Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 Ireland mobile network

• 09-03-2006 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

After a couple of years of a contract with Vodafone i recently switched to 3 Ireland (having seen their slick marketing campaign everywhere i looked,tv,billboards,sides of buses etc).
    I got my sooper dooper new handset and tried to play the games that were already installed on it.I couldnt play them so i called 3 Ireland customer care(in Edinburgh, strangely enough),and was told there was a problem with the existing games but i could download and play new games.No i couldnt.
    Bottom line is,two months,two bills and six calls to 3 Ireland later i still cant play any games on my state of the art 3G phone.
    Unbelievably they wont tell me how long this "glitch" has been going on and wont tell me when it will be sorted.Meanwhile they continue to religiously send my monthly bills which like a right eejit i pay (cos if i dont they will take me to court for breach of contract)
    Am i the only person in Ireland having problems with these people? Can anyone offer me any sensible advice? :(

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

After a couple of years of a contract with Vodafone i recently switched to 3 Ireland (having seen their slick marketing campaign everywhere i looked,tv,billboards,sides of buses etc).
    I got my sooper dooper new handset and tried to play the games that were already installed on it.I couldnt play them so i called 3 Ireland customer care(in Edinburgh, strangely enough),and was told there was a problem with the existing games but i could download and play new games.No i couldnt.
    Bottom line is,two months,two bills and six calls to 3 Ireland later i still cant play any games on my state of the art 3G phone.
    Unbelievably they wont tell me how long this "glitch" has been going on and wont tell me when it will be sorted.Meanwhile they continue to religiously send my monthly bills which like a right eejit i pay (cos if i dont they will take me to court for breach of contract)
    Am i the only person in Ireland having problems with these people? Can anyone offer me any sensible advice? :(

There is a mobile phone forum.

In the past when Meteor came into the market they had the same sort of problems. Now the are fine. It takes a while to sort out is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

They were doing promotions up at Oxegen last year but when my friend asked them what there QoS was and they couldn't tell him we lost all interest in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

gaf1983 wrote:
    They were doing promotions up at Oxegen last year but when my friend asked them what there QoS was and they couldn't tell him we lost all interest in them.

by QoS do you mean coverage? its 99.5% for calls and text, 72% for 3g stuff. i take it the OP has a v3x? the games on it only work once for some reason then tell you you need a licence or some such. what happens when you try to download them? is it just that you're not in a 3g area? "it doesn't work" is quite vague. i've found their customer care to be fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Conor-s

in the area i live in i am having a prob with my signal. 3 keep telling me it is becuase it is fulctuating between 3g and 2g. i would have 2g one minute next minute it would say 3g and then i would have no signal. has anyone else had this prob??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

You can set your phone to pick up only the 2G network, if your 3G coverage at home is flakey, you'd be better off doing this, and switching it back to pick up the 3G coverage when you are in a better coverage area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from AH.

i called 3 Ireland customer care(in Edinburgh, strangely enough)
    At least you're on billpay, prepaid customers are sent to India. The lack of an Irish presence with 3 makes me sick.
    embee wrote:
    You can set your phone to pick up only the 2G network, if your 3G coverage at home is flakey, you'd be better off doing this, and switching it back to pick up the 3G coverage when you are in a better coverage area.
    3 tend to disable this setting though. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

They didnt on mine :D
    I have a Nokia 6680 running FW 3.04.37 (I keep meaning to get it upgraded to v4). This is the generic, unbranded, unrestricted Nokia firmware, the kind you get on SIM-Free phones. So none of the features are restricted on mine.

I dont know about the other manufacturers, but you could try asking at the service centres to get the software upgraded to a generic version thats not branded or restricted.

The only things I miss on my phone now are the Planet3 button (rather handy) and the 3 Theme which included their startup logo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

They didnt on mine :D
    I have a Nokia 6680 running FW 3.04.37 (I keep meaning to get it upgraded to v4). This is the generic, unbranded, unrestricted Nokia firmware, the kind you get on SIM-Free phones. So none of the features are restricted on mine.

I dont know about the other manufacturers, but you could try asking at the service centres to get the software upgraded to a generic version thats not branded or restricted.

The only things I miss on my phone now are the Planet3 button (rather handy) and the 3 Theme which included their startup logo.

Latest 6680 generic firmware is actually 5.04.07

Latest Irish branded are 4.04.07 (Vodafone & O2), 3.04.37 (3)

Advertisement