Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England and Scotland set for a dumping of snow (minor risk for east & north Eire)

Options
  • 09-03-2006 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

A classic situation is setting itself up but unfortunatley NOT for here:rolleyes:

Northern England, Eastern England and Scotland look set to be the battleground
    for the battle of the cold east and warm moist west. There could be falls of
    8 inches or more widely across Britain on Saturday.. Places like Newcastle
    and much of Sctoland look like your best bets if you want to fly over and catch
    what could be a massive snowfall.

Were going to be talking feet in some places:rolleyes: :o;)

just thought i'd update there is a wee risk that there could be some falling
    snow through Ulster and north Leinster Saturday night.

I thought i might aswell highlight the 10% risk;)

Comments

Hmmm
    They arent sure.
    They reckon(The met) that the mild will win and its even possible that it will win quickly.

I personally think in England and wales its mainly going to be a high ground event.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yep Northern England, North Wales and Scotland look set for many hours
    of very heavy snow with accumalations of 15-20cm's with maxima of -1c
    through Sunday;)

think in Western Scotland/North Wales we will see level depths of over 14 inches or 35cm's:eek:

If only, If only:o

Its just a smack in the face! I've never seen 100miles make so much of a difference before in my life!

It often does and you have seen it, only you werent looking.
    I remember a february in the late 90's when a rain front passed through Ireland and on its back end temps here hist nearly 14c whereas it was exclusively snow in wales caught up in an Easterly.

I remember watching the snow on the BBC wales news.It could have been 1998 or 97 but it was mid to late 90's.

Incidently,theres a growing trend to an Easterly-the type of Easterly that would have done the business in january.

I remember snow on paddies day before from an Easterly.
    It didnt stick very well at low levels but boy did it dump a lot anywhere inland above 500ft.

Yes it is increasingly looking like the run up to Paddys day will be bittery cold especially in the east.. With east winds all the way from siberia.. literally!

Temps will struggle to 3-4c across the country come Thursday and its March:eek: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Speaking of Easterlies, here is a nice chart for 5 days away:
    http://217.160.75.104/wz/pics/Rtavn1201.png
    Though as Earthman rightly said, it would have been a great easterly for January.

If you want snow grap a flight to Glasgow tonite while ya can..

Places like Glasgow, Liverpool, Manchester will be seeing there biggest
    snowfall in at least 10 years.

Much of Wales can expect its biggest fall since 1996 with upto 1 foot of dust likely;) :rolleyes:

just re'ing your post on TWO..

The whole thing is that the cold air to the east of England is now beginning
    to undercut the system. The first front will begin to dy away before the band behind it pushes in. I think it will fall as snow at first anyway in western wales;)

just re'ing your post on TWO..
    You dont read that do you...
    The whole thing is that the cold air to the east of England is now beginning
    to undercut the system. The first front will begin to dy away before the band behind it pushes in. I think it will fall as snow at first anyway in western wales;)
    You forget it has to cross the sea first and the rain band at the beach isnt going to say right lads we're on the beach now lets turn to snow.
    Theres not enough of a cold undercut to do that.Inland yes,Coastal no ,not at first.

Hmmm the Temp has dropped a degree here since the rain arrived.
    Now only 5 c

Hard to say what that front will do in the UK,it should pep up when it as warm atlantic air meets the cold continental air.

• Advertisement

rainband already getting its act together although the ground isnt even wet here yet..

Some areas of NI could see temps low enough for some wet snow later this evening with temps down to 1c;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the difference between here on the east coast and the western coast of uk can often been huge, the irsh sea altho short is a massive barrier, quite often even in the 80s wales & england would have spells of snow from atlantic systems caught up in cold air and Ireland would be very mild and wet like whats happening this weekend, this has happened countless times before. This also happens quite regularly in the summer when all of england and wales are 25-30C with scotching sunshine and thunderstorms for days on end when the east of ireland is stuck on 18-20c and cloudy.

Hmmm temp is still dropping here slowly
    Now 4.7c thats 3c colder than this morning.

Shame about the dewpoint 2.7c

I'd imagine its snowing on the top of lug and will continue to do so tonight and maybe down to 1500ft for a while-certainly above 2000ft though.

a night of cold rain ahead Earthman;)

Might even get down to 2c here or over there but it still wont be cold enough
    for snow;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

4.8c here. Boy has there been alot of rain today.

a night of cold rain ahead Earthman;)

Might even get down to 2c here or over there but it still wont be cold enough
    for snow;)
    Well it certainly isnt (as I correctly said earlier) in west wales..
    Rain in mumbles and Valley with temps even warmer than here.

I think some people over there are in for a disappointment.

Wasn't sure where to post it but I can report that heavy sleet is currently falling here.

Mainly rain but snowflakes can easily be made out on the window.:)

when you talk about changing when it gets to the beach!

Belfast has rain while Stranraer has snow there hardly 40miles between them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Played a match out in that weather on saturday in the worst possible conditions i have ever played in,in 23 years im playing football i have never experience this cold wind and rain,bloody awful.
    I have a mate who flew to manchester to see newcastle game and he just informed me that it started to snow,but not settleing,he texted me to say that it is like fine ice pellets(transient snow) and it nearly cuts the face off you,well here is hoping for a newcastle win and that we will have a late surprise for paddies day/weekend, right everyone cross those fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

A massive dump of the white stuff here in Glasgow tonight

• Advertisement

Was any snow or sleet seen by anyone in Ireland last night? The sleet I had didn't last too long before it died down to drizzle.

To the person in Glasgow, would you say more than 6 inches fell last night? Lucky bastids:p

And the amount of snow falling over much of the UK is incredible, judging by the 8 AM radar. The damn front has stalled though, giving here a miserable muggy and foggy morning:rolleyes: It's still raining here, albeit drizzle and it has been raining here since about 3 PM yesterday

I've seen photo's from Galsgow area where aroun 1 foot has fallen:eek:

Fort William has officially 25cm's of lying snow the last i heard;)

And the 9 AM radar still shows up a pesky spot of drizzle over the Drogheda area. What an amazing difference 100 miles makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

snow0xk.jpg

snow15lw.jpg

snow28cp.jpg

Advertisement