Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Vodafone RIP OFF??

• 09-03-2006 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a Nokia 6170 on ebay.
    I called Vodafone to let them know that I was changing my phone. I was informed that Vodafone insurance wouldn't cover my phone because Vodafone don't sell this model?
    I think this is a crazy way to run an insurance policy..
    Needless to say I simply canceled the insurance policy. Their loss!!!

The reason I called in the first place was that I go stung before..

I had a phone which they say got water damaged(which they don't cover) they wouldn't fix the phone for me. So I started using an unused phone belonging to a friend. it was the same model as what I had.
    That phone got broken(unrepairable, in bits) Vodafone refused to replace it because it wasn't the phone I bought from them

The second problem I had was that in January I changed my tarriff from Perfect Fit 200 to Perfect fit 100 on their website.
    My Febuary bill arrived and I was charged for perfect Fit 200, I called Customer care, and got appologies for the cock up, I was told I would be credited on my next bill. I thought Ok mistakes happen..
    But I just got my march bill and the problem hasn't been fixed.
    I called again, and was told that I will be refunded in my next bill
    Should I belive them???

Has anybody had similar issues???

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mayotom wrote:
    I recently bought a Nokia 6170 on ebay.
    I called Vodafone to let them know that I was changing my phone. I was informed that Vodafone insurance wouldn't cover my phone because Vodafone don't sell this model?
    I think this is a crazy way to run an insurance policy..
    Needless to say I simply canceled the insurance policy. Their loss!!!

The reason I called in the first place was that I go stung before..

I had a phone which they say got water damaged(which they don't cover) they wouldn't fix the phone for me. So I started using an unused phone belonging to a friend. it was the same model as what I had.
    That phone got broken(unrepairable, in bits) Vodafone refused to replace it because it wasn't the phone I bought from them

So let me get this straight?
    You want them to replace and/or fix a phone they do not even sell if it breaks?

I think their perfectly justified in not covering it and their right not to cover a phone that the insurance was not intended for (your friends phone), could you imagine the amount of people taking the piss by buying Nokia N90's off ebay and then looking for a replacement under their insurance!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

mayotom,
    I had this problem before, my phone got water damaged and they would not replace it. What's the point in insurance ???

With Vodafone they will give you the credit. If you give out alot they should give the two months line rent free, because it's there mess-up.

They charged me for sending out a reprint of a bill, i complained and they gave me the line rental free for the month. And recently i questioned my bill for WAP use they could not answer me so they refunded me for all WAP usage.

Express your unhappiness, and they should sort you out.

If you are not getting you way tell then you want to close your account, they cant unless you give it in writing anyway and you should soon get sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I changed my Perfect Fit tariff online earlier this year and didn't get switched over on the next billing period. I called customer care, got an apology and was refunded on my next bill. No further problems.

As regards the insurance, why on earth would you expect Vodafone to insure a phone that they didn't sell you?

Cabaal wrote:
    So let me get this straight?
    You want them to replace and/or fix a phone they do not even sell if it breaks?

I think their perfectly justified in not covering it and their right not to cover a phone that the insurance was not intended for (your friends phone), could you imagine the amount of people taking the piss by buying Nokia N90's off ebay and then looking for a replacement under their insurance!

Cabaal
    He only wants that phone (bought on Ebay) covered on insurance policy, there is nothing wrong the phone.

I agree with you on the friends phone issue. He could have changed his insurance to his friends phone before it happoned. Vodfone wouldhave not had a problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Cabaal wrote:

The phone I was claiming for was the exact same model( Motorola V525) as the phone I got from my friend. So I do think it should be covered. but I do see their point of view.
    They could tell what type of phone I was using from the IMIE number, which is registered every time I make a call. So they knew I was using a different phone for months, but still kept charging me the insurance premium.

As for the other phone(6170), the reason I was calling them was to let them know what phone I was using. I pay an insurance premium every month so I don't think it should matter if I bought it from Vodafone or not.

If you have a car insurance policy you can move it from one car to another with a simple phone call. so why not do the same with a phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

mayotom wrote:
    They could tell what type of phone I was using from the IMIE number, which is registered every time I make a call. So they knew I was using a different phone for months, but still kept charging me the insurance premium.

Sure, they dont care if they're getting the money from you.
    mayotom wrote:
    If you have a car insurance policy you can move it from one car to another with a simple phone call. so why not do the same with a phone.

Yeah, but in this case you're talking about getting insurance through a mobile network providing for their own customers (you don't insure your car with the car manufacturers). Surely that limits insurance availability to their own products? Otherwise you could insure and possibly make a claim for any make or model of phone that ever existed. I could be totally wrong of course...

Kolodny wrote:
    Sure, they dont care if they're getting the money from you.

Yeah, but in this case you're talking about getting insurance through a mobile network providing for their own customers (you don't insure your car with the car manufacturers). Surely that limits insurance availability to their own products? Otherwise you could insure and possibly make a claim for any make or model of phone that ever existed. I could be totally wrong of course...

Fair point, would be good business, but Vodafone Insurance is regulated by the insurance reuglator and should be the same as any other insurance policy.

They have a clause which says that if a phone needs replacing, they will provide the same of similar model as what is insured.

the purpose of my call to them was to let them know what phone I was using. so if I did need to make a claim there wouldn't be any questions about what type of phone I was using. they could tell this from the IMIE number anyway. so therefore I wouldn't be able to claim for any make or model of phone that ever existed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

TommyGun wrote:
    mayotom,
    I had this problem before, my phone got water damaged and they would not replace it. What's the point in insurance ???

Well Vodafone's insurance covers many other things. It's up to you to check what the policy covers. If you want water damage cover, you generally have to spend more on the monthly premium.

Pythia wrote:
    Well Vodafone's insurance covers many other things. It's up to you to check what the policy covers. If you want water damage cover, you generally have to spend more on the monthly premium.

Pythia,
    Untrue
    No insurance policy from Vodafone will cover you on water damage. I spend 150 a month on my bill and paid insurance with no joy.

Anyway Vodafone does not actually give the insurance, a general insurance company provides the insurance cover and Vodafone provides/sells the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Sorry, what I mean is, if you want water damage cover, you have to go somewhere else and pay more.

• Advertisement

Ok cool:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

Why does anyone insure their phone anyway.
    Add up what you have paid for ins between upgrades and you'll see what i mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

mayotom wrote:
    The phone I was claiming for was the exact same model( Motorola V525) as the phone I got from my friend. So I do think it should be covered. but I do see their point of view.

As for the other phone(6170), the reason I was calling them was to let them know what phone I was using. I pay an insurance premium every month so I don't think it should matter if I bought it from Vodafone or not.

it is the same with the phone : if at the time you changed your phone you had of called vodafone and changed your IMEI for the insurance policy then it would have been covered. Your Insurance policy was taken out YOUR phone not on your mates phone. To use your own example yout cant insure your car then lose it and get the same make and model from a mate and then expect your own insurance policy to automatically change over or remain valid on a different car???

neacy69 wrote:
    it is the same with the phone : if at the time you changed your phone you had of called vodafone and changed your IMEI for the insurance policy then it would have been covered. Your Insurance policy was taken out YOUR phone not on your mates phone. To use your own example yout cant insure your car then lose it and get the same make and model from a mate and then expect your own insurance policy to automatically change over or remain valid on a different car???

Ok Ok

the first incident, I know I could have done things better, all I was saying was that I learned from my mistakes.

The issue in this Thread is the Second phone which they wouldn't insure and the fact that they charged me twice for a higher package than was agreed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

well you definetely have a case for the incorrect charging for two months if you ring and complain enough they will throw you a month or twos rental for the inconvenience as it is their fault it wasnt done.

for the other phone issue you can really expect them to cover you for insurance for a phone they do not stock (and therefore cannot replace...) to use your example if an insurance company cant offer your cover on a Bugatti Veyron cos they dont have it on their systems then you would understand???

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

TommyGun wrote:
    Pythia,
    Untrue
    No insurance policy from Vodafone will cover you on water damage. I spend 150 a month on my bill and paid insurance with no joy.

Anyway Vodafone does not actually give the insurance, a general insurance company provides the insurance cover and Vodafone provides/sells the service.

Tommy,

I'm not too sure about this - I got a phone replaced that was water damaged no probs.
    And I don't ever remember being informed that the insurance will not cover this anymore
    `
    I will check this out however:cool:

Mik

Tommy,

I just rang Vodafone and the insurance crowd and water damage IS covered

Looks like you were done!!

Mik

mik_da_man wrote:
    Tommy,

I'm not too sure about this - I got a phone replaced that was water damaged no probs.
    And I don't ever remember being informed that the insurance will not cover this anymore
    `
    I will check this out however:cool:

Mik

this was in November, so don't know if things changed before or since.

They wouldn't cover mine anyway

mayotom wrote:
    Ok Ok

the first incident, I know I could have done things better, all I was saying was that I learned from my mistakes.

The issue in this Thread is the Second phone which they wouldn't insure and the fact that they charged me twice for a higher package than was agreed

Tom,

i had the same problem before, just ring up and complain again - Be Firm

And if they don't offer you at least 1 if not 2 months line rental ask to speak to their team leader as you are not happy with the level of service.
    They will have to pass you to a TL if one around
    The TL will more than likley give ya the 2 Mth line rental

mik

mik_da_man wrote:
    Tom,

And if they don't offer you at least 1 if not 2 months line rental ask to speak to their team leader as you are not happy with the level of service.

mik

Thanks Mik

• Advertisement

mik_da_man wrote:
    Tom,

mik

Thanks Mik
    Do ya think would they just give me a refund. I'll be canceling the account before the end of the month.
    I'm moving to spain

T

I doubt if ya will get a refund to be honest,
    and if ya cancel your contract chances are that they will sting ya for the remaining months line rental due in the contract.

Do ya have many months left?
    If so change to the cheapest tarrif before cancelling;)

Mik

mik_da_man wrote:
    I doubt if ya will get a refund to be honest,
    and if ya cancel your contract chances are that they will sting ya for the remaining months line rental due in the contract.

Do ya have many months left?
    If so change to the cheapest tarrif before cancelling;)

Mik

Oh have that sorted haven't upgraded for 2 years

Advertisement