Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Illegals

Options
  • 09-03-2006 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

From the Irish Times
    Capitol Hill became a sea of green and white yesterday as thousands of undocumented Irish immigrants came out of the shadows to petition Congress for immigration reform.

Wearing T-shirts emblazoned with the words "Legalize the Irish", they came from Boston, New York, Chicago, San Francisco and many places in between, rising before dawn to travel to Washington in specially chartered buses.

They were rewarded with appearances from some of the most influential figures in Congress, including the two front-runners to succeed President Bush - Senators John McCain and Hillary Clinton.

"It is so heartening to see you here. You are really here on behalf of what America means, America's values, America's hopes," Ms Clinton said.

The rally was organised by the Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform, a three-month-old grassroots group that has transformed the campaign on behalf of Irish immigrants.

It came as a Senate committee started discussing plans for immigration reform, including a bill sponsored by Mr McCain and Senator Edward Kennedy that would give America's estimated 11 million illegal immigrants the chance to embark on a path to US citizenship.

Ms Clinton said the Irish should join with other immigrant groups to keep pressure on Congress to pass a bill that would strengthen border security but allow the undocumented to work legally in the US.

Ok now if this was Ireland and a bunch of Illegal Immigrants protested outside Leinster House, Do you think Enda Kenny would be out in support or that The Minister For Justice wouldn't be on the phone to the Gaurds to deport them.

Prehaps those Irish should come back to the country they came from.

Or else get pregnant. :) Like Eamonn De Valera's Mother.

Double Standards. But I am sure someone will disagree with me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Elmo wrote:
    Double Standards.
    Yes but they aren't Muslims or blacks so its ok.

The Irish don't have a history of anti-social and violent behaviour ... oh wait :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Elmo wrote:

Sarcasm aside...if it is becoming impossible to live a decent life as an illegal immigrant in the US becuase of increased security checks etc perhaps they should leave or try to get their status sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 alan1978

I think we should not be helping our own illegals in America, they should be told to return back to Ireland. The Nigerian's will obvious case of double standards to try and get an amnesty for themselves in Ireland.

We should not be giving RAR and others any excuse to allow Kunle and others to stay in this state. Illegals, be the Irish or foreign should be treated the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

fly_agaric wrote:
    Sarcasm aside...if it is becoming impossible to live a decent life as an illegal immigrant in the US becuase of increased security checks etc perhaps they should leave or try to get their status sorted out.

some people have gone to the get registered and ended up being whisked off immediatly to a dentention for a year?

imagine that?

I happened across some site that type of which alan1978 might frequent and it was some anti-communist cuban guy who originally arrived illegally saying that illegal cubans should be rounded up and sent back? wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

We should not be giving RAR and others any excuse to allow Kunle and others to stay in this state. Illegals, be the Irish or foreign should be treated the same.

See there are probs with this whole situation.

Illegal aliens aren't about to pop around to their local Garda station, and we have allowed people to stay in the country for 3 or more years. IMO if you are in any country for 3 or more years and are working then you shouldn't be deported, especially when you have now go a live in your new country.

It is daft not to process these things quickly, that’s for the sake of illegals who are illegitimate in countries and illegals who are legitimate in countries.

All of the Irish Illegals in America have no legitimate reasons to be in the US.

However their are many Foreigners who are legitimately in Ireland and other countries, who are not being treated legitimately.

• Advertisement

Imo, those who are found to be bogus asylum seekers should be deported from Ireland. It shows how much this country has been abused when u think that the Irish illegals in America are less than a tenth of the Illegal Nigerians in Ireland. There should be no sad stories, those who are liers should be sent from our shores. Equally, Irish Aliens have no valid reason to be in America, they should be sent back to Ireland, we are dam rich over here!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You'd have to wonder at the intelligence of a bunch of illegals gathering like this. You can just see the INS marking them, one to one.

Reminds me of the old cable-stealers "prize" highlighted in the Simpsons.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

i think these irish illegals have a cheek.
    why arent they campaigning for all illegals to be given residency? are the mexicans etc not as worthy as the irish? you cant give an amnesty to one nationality/group,the only way they will get an amnesty for the irish is if theres one for every illegal in america and the republicans wont allow that once they control senate and congress.
    the economy in america uses these illegals to do jobs americans wont and pay them less,if they were legalised they would have to get better wages/conditions and could take legal peoples jobs. americans feel they cant be seen to reward illegal behaviour as if theres an amnesty now lots more will come illegally in the expectation of further amnesty.
    the irish illegals made their beds and now they should lie in them,they have established a life there but theres sufficent work etc in ireland if if they came home and saved some capital they could get american residency as a business investor if they buy a business for more than 250k(i think)

Irish illegals in America are less than a tenth of the Illegal Nigerians in Ireland.

I am sure you can prove that point with actual figures?
    America is a far bigger country you would have to compare america with the EU and not just suggest that asylum seekers or illegal aliens all come from Nigeria because they don't or that they just arrive in Ireland cause they don't. That is your own tunnel vision.

You seem to have an obsession with Nigerians, I am sure their are illegal immergants from the Americas (Canada, USA, Central and South), the Africas, New Zealand and Austrialia. And prehaps even illegal immergrants from Europe (Russia, Norway).
    those who are found to be bogus asylum seekers should be deported from Ireland.

Of course just like any illegals who are not Asylum Seekers, from any country not just Ireland.
    There should be no sad stories, those who are liers should be sent from our shores.

Non-bogus Asylum seekers stories will be sad and that is why they are seeking asylum. Liar != Sad.

some people have gone to the get registered and ended up being whisked off immediatly to a dentention for a year?

imagine that?

Unfortunately if you are residing in a country illegally that is the kind of risk you take.
    You are at the mercy of the authorities if they decide to stop turning a blind eye and crack down as the US has after Sept. 11th 2001.
    People going out there to work as illegals in the 80's knew the score very well AFAICR.

• Advertisement

People going out there to work as illegals in the 80's knew the score very well AFAICR.

But they had more reasons to be in the country then the current Irish Illegals. The risk is far greater now! it is such as waste. They cann't return home because it will be stamped on their passports that they over stayed their welcome. Stupid and Foolish. Nothing to do with the american dream.

I admit, I am obsessed with the problem of bogus Nigerian asylum claims in Ireland, and with dam good reason. Ireland received the second highest number of asylum applications in main industrialised countries from nationals of Nigeria in 2004. Just how many turned out to be genuine - 0.6%. These are government figures - check them out youreself. Thousands of liers, con artists and basically scumbags have turned up on our shores over the last number of years. They should not be welcomed!

People like Kunle, the innocent student (he's probably 24 or more) turned out to be a criminal, he thankfully is going to be deported on the next flight. But these rules must work both ways, the Irish illegals must be sent back here.

As a nationalist, I am ashamed of republicans such as Sinn Fein who called for a no vote in the citizenship referendum, and who call for an amnesty. People showed how out of touch they were by the massive yes victory.

As a nationalist, I am ashamed of republicans such as Sinn Fein who called for a no vote in the citizenship referendum, and who call for an amnesty. People showed how out of touch they were by the massive yes victory.

It nice to see that propaganda works.

How did the citezenship referendum actually help. Have non-national women stopped having children in Ireland. Has it effected you as an indivdual. Minister McDowell suggests to the Irish people that he is a man who does things, he is not. He has yet to implement proper immigration law in this country. The citizenship referundum was a waste of money and time. It was a disgrase to the Irish public who voted in an unnessary law.

By the way the minister told me that it was Russian who where coming into Ireland having baby and selling their birth certs. ?????????? I never heard so much cock and bull from this minister.
    As a nationalist, I am ashamed of republicans such as Sinn Fein who called for a no vote in the citizenship referendum, and who call for an amnesty.

I am ashamed of the Irish Public who voted in something that could be control at the ports of our country and took away childrens rights not adults rights but childrens rigth. Now we have as situation where we divide children into groups where we continue to divide and ghetoise people.
    Thousands of liers, con artists and basically scumbags have turned up on our shores over the last number of years. They should not be welcomed!

Not all nigerians are like that. Just in the same way not all Irish people are wife bashers, drinkers, rapist, child abusers etc etc.

What about the russian the minister talk about. What about all his wishy washy talk. He has done nothing in this country.

Eamonn De Valera was an american through birth right its the bases for Irish Republicanism.

I am ashamed of the Irish who continual deny the basic rights of Children. From our horrible history of child abuse

Elmo wrote:
    But they had more reasons to be in the country then the current Irish Illegals. The risk is far greater now! it is such as waste. They cann't return home because it will be stamped on their passports that they over stayed their welcome. Stupid and Foolish. Nothing to do with the american dream.

By "knew the score" I mean they knew that if the Govt. cracked down or they drew attention to themselves in some way they would be booted home - via some time in jail if very unlucky - and certainly would not be allowed into the US again.
    Also - I'd bet most of the "current Irish illegals" are people who originally went there in the 80's to work and have been living there on borrowed time ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

alan1978 wrote:
    I admit, I am obsessed with the problem of bogus Nigerian asylum claims in Ireland, and with dam good reason. Ireland received the second highest number of asylum applications in main industrialised countries from nationals of Nigeria in 2004. Just how many turned out to be genuine - 0.6%. These are government figures - check them out youreself.

Actually the rule on this forum is that if you state something as fact, you must support it.

So be a dear and find us the numbers for illegal Nigerians in Ireland and the figures for rejected applications.

On and the league table for asylum applications in main industrialised countries.

Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Elmo wrote:
    Eamonn De Valera was an american through birth right its the bases for Irish Republicanism.

I am ashamed of the Irish who continual deny the basic rights of Children. From our horrible history of child abuse

I'm ashamed to be Irish because of De Valera's refusal to allow Jewish refugees into Ireland during WWII.

Sometimes I think that somewhere in one of the lower rings of hell, himself and McQuaid rotate slowly on a spit.

People like Kunle, the innocent student (he's probably 24 or more) turned out to be a criminal, he thankfully is going to be deported on the next flight. But these rules must work both ways, the Irish illegals must be sent back here.

He is 20. It was one innocident do to with his ID, which his teacher gave out to him about.

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2005/04/06/story379379737.asp

I wouldn't call him a criminal. I am sure many Irish student have used their older brother and sisters passports to gain access to nightclubs and pubs duting the J1 visits to america.

The Citizenship referendum was the BEST thing to happen to this country in years. Nigerians (and other nationals) were abusing this loophole in order to obtain residency and social welfare benefits here. If anything, they were abusing their children by using them in such a way. Mc Dowell unlike that fool O'Donoghue, did his job to protect Ireland's borders.

Ultra liberals like you cannot force this kind of abuse down the throath's of the majority, that is why we voted yes in such large numbers.

Back to the discussion at hand, the Illegal Irish in the States should have the sense and common decency to return home.

I'm ashamed to be Irish because of De Valera's refusal to allow Jewish refugees into Ireland during WWII.

Indeed as i said we regressed even futher into are inward looking selfs. I bring up the point about Eamonn De Valera as he was Born in america had american citizenship because of this and he was not excuted by the british because of this "loop hole".

This loop hole saved a very young child from being sent back to his abusive perants but because of his Irish citizenship the welfare authorities where able to keep that child in Ireland.

K Alan.

mmm let me think about Irish Boards and that one up north, does McDowell the unionist care?

Since the introduction of said law there are more immergrants coming into Ireland. He has done nothing, but you keep think that way. K.

Elmo wrote:
    He is 20. It was one innocident do to with his ID, which his teacher gave out to him about.

Not to mention driving around in his car without any tax or insurance...

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/71213

• Advertisement

alan1978 wrote:
    The Citizenship referendum was the BEST thing to happen to this country in years. Nigerians (and other nationals) were abusing this loophole in order to obtain residency and social welfare benefits here. If anything, they were abusing their children by using them in such a way. Mc Dowell unlike that fool O'Donoghue, did his job to protect Ireland's borders.

Ultra liberals like you cannot force this kind of abuse down the throath's of the majority, that is why we voted yes in such large numbers.

Back to the discussion at hand, the Illegal Irish in the States should have the sense and common decency to return home.

I'll summarise your posting thusly - "Know your place".

I he is just one case and doesn't really prove very much. He is a young stupid kid just like all of the other boy racers out there.

Also lots of people do that.
    I'll summarise your posting thusly - "Know your place".

Didn't realise the thought police were members of Boards. You know people are going to have different oppinions. Its call freedom of speech.

He was found guilty of driving without tax or insurance on 2 seperate occassions, he's also a bogus asylum seeker - therefore he gets deported. Interestingly enough, the supreme court ruled last week that someone could be deported during an application period for a judicial review, this should stop their delaying tactics. RAR and the other lefty organisations will have found that ruling a huge blow their anarchist campaign to stop deportations.

RAR and the other lefty organisations will have found that ruling a huge blow their anarchist campaign to stop deportations.

Ultra right wing and ultra left wing what ever.

I would never suggest that deportations should not happen. I he has committed a crime yes he should be deported. He as I said he is stupid to think that he should remain in a country if he has committed a crime.

I am not a liberal, I am not a communist, I am not a capitalist and I am not a conservative. I am a person who stand firmly in the centre. If i need something from the left I will go there and If I need something from the right I will go there.

You need both for things to work to be totally right or left wing doesn't work. E.G. America and Russia.

As I siad before these review need to be done quickly not after 3 or 4 years of arrival and/or notification to authorities that you are in a country. Espically when children are envolved. Deporting children from any country who grew up in that country is wrong. It was wrong to let people stay in any country if after 3 years you where going to deport them. Thats the problem not that they are illegal but that we aren't dealing with the in an appropiate manner when the arrive in the country.

3 years is way to late and the referendum didn't do anything to improve that.

The referendum had exactly the desired effect, we were no longer the only EU state which offered unconditional citizenship based on the birth of a child. It also had the effect of reducing the plague of bogus Nigerian asylum claims substantially. Asylum applications can now be dealth with within 6 weeks of arrival, before the citizenship referendum it was more like 2 - 3 years. Also, the Supreme Court ruling last week will help scotch further delaying tactics. It ruled that someone could be deported during an application period for a judicial review, this was a major bonus for Mc Dowell.

We are lucky to have a Minister like him, he's no unionist either.

We are lucky to have a Minister like him, he's no unionist either.

He is the biggest unionist of them all.

You mention Nigerians yet he mentioned Russian, so what is it Russian or Nigerians?

Do you hate nigerians that much?

No I don't! I only hate the massive amount of scumbags who have abused this country and drained it's resources. The mechanic who works on my car is a Nigerian, I have great respect for him. He himself is ashamed of his countrymen who have given Nigerians a terrible name around the world. He came here via the proper channels, not via a false asylum claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Elmo wrote:
    From the Irish Times

Ok now if this was Ireland and a bunch of Illegal Immigrants protested outside Leinster House, Do you think Enda Kenny would be out in support or that The Minister For Justice wouldn't be on the phone to the Gaurds to deport them.

Or else get pregnant. :) Like Eamonn De Valera's Mother.

Double Standards. But I am sure someone will disagree with me.

American relies hugely upon undocumented workers, any bill to legalise them is purely an excercise in self interest, not humaniterian. I'm tired of people holdign up these very transparent examples of why ireland is crap, hey, why don't you go to states if their so easy going on the auld immigrants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

Oh Alan, just to ask you again, you've gone a page now, I was wondering if you had a chance to back up three very specific "facts"

Please check the forum rules, about stating something as a fact.
    Freelancer wrote:
    alan1978 wrote:
    I admit, I am obsessed with the problem of bogus Nigerian asylum claims in Ireland, and with dam good reason. Ireland received the second highest number of asylum applications in main industrialised countries from nationals of Nigeria in 2004. Just how many turned out to be genuine - 0.6%. These are government figures - check them out youreself.

Actually the rule on this forum is that if you state something as fact, you must support it.

So be a dear and find us the numbers for illegal Nigerians in Ireland and the figures for rejected applications.

On and the league table for asylum applications in main industrialised countries.

Ta.

• Advertisement

He came here via the proper channels, not via a false asylum claim

You sure did you check him out? You should report him to McDowell just in case.

Your better off being more general so rather then saying Nigerians you should go with Foreigner (but then we would have some one giving out about the word foreigner so you would have to go with Non Nationals and then you have EU non nationals and eastern eu non nationals OH OK just call them nigerians).

JOKE by the way. ^^^^ all of it.

So his children should be allowed be Irish Citizens, all is fair after all. You see what we did was to not give ligitement people that right.

There are a massive amount of Irish scumbag that should be deport to the baskets IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement