Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

vw golf v-service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

Here is the breakdown of my 330 euro service in Belgard motors.

190.00 Labour
    15.00 Environmental Disposal
    5.02 Oil Filter
    9.01 FilterElem (god knows what this is)
    0.61 Sump bung washer
    25.91 Air Filter
    45.76 Oil
    39.33 Vat
    =====
    330.64 Total

As you can see labour is the major part.
    How long does it take to service a car. For 190 euros you would think it takes the whole day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

leahcim wrote:
    How long does it take to service a car. For 190 euros you would think it takes the whole day.
    190 is probably 2.5 hours labour @ 75 euros per hour. Then there's VAT on top of that.

Also 45 euros (+ VAT) for oil must mean they are using fully synthetic oil as it is a lot for oil. If that's the oil that VW recommends for a 1.4 Golf then fair enough but I'd have my doubts if this is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

guys i was talkiing to a good mate and he has a o4 golf he said his 1st service cost him 180 from msl in pottery rd. i think thats going to be my 1st call on monday morning.hopefull fingers crossed he says 180 then i will give it in there and then.as that should cheap as its from a proper company.:D

i just rang msl and they said that the golf doesnot need service till 30000km. i donot believe that.should it not be serviced sooner. ive done 19000km so far.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ring VW and ask, or look at the service book.

If it's 12 months old it needs a service now, regardless of mileage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

drdre wrote:
    i just rang msl and they said that the golf doesnot need service till 30000km. i donot believe that.should it not be serviced sooner. ive done 19000km so far.

This variable service thing is becoming a bit of a joke. No one seems to know when the cars are supposed to be serviced.

TBH dre im not sure if a prospective buyer of your car will be thrilled to see its first service wasn't until 30k kms.

i rang up msl and the guy said i wouldnot need a service till 30,000 km so i still have 10,000km to go.
    im not sure if thats true as i was talking to a guy in foster motor and he said i need one at 20,000.
    does anyone work for msl or vw, asi would need exact info as i donot want to wreck the car.would it not need a oil change yet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

When did you get it new?

henry i got it brand new in june 05, its only 9-10 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Your warranty will not be affected by going to a non franchised VW garage. However, you will need to prove that you serviced the car at the correct intervals and replaced the recommended parts. If you do go for the non-VW option insist that genuine VW parts are used and make sure the invoice you get has the correct date and mileage. I talk to a lot of service depts all over the country and in my experience VW garages are quite unhelpful.
    Also be aware of the correct service interval for your Golf. VW engines now determine for themselves when a service is required. This can be anywhere from 15k miles to 30k miles depending on your driving. Ignore the 10,000 mile sticker the dealer may have put there from new - he's only greasing his own palms!! A display on the dash will tell you when you need a service. Check your hand book under 'Service Interval Display'. If you are sticking to the long-life service intervals then be sure that you use long life oil when topping up and if getting the car serviced outside of the VW network.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

As another (company)owner of a 05 1.4 Golf i can assure you that the service is not needed until 30,000km. The service indicator will come on as you head towards that total as well.

btw, i also get the wind noise when on the motorway, as does the other guys who have the car where i work.

thanks delly, the service indicator came on from 15000-19000 km, it was so annoying.and as for the wind noise it is so bloody annoying.
    what would you think could be done if i bring it back to the garage.i think they will just tell me to go away:D , as it will cost them money to fix it.

drdre wrote:
    thanks delly, the service indicator came on from 15000-19000 km, it was so annoying.and as for the wind noise it is so bloody annoying.
    what would you think could be done if i bring it back to the garage.i think they will just tell me to go away:D , as it will cost them money to fix it.
    Mention the wind noise to them. Get the technician to sit in the car with you while you point out the noise to him. It won't cost the garage a penny as they claim it back through the VW warranty system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

drdre wrote:
    as for the wind noise it is so bloody annoying

I too have that noise on mine! It's bloody annoying alright. I keep on thinking that one of the windows is slightly open. Has anyone got a response from VW on that issue?

flanzer wrote:
    I too have that noise on mine! It's bloody annoying alright. I keep on thinking that one of the windows is slightly open. Has anyone got a response from VW on that issue?
    This may or may not be of help. I had a Passat on the fleet that had a wind noise and it was because the door was not aligned correctly. Step out of the car close the door and check to see if the door closes flush with the rest of the bodywork. If it is slightly proud it will need adjusting. Worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

flanzer wrote:

dodgy door seals are the bain of many new mkv owners from 04 and 05 years, new 06 ones have been sorted. my mums new 1.6fsi doors are fine, however the boot lid is canted to one side . the sales guy advises me nothing can be done and its normal as hes seen it on all the ones recently thru the place.

my mums one has rattles from both doors (the cards need removing and reseating with new clips and maybe silicone) and a massive rattle from the center dash on accelertion. the mpg seems to average 18 mpg for the first 100 miles which is desperate as it was mostly extraurban. lcukily this is now improving and stands at 30 mpg for an extra urban trip done today but still way off official figures.
    also the dash trim is loose and doesnt seem to be affixed to the dash at all as it moves up and down.

anyway the moral is build quality at vw has gone down the pan. i think they are having poor industrial relations like irish ferries and the workers couldnt be bothered assembling and checking them. shame really:mad:

thanks cross, i have checked the door and both are not aligned properly. the drivers side or passenger side, but im just thinking if i go to the garage they can just say that someone tried to break in.
    anyway i will give it a try.and see what happens

If someone tried to break in there would be signs of 'attack'. Crowbar marks, kinks in the paint where metal was bent. If there are no signs of break in then what can they say. If you get no joy ring VW Customer Service on 01 4094444 and give them hell. Let me know how you get on.

To the poster who mentioned his mothers boot lid, I'd be interested to know why nothing can be done. Ask the salesman whats wrong and why it can't be fixed. I bet he can't explain it technically. Main dealer sales people couldn't care less about your warranty problems unless your a regular repeat customer - if your not buying then adios. Go to the service dept and demand a logical and reasonable explanation. If it sounds plausible then OK, maybe. If it sounds like rubbish then it probably is. If you do go back let me know the 'excuse'

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Rattles and cabin noise drive me fupping mental :mad:

Get them rattles sorted before a)your warranty runs out and b)you go mad.

Alternatively you could buy a 1kW ICE system like mine and never hear another rattle.................

• Advertisement

And to read the English press you would swear a rubber dashboard is the cure to all ills...

Lomb, dont take that crap about a misaligned boot being "normal".

Dre, if the service indicator is coming on maybe you do need a service. In fairness you have done reasonable mileage, and by the sounds of things you dont spare it. For the sake of an oil change you might as well get it done.

(In fact if I owned a VW i would still service it every 10k or so, but thats me...)

maidhc wrote:

(In fact if I owned a VW i would still service it every 10k or so, but thats me...)
    I've had hundreds of VWs serviced as per display and have had no problems relating to extended service intervals. When service intervals were extended from 3,000 and 5,000 miles to 10,000 there were a lot of people who though that 10,000 was too long betwen services........................

in fairness the guys at annesley are gentlemen. all the problems (the reasonable ones anyway) will be sorted under warranty after another few thousand miles to bring up any new ones. its alot of money to spend on defective goods. i just cant believe vw standards have dropped so low. even the boot on her car isnt properly painted. its primered so it wont matter. my experiance was the last of the mkivs were built amazingly well. i have one myself from 2003 and the difference between that and this is night and day in terms of build. however this car really is new technology. there are computers everywhere, not sure if thats a good or bad thing. but to give an example the automatic shift is absolutely seemless under normal use. even the stearing assist level can be programmed thru vag.com so u can have gti stearing :eek:

I agree - the MkIV (Golf A4) were better than the MkV(A5). But every new VW model has problems. It's like the don't test all variations to the proper extent. They let the customer do most of the testing and tweak the model as they consult the warranty statistics!!

they definately dont test them. but they sort problems eventually. a hugh problem with early 1.4s was clogging throttle bodies from back flowing gases, in my one i have a nifty active carbon filter pumping away cleaning the gases. all panels fit perfectly and theres no rattles at all to speak of. the front headlamps are glass which is nice and the car is much more drivable than my mothers old 99 1.4 mkiv.

crosstownk wrote:
    I've had hundreds of VWs serviced as per display and have had no problems relating to extended service intervals. When service intervals were extended from 3,000 and 5,000 miles to 10,000 there were a lot of people who though that 10,000 was too long betwen services........................

I know, but after buying a 30k car a few litres of oil and a filter isnt going to kill anyone. You will probably get in back on the resale, I reckon if two cars with 60k were put side by side, one with 2 stamps and the other with 6, it doesnt take much imagination to guess which one would go first.

maidhc wrote:
    I know, but after buying a 30k car a few litres of oil and a filter isnt going to kill anyone. You will probably get in back on the resale, I reckon if two cars with 60k were put side by side, one with 2 stamps and the other with 6, it doesnt take much imagination to guess which one would go first.
    You're absolutely right - it depends if you think it's all worth the cost. In time all this will change as people get used to long-life service intervals.

Sorry folks, I also forgot to mention my MK V Golf had to go back and have it's steering rack replaced! I noticed after a few months driving it, that the steering was 'creeking' when parking or moving away from a stationary position while turning.

When it went back I had a word with the mechanic on the QT, and he said that a lot were coming back, in particular the GTIs! So if you notice any noices from from steering, get onto VW!

I've a feeling they're gonna be busy over the next few months :p

I reckon i'll mention the noises at the next service, but its something that i wouldn't have thought would be too easy to fix. Once the tunes are up high enough, its not that bad ;)

One thing i'm really surprised about is the km's i'm getting on the first set of tyres. I'm at 45,000 km at the moment and there's still lots of thread left. I'd say drdre is in a different boat tho' :D

Another note, an extra that not all golf owners are aware of and i'll mention it again just in case, is that you can open and close your windows using the keyfob. The only reason i say it is another golf owner saw me doing it one day and was unaware it could be done.

• Advertisement

lomb wrote:
    dodgy door seals are the bain of many new mkv owners from 04 and 05 years, new 06 ones have been sorted. my mums new 1.6fsi doors are fine, however the boot lid is canted to one side . the sales guy advises me nothing can be done and its normal as hes seen it on all the ones recently thru the place.

I've just rang McAllister's on this problem and they know nothing about it! (Didn't surprise me to be honest) They also told me that any adjustments/realignments that need to be made are only covered by a 6 month warranty. Surely this is a manufacturer defect and is covered under the 2 year warranty!? Anyone ring the VW helpline?

Advertisement