Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Was I Ripped Off?

Options
  • 09-03-2006 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just got new 3 new wipers, 2 front and 1 rear, not just the rubber blade but the whole thing that clips onto the bit that sticks up. I also got the guy to remove some very hard glue (think he had to get a grinder at it) that was on the back of my rear view mirror. €35 total:eek: I wasn't there for longer than 5 minutes. I feel ripped off!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

sounds ok to me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Sounds grand to be honest, thought it would have been more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

Sounds right, wiper rubbers alone are about 8 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

decent wipers (bosch) are about 12 euro so that would be 36 so u did fine i reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

cormie wrote:
    not just the rubber blade but the whole thing that clips onto the bit that sticks up.
    Nah, €35 sounds about right.
    You can get them cheaper but thats for crappy ones.
    I doubt he charged you for labour at all at that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

He did you a sound deal. What makes you think it was a rip-off? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I wouldn't get off my chair for €35.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Don't wipers cost about €10 upwards anyhow?
    Sounds like the guy didn't make anything really from the deal.
    What way was the invoice done?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

They are bosch ones actually, so sounds like I did ok, I was just surprised they cost so much, as long as I wasn't ripped off I'm ok:) No invoice done, just gave him 40, he handed me back 5. He's my local guy and has done work for me before. Good to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

cormie wrote:
    Hi,
    Just got new 3 new wipers, 2 front and 1 rear, not just the rubber blade but the whole thing that clips onto the bit that sticks up. I also got the guy to remove some very hard glue (think he had to get a grinder at it) that was on the back of my rear view mirror. €35 total:eek: I wasn't there for longer than 5 minutes. I feel ripped off!

I paid €25 for 2 front wiper blades a couple of months ago so €35 for 3 is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Easily knowing you guys are from Dublin, you dont know the value of money.

I got the car serviced in an Opel Garage last week.

New wiper blades (the full set) €10, thats for the wiper itself that comes with the rubber blades. as per the receipt.

Wake up! This whole country is a rip off.

Full Service costs €125.

Oil & Filters
    Sparks
    Air Filter
    Wipers
    Fixed window washer
    Fixed Heater in the car.
    Car doesnt eleacute me anymore either.
    Light bulbs.

1999 Opel Astra 83k on the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

kluivert wrote:
    Full Service costs €125.

Oil & Filters
    Sparks
    Air Filter
    Wipers
    Fixed window washer
    Fixed Heater in the car.
    Light bulbs.

where did you get that done?
    Hopefully not too far from Bray :D
    My old golf diesel wouldn't start before Christmas, mechanic quoted me over €600 , went else where, they replaced the glow plugs, tidied up some wireing, replaced front disks and pads for €250, car is flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

kluivert wrote:

I'm fascinated, tell me more..

Anan1 wrote:
    I'm fascinated, tell me more..
    I was hoping he meant 'electrocuted' rather than something perverted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

sounds like an alright price, donot worry about it, if it had to be done than its worth it.

drdre wrote:
    sounds like an alright price, donot worry about it, if it had to be done than its worth it.

Well it didn't really.. I like to compare parts to the total price of the car, €35 is nearly 6% of the total cost of the car:eek: My insurance is about 200% the cost of the car but that's a different story:o

But your insurance cost isn't directly related to the value of your car but to the risk you (and to a certain extent, the car) pose whilst driving, etc.

I know, just in terms of cost of being on the road:)

cormie wrote:
    Well it didn't really.. I like to compare parts to the total price of the car, €35 is nearly 6% of the total cost of the car
    lol
    then why did you get new wipers at all?
    Motor factors, garages, manufacturers and suppliers don't base the price of parts on the book value of the target vehicle.:D

(Your car was around €600, right?
    Don't bother with servicing, just drive it till it stops and you'll get the best mileage for your money)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Gurgle wrote:
    lol
    Motor factors, garages, manufacturers and suppliers don't base the price of parts on the book value of the target vehicle.:D
    Maybe he just wanted to be able to see properly out of the windscreen when it's raining? Strange idea, I know, but it might just be true. Just because you've got a relatively cheap car doesn't mean you shouldn't maintain it properly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭The OP

kluivert wrote:
    Easily knowing you guys are from Dublin, you dont know the value of money.

I got the car serviced in an Opel Garage last week.

New wiper blades (the full set) €10, thats for the wiper itself that comes with the rubber blades. as per the receipt.

Wake up! This whole country is a rip off.

Full Service costs €125.

Oil & Filters
    Sparks
    Air Filter
    Wipers
    Fixed window washer
    Fixed Heater in the car.
    Light bulbs.

Yeah, but living down the country means you have to live down the country, so it all balances out.

I personally order EVERYTHING on eBay - from Linen, pillows, to shoes, to wiper blades, to coffee beans, to hair gel, to fish food, ink, photo paper, DVDs, jeans, all my X-mas presents, etc, etc - all much cheaper than getting ripped off in Ireland. It's not as if I "don't go out" - I just do much shopping in Ireland, except weekly groceries & petrol - even toiletries I get on eBay where possible, or else Musgrave. I don't like paying more than people in the UK or US - and eBay is still cheaper than most retail outlets in those countries.

So I guess my point is - yes, I live in Dublin (which I prefer than the bog), but I never pay rip-off Dublin prices where possible.

Anyway, back on topic....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

skibum wrote:
    where did you get that done?
    Hopefully not too far from Bray :D
    My old golf diesel wouldn't start before Christmas, mechanic quoted me over €600 , went else where, they replaced the glow plugs, tidied up some wireing, replaced front disks and pads for €250, car is flying.

Opel Garage in Monaghan. Very reasonable. I asked for the gear box oil to be changed, never done, wheel bearing needs to be changed but they couldnt identify which one is going.

"Electrocuted" is what i meant. Everytime i went to close the door the bloody thing would shock me. Static build up in the car, but they fixed that as well, without putting that stupid little black strip on the back bumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I buy Bosch wiper blades from eurocarparts.com and they work out at appox. €5.80 each. The same items are sold around the corner in Halfrauds for over twice that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭The OP

el tel wrote:
    The same items are sold around the corner in Halfrauds for over twice that.

It's "Halfords".

The OP wrote:
    It's "Halfords".

:D

Alun wrote:
    Maybe he just wanted to be able to see properly out of the windscreen when it's raining? Strange idea, I know, but it might just be true. Just because you've got a relatively cheap car doesn't mean you shouldn't maintain it properly.
    The [sarcasm] tags don't work on your PC ?
    You need to enable them in your web browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

el tel wrote:
    I buy Bosch wiper blades from eurocarparts.com and they work out at appox. €5.80 each. The same items are sold around the corner in Halfrauds for over twice that.

good price. that include postage? gonna have a look on there now

walshy123 wrote:
    good price. that include postage? gonna have a look on there now

I don't know about P&P as I buy them in the branch in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Gurgle wrote:
    The [sarcasm] tags don't work on your PC ?
    You need to enable them in your web browser.

Oh, I see, you mean those invisible [sarcasm] tags that you didn't actually put in? Or are we all supposed to be psychic or something?

Anyway, judging by the deplorable state of a lot of older cars here in Ireland, I had no reason to suspect you weren't being anything but 100% serious.
    lol

(Your car was around €600, right? Don't bother with servicing, just drive it till it stops and you'll get the best mileage for your money)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The OP wrote:
    Yeah, but living down the country means you have to live down the country, so it all balances out.
    Zing :D

Advertisement