Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

vw golf v-service

Options
  • 09-03-2006 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

guys need to get my car serviced next week.does anyone know any cheap and realible vw garage around south dublin.how much should it cost for a 1st service on the car.i donot even mind going to an authorised vw garage.

what will be included in the service.i think i need brake pads changed as they are kind of sqeeky when i brake.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

drdre wrote:
    think i need brake pads changed as they are kind of sqeeky when i brake.

Must be from all them donuts you were pulling in that industrial estate???

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

drdre wrote:
    guys need to get my car serviced next week.does anyone know any cheap and realible vw garage around south dublin.how much should it cost for a 1st service on the car.i donot even mind going to an authorised vw garage.

what will be included in the service.i think i need brake pads changed as they are kind of sqeeky when i brake.

thanks in advance

Such a place does not exist. Consider remortgaging ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Such a place does not exist. Consider remortgaging ;)

A Skoda garage then...

A first service wont break you either way. For your warranty you are best avoiding a fred-in-the-shed outfit.

Buy a Haynes manual and learn how to change break pads.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Using a Skoda garage will invalidate the warranty presumably?

Brake pads really shouldn't need replacing at the 1st service;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Brake pads really shouldn't need replacing at the 1st service;)

I'm not too sure about that. I think as long as genuine parts are used whether they be VW or Skoda (both made by Bosch) then the warranty shouldn't be effected. I think the warranty is only void is substandard parts are used. I think there was some sort of EU directive on this.

Of course the other difference will be labour. VW dealers probably charge more for labour by the hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

as far as I know, the manufacturer is obliged to honour the warranty as long as you can show that the car was serviced appropriately.

A skoda garage would therefore be able to service a VW, but in my experience, these are no cheaper than VW in Dublin. Travel a wee bit and you should be able to get labour at about 60% of dublin rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

thanks guys for your comments

l5 please take your comments"Must be from all them donuts you were pulling in that industrial estate???"

whats donuts got to do with brake pads you idiot?
    donot come back and spoil the thread or i will report you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

you can get it serviced in any main dealer or simi garage afaik. i work in an opel main dealer and we service many other brands which are still under warranty and are covered. we just dont do the warranty work ourselves, that is sent out to the appropriate dealer.

guys would you have any prices of what i should be paying for a 1st service,it done 19000 kilometers in the last 8 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

You will probably find that a service @ 19,000 km is a minor one i.e. an oil and filter change and a general check and very little else. Maybe an air filter. They probably won't do the spark plugs till the next service.

Dublin main dealer labour charges are generally eye watering. I'd say 70 euros per hour minimum and maybe closer to 100 euros per hour in some places. So for a minor service I'd say pay around 150-220 euros total.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

id say u should end up paying close to 130 euros . why not just ring a garage ( offical ones ) and ask them . sure it dosnt take long to do . just drop it off go shopping for a hour and come back to a nice serviced / clean car. i dont see how your break pads could be worn that much . to need replacing

no, im just saying brake pad might need changing,i really donot think they do but there abit squeeky but i think thats normal.

anyway regarding price i got quoted around 400-450 from grange motors,belgard,msl,foster
    thats way too much.im thinking of giving to a vw approved garage in deansgrange where my friend works he said 200 but im sure should i or not, will it affect warranty and will it affect resale value.but he is a vw/merc approved mechanic.

what do you guys think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

jesus thats a lot . what do they do for that kind of money

drdre wrote:
    whats donuts got to do with brake pads you idiot?
    donot come back and spoil the thread or i will report you.

Bit of a attitude there? I think it is reasonable to assume a person who does donuts in their car doesnt go lightly on the brakes either....

Normally you will find if you build up a relationship with a garage they will treat you a lot better than if you just to the cheapest place all the time and will be more receptive if you come back with a shot gearbox 6 mths out of warranty.

drdre wrote:
    anyway regarding price i got quoted around 400-450
    That quote might include new front and rear brake pads if you have asked for them to be changed. Main dealers can charge 200+ quid for new pads all round. So that would be on top of the normal service.

Find out exactly what this 400-450 quote includes.

Anyway you can be 99% sure that your brake pads are fine. The noise you are hearing means very little.

yeah i didnot even ask them about pads, they just said the full service costs 400-450.i thought that was alot thats why i put up the thread to see if any other member has got there vw golf (ned edition) serviced in dublin so i can get estimated price.as i cannot even afford 400, so the cheaper the better:D

400 for a 19k km standard service on a 1.4 Golf is outrageous. Get a quote from VW dealers down the country eg Michael Moores in Portarlington or Brady's in Cavan. However don't expect a bargain in those places either. The problem is that there are a lot of silly people out there who regard VW as a premium brand. Big posh showrooms re-enforce this idea. The result is that people are willing to pay more for servicing. Dealers are laughing all the way to the bank at this.

brian i wonot be laughing to the dealers:D , its a lovely car but i have to admit it is overpriced.anyway thats not the point.i will call them in the morning and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I paid 400 quid for a 1st service on a 2.0 TDI including pollen filter and new wipers, seems a bit high for a 1.4.

If your pads need to be replaced during the first service there's something seriously wrong with the people driving the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

pollen filter on first service? Is that normal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Big Balls wrote:

If your pads need to be replaced during the first service there's something seriously wrong with the people driving the car.

see his thread about being stopped by cops for doing donuts in an industrial estate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭useless

260 euro for a 10,000 mile service on a 1.4 Golf at Bradys on the Navan Rd. :eek:

Oil change, oil filter change, air filter change, "fluids" topped up, pollen filter change, new wiper blades, replaced a faulty brake light switch under warranty.

At those prices, Im never going back- I only brought it to a VW dealer because the car was under warranty at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

pollen filter on first service? Is that normal?

Probably not but they said they'd do it anyway.. and I know they did because MSL didn't fit the thing back in properly!! :rolleyes:

Useless - that price wasn't too bad TBH. It depends if your car is set to longlife servicing too.

useless wrote:
    260 euro for a 10,000 mile service on a 1.4 Golf at Bradys on the Navan Rd. :eek:

Oil change, oil filter change, air filter change, "fluids" topped up, pollen filter change, new wiper blades, replaced a faulty brake light switch under warranty.

At those prices, Im never going back- I only brought it to a VW dealer because the car was under warranty at the time.
    That's not a bad price for the work that was done. Pollen filters can be 50-60+ quid, one wiper is around 20 quid. So it can quickly add up

However I would question the need for a pollen filter and wipers if this was the car's first service. Wipers are a nice handy source of income for garages and I am suspicious that they are often changed when there is no need.

BrianD3 wrote:
    However I would question the need for a pollen filter and wipers if this was the car's first service. Wipers are a nice handy source of income for garages and I am suspicious that they are often changed when there is no need.

I would think you are right. I left the pollen filer in my mondeo to see how it would last until I stopped getting air. It did 60k before it needed to be thrown out.

Likewise with wipers.. you replace them when you can SEE the need.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bloody hell, Dublin prices are in a world of their own.

I pay €140 from my main Toyota dealer for a service every 10k miles. That is a full regular service. Haven't had the need to replace anything major yet thank God, though I reckon the brake pads will probably need to be looked at the next service interval.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

I got my VW golf 1.4 MK 5 serviced about a month ago in Belgard Motors.

It was a first service and I had 22000 km on the clock.

They charged me 330 euros, as far as I remember about 180 euros of the charge was for labour. Talk about a rip off.

I always get my first service done in a main dealers just to make sure all is ok. I think I will be getting subsequent services done elsewhere.

yeah i got my car in belgard, he said 450 to me on the phone. what a rip off i will call them again.i think 330 is kind of ok for 1st service. also what did they replace in the money.my display started flashing"service required"at only 15000km but its nearly 19500 so i should book one soon.

also do you hear windy noises coming from top of your driver door,when on motorway.i think my door has a problem since i got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

First service in a main dealer should be between 150-200, unless you drive something like a merc or bmw etc where parts are expensive. some main dealers are way over priced and dont provide half as good a service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Fosters change nearly everything according to what Volkswagen tell them they should. I did a service on a garage Polo that was worth €763.73 at one point so they are quite expensive

Advertisement