Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Projector for dummies?

• 09-03-2006 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, Id like to get a projector but I dont know anything about them. All I want is a decent projector that will be good quality and not too noisy or anything. It has to be mountable aswell.

I'd spend around 500euro, maybe more and I'd be open to buying it second hand, on Ebay or whatever.

Any help much appreciated!!

Cheers
    Cian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

well benq do a good range of HC PJ's for about 600ish but are DLP, which i recon is best for Home cinema.

I have the benq 5120 model, now its not HD ready as i only wanted it for the odd footy or movie, but have an lcd tv for HD stuff.

My only tip is if you are venturing first into projectors, get a demo first in the likes of peats or so, just to see if DLP suits you or if you want to go the LCD route.

User PJ here has some good info, he sould give some helpfull tips aswell as he has a projector and knows his stuff. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

Hi Sparky,

how do you find DLP compared to LCD projectors? I'm thinking of getting a LCD projector, but I'm not sure if I should get a DLP instead.

Cheers
    Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Just some random comments

PJs have 2 main markets - Home cinema and board-room presentations - don't buy a cheap business one for home video - you'll be dissapointed with the results.

PJs need dark cinema style conditions. You won't be able to watch it on a summers day with the curtains open.

You'll need a separate sound system.

You need to re-organise your room, the PJ is now at the back, you'll need to send the sound to the front.

You'll need some form of screen.

Be careful with 2nd hand PJs, bulbs are expensive as are any forms of repair. 2nd hand models that might be in your price range are the Z3, AE500 or even a Hitachi TX100.

You're really looking at about 1,500 ish for a new 720 line LCD, probably double that for a 720 line DLP.

At the same price normally the DLP will be brighter and have better contrast, the LCD will be higher resolution.

Some DLPs (most notably at the cheap end of the market) suffer from the rainbow effect, which annoys some people a lot more than others. Don't buy DLP unless you've seen it running in a dark room with a bright fast moving scene. You can buy an LCD unseen if necessary (based on reviews or recomendations)

500 is going to be pushing it - even without sound and cabling budget 1,000 minimum for the PJ mount and screen.

Advertisement