KerryComputer.com you require and not another Tralee company strangely called Kerrycomputers.com and IIRC they were caught pimping shamelessly in here last year and given the toe for it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

You mean there are more?! Where the hell are these ISPs coming from? I had resigned myself to waiting for eircom to get around to starting their "trials" in the Fenit area. 7 false starts on last count, as far as I can figure.
    I dunno man. The whole notion of a local ISP stinks of 2 college buddies trying to start a business using Daddy's money so they don't have to get real jobs. This Permanet crowd look alright though. Maybe I'll give them a call. Cheers for the info bob.

Dude, you west Kerry ingrates have a choice so imagine if you were based on the north face of a mountain 10 miles northeast of Kenmare ??????

</life>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

chamlis wrote:
    You mean there are more?! Where the hell are these ISPs coming from? I had resigned myself to waiting for eircom to get around to starting their "trials" in the Fenit area. 7 false starts on last count, as far as I can figure.
    I dunno man. The whole notion of a local ISP stinks of 2 college buddies trying to start a business using Daddy's money so they don't have to get real jobs. This Permanet crowd look alright though. Maybe I'll give them a call. Cheers for the info bob.
    If you can high speed internet outa them who cares what they are or what they do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Dude, you west Kerry ingrates have a choice so imagine if you were based on the north face of a mountain 10 miles northeast of Kenmare ??????

Did you track my IP Sponge? Because you have my location spot-on! In Kilgarvan, 7mls East of Kenmare and still broadbandless! Except for my Skydsl lifeline! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

I registered for the permanet service about four weeks ago, and i got a call back last week asking if i was still interested, then they would be able to install it in the next few days..
    so if they turn up i will let you know how i get on...

I signed up for permanet last friday. Got a call saturday asking if I was interested also. Interesting question though; he asked if I could get corus digital. I told we were getting the analogue package cos corus said the digital wouldnt be strong enough where i am. Something to do with the signal bouncing on the ocean waves. There is a dude coming on tuesday at 9 am to check it out and install if it works. Here's hoping......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

I got permanet installed about 3 weeks ago, although i was on the edge of reception..its been working well ...absolutely no complaints here ... far better than my 1 way satellite, and limited 25 hours per month dial-up package .... saving about 50 yoyo's a month

We've had some wet and wild weather recently and its still kept going ... and even better is that they gave it to me free of charge,as i was in the edge of reception, to see how i get on and make sure its all working ok.. :D

netwhizkid wrote:
    Did you track my IP Sponge? Because you have my location spot-on!

Look out overhead for my black helicopter :D during the week .

Could one of ye give a coverage extent report for your Kerry brethern, eg how accurate is this coverage map OR is the coverage in reality greater than the maps state but on a suck and see basis ????

• Advertisement

Wow that sounds pretty cool. They make some nice claims about being suitable for gaming etc. I'd just be happy if it worked.

well i'm situated about half-way between Killorglin and Glenbeigh, I mostly use my connection for VPN stuff .... more chance to work from home ... found downloads to be pretty steady and consistent...I do believe that for rural areas..wireless is the only way to go .... we are never going to get DSL from Eircon :rolleyes:

WOOHOO!!! Just got broadband from PermaNET. Goddamn, it's fast! 2Mb connection. Dude installed the equipment at 9 this morning in less than an hour. Got connected there around quarter to 3.

How does it compare with the Excellent national service provided by the highly regarded and utterly professional Irish Broadband, after all its a small operation in the country and there is a Kerryman in charge :p

Boards has never loaded faster. In work we have a T1 connection. I guess the contention ratio is pretty big, but even when there's no one else around when I use it, it's no where near as fast as this.... Boards icons are loaded instantaneously. I still can't get over it. I will though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

It's only 2meg isn't it?

chamlis wrote:
    WOOHOO!!! Just got broadband from PermaNET. Goddamn, it's fast! 2Mb connection. Dude installed the equipment at 9 this morning in less than an hour. Got connected there around quarter to 3.

Nice one.. The engineer is arriving to install it at my place tomorrow., Just a question, did they give you any direct debit forms or anything to fill out. I know there is the connection fee to be paid up front.
    Also what speed did you get?, and do you have to tell the engineer how fast you want it, or does the main office sort out he connection speed when you first crank her up?

Nice one.. The engineer is arriving to install it at my place tomorrow., Just a question, did they give you any direct debit forms or anything to fill out. I know there is the connection fee to be paid up front.
    Also what speed did you get?, and do you have to tell the engineer how fast you want it, or does the main office sort out he connection speed when you first crank her up?

Nothing has been paid yet. there was no talk of payment. When the guy rang me to say I was connected I actually asked him what the story was. Just download the form from the site and sort it out. I'm doing it today if I get time to go to my bank. You give the form to the bank then send a copy to the cork address (head office of PermaNET).

And yes, it is "only" 2Mb, but it's an almost REAL 2Mb, not just potential. There is little to no real contention on the exchange. That might change as they expand of course, but as I was talking to him about my Irish Broadband woes, he said that we know all about them; everyone does. Each customer's antena is interfereing with each other. These guy's product doesn't work that way. Learn from other's fcuk-ups, he said. Nice.

APPEND: Actually, you download the form, fill it out and then send it to PermaNET. They sort out the bank. Wasted lunch hour..... My own fault, really. It says it on the goddamn page!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Look out overhead for my black helicopter :D during the week .

Could one of ye give a coverage extent report for your Kerry brethern, eg how accurate is this coverage map OR is the coverage in reality greater than the maps state but on a suck and see basis ????

The Map looks pretty Accurate in the fact that there is Wireless BB in those places however, how far the coverage area is I cannot say!

My Map below is the broadband I Know of around my area!

i got the permanet broadband today. the mast is up and the modem is plugged in. All the little lights are green .. and i have no idea how to get the broadband going..
    Do i need my own username and password to connect with or something. All i have done so far is go in to internet options in control panel and make a new broadband connection, other than that i am clueless as to how to get it working. Maybe i need to get my account activated? Because when i try to connect it comes up with an error saying remote computer is not responding..

Any info would be great, as the permanet site itself is not very helpful at all..

• Advertisement

Did anyone ring you saying you were connected?

Um it should just work. I mean, if it's plugged in all you should have to do is open your browser. If you need to create a new connection just use the wizard. There is no installation involved. Unless your network card drivers aren't installed of course....

Well all i had to do was plug the ethernet connection into my PC, i had my internet options set up already (Lan settings)..no box's ticked... Open internet explorer and Voila! the Internet .... no need for password or anything .... just make sure that your ethernet/lan connection is ok

Yep shes working now.. I dunno what i did but it is working, and damn is it some improvement over eircom dial up, although i don't think i am getting the full 2 mb package at the moment... maybe i have to ring them up and confirm what speed i need...

Advertisement