Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mondeo or Passat??

Options
  • 09-03-2006 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi,
    I'm thinking of changing the motor in the next few months. I'm driving an alfa 156 at the moment, but would just like something with a bigger boot.

I'm considering going for a diesel mondeo or a diesel passat - probably 2002 or 2003.

Are they both reliable cars? I've heard mixed opinions on the passat, but think they look great. Any thoughts on either?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭joeblogg1

Both are generally reliable. I would say Passat better all round (looks , fit out etc) but Mondeo feels better to drive.

For this type of car second hand I would defo say one of these 2 is the best, ie forget Lagunas, Peugeot 407/607 etc unless you also own your own tow truck and garage:rolleyes:

May be worth your while looking at something like the Hyundia Sonata (I think thats the model I mean) Its a great big car and reliable too. Also you could get a 2 or 3 year old Toyota Avensis or Camry at a reasonable price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I would go with the Passat, I have one but its a 00 Base model and looking to change to a 02 130Bhp model, friend just got one but with 6-speed and it is an animal to go. Easy on the diesel as well, I am getting 500-600 on a tank and he is getting the same with more power thou. Interior is nice on them and I like the look of them, not sure about the mondea but a friend had a petrol one and I never liked it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

The mondeo gets my vote, although it wont be worth much when you are selling it on you should get far more for your money than you will if you go with a passat. By the time you will be selling a Passat wont be worth a whole lot either, so you shouldnt loose too much extra in depreciation.

Get the 115bhp TDCi if you are going for one, it will be nicer to drive, although the TDDi has a reputation of being absolutely bullet-proof.

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say the mondeo is probably a more reliable car than the avensis. My experience of Avensi certainly bears this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

(being slightly biassed) I'd vote for an old shape avensis D-4D 116bhp. cracking engine, and a hoot to drive. 99% of 03's will have alloys, climate control, fogs etc. Apart from the odd dodgy flywheel, very little goes wrong on them. If I had to choose between Mondeo or Passat, I'd go with the Passat, unless I could get a ridiculously high spec Mondeo for the same money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

My old pair had bad experiences with a '99 passat. Electrics were an absolute mess - to the extent that the sunroof liked to open if it rained, and then wouldn't shut. Leccy windows had a mind of their own too, and other sundry stuff was dodgy.

Having said that, they did buy a brand new one recently (05)

We had mondeos before that, and I really like the "Executive" mondeo (loadsa gadgets!)

Mondeo is by far the more superior drive of the two, but the VW will have better residuals. If it's a car you're going to own for a good few years, I'd choose the Ford.

Michael

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

In my experience the passats the better car especially in diesel models. My dads just bought his 3rd TDI passat and never a major fault with any. It will outlast the mondeo and the resale value on each just doesn't compare. The mondeo may be quieter inside and a slightly smoother ride but for reliability and resale value I'd go with the passat. By the way if its a TDI with a red D its the more powerful engine.

Scotty # wrote:
    . By the way if its a TDI with a red D its the more powerful engine.

red D not always more powerful eg. 100 bhp

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A lightly used low mileage Mondeo TDCI Zetec is the way to go.

Tremendous value (I wouldn't advocate buying a new one) powerful, smooth, reliable, comfortable, well equipped and with magnificent road manners. None of the other cars mentioned above (some good cars granted) can live with it's ride and handling combo.

A good friend of mine has an 04 which he needs to sell shortly, in order to buy a van......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

02 Volvo s60se could be found around the same price same engine and enterior as the s80 and still loads of space.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bennyc wrote:
    02 Volvo s60se could be found around the same price same engine and enterior as the s80 and still loads of space.

He wants a diesel benny, and the S60 diesel is a 2.4 litre. Not really comparable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

a lot of people might not realise that nearly all mondeo's are built in Germany
    so they are very well built indeed.
    where else are you going to get a German built car for a good second hand price.

I borrowed a 2003 passat TDi for a day recently & i thought the gear changes were rough & tractor like.the steering was terrible too.
    what i did like was the all that torque,but you'll get all that + more from a 130 tdci mondeo.
    I was happy to get back into my 98' mondeo TBH!

mondeo all the way.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 jdf

You should take a look at the Skoda Superb in 130bhp guise. It is by far and away the most car for the money. It offers excellent levels of comfort and economy and you'll need to get an S Class merc to better the interior space. It is relatively rare too so you won't be seeing hundreds of em everytime you take to the roads.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Get the new 2.2 155bhp mondeo, a weapon for a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

I'd go for the Passat, defo. I know reps who have done a lot of mileage in both, two of them had Mondeo's and hated them, they gave awful bother. Passats seemed to be much better and one of them has just ordered an 06 one in place of a Laguna (which he also hated and had trouble trading in with a VW garage). The lifeline of a Passat would be longer for high mileage I think, it seems a heavier more reliable car and I'd much rather it on my driveway when it comes to trading in in the future. The 130bhp 6 speed engines are savage. If you can get one imported from the UK the spec would be much better.

@ Scotty - The red letters start with a red I(TDIusually 110bhp), then a red DI(TDI130bhp), then all red(TDI150bhp).

VW can give some electrical models with window switches, but usually can be fixed for cheap enough - they give feck all engine trouble though. You would usually find this only in models at the start of the Mark period.

yop wrote:
    Get the new 2.2 155bhp mondeo, a weapon for a diesel.

What price are you talking about on these? I test drove one of the new 2.0Ltr TDI Passats and I can tell you they are an animal, power is unreal in them. Going to test drive a 02 1.9Tdi 130Bhp one on Sat myself, only 20 quid more on my insurance so mite buy it, I have wanted one of them since I bought my 00 one

faigs wrote:
    @ Scotty - The red letters start with a red I(TDIusually 110bhp), then a red DI(TDI130bhp), then all red(TDI150bhp).

I used to think the same but then my brother girlfiend got her 02 with TDi and it is only the 100Bhp model, seemily at some stage VW started to f**k around abit with them. best just to check with garage on what the Bhp is, most of them will know that people will want to know so include on information when selling. The thing with teh VW is to get one with low milage second hand, my 00 has only 87k and most garages are mad to take it off me for 10k(prob 9K really) but I only paided 10k for it last yeat and have done 20k miles on it.

Oh yeah if buyign the Passat, make sure to get comfortline, mine is base and I notice the difference in the interior on the 02 Comfortline model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 seanmc

Thanks - will probably go with the passat. When you take trade-in into account. When the time comes I might import from the north. Had a look in autotrader and there are some 02 130bhp models for in around £6000-£7000 - around 9-10k euros. VRT is around 3500 euros on top of that.

I'll have a look on carzone.ie as well.

seemily at some stage VW started to f**k around abit with them.

I haven't heard that, but I do know in the Golfs that the TDI's can be 100 or 110 bhp. Some people buy fake badges and stick them on :rolleyes:

You can always find out in the service book or tax book I guess.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I hear they are doing that with some of the A4's in the Uk, selling as 130bhp but are only 100's!

Nelly- I spotted them on a few UK sites, u are talking about 14.5k sterling for a 05 model. They are a classy looking motor

http://www.perrys.co.uk/used_choice?params_F=8898971///0/9999999

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

jdf wrote:
    You should take a look at the Skoda Superb in 130bhp guise. It is by far and away the most car for the money. It offers excellent levels of comfort and economy and you'll need to get an S Class merc to better the interior space. It is relatively rare too so you won't be seeing hundreds of em everytime you take to the roads.

I agree 100%

Also, if you go from a 156 to a Mondeo or Passat, you will die of boredom within a week.......:p

• Advertisement

the 100bhp models have a red D and I. the only way to be sure is to look at the tax book.

AFAIK the on old type Passats the 90bhp had an all silver badge, the 110 had a red I, and the 130 had all red. then on the newer ones ther 100 had a red D and I, and after that i got confused

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

prospect wrote:
    Also, if you go from a 156 to a Mondeo or Passat, you will die of boredom within a week.......:p

Whys that, because you wont have to keep repairing your car?? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Chief--- wrote:
    Whys that, because you wont have to keep repairing your car?? :D:D

LOL
    Touche.

colm_mcm wrote:
    the 100bhp models have a red D and I. the only way to be sure is to look at the tax book.

AFAIK the on old type Passats the 90bhp had an all silver badge, the 110 had a red I, and the 130 had all red. then on the newer ones ther 100 had a red D and I, and after that i got confused

Has anyone an official explanation of these red letters? I would be interested in seeing VW's explanation of their use - clear up the confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:

I know the A4 100bhp DOES NOT have a red D. The Grandfather had an 03 one.

The 90bhp was replaced by the 100bhp which in turn was replaced by the 105bhp. All of these are silver, but you should know from the age of the car which model you have. Anything from 02 on shouldbe a 100. Dont expect any to be much more than adequate.

You are much more likely to die of boredom in a passat than a mondeo. The superb will probably be comfortable, but drive like a boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

maidhc wrote:
    I know the A4 100bhp DOES NOT have a red D. The Grandfather had an 03 one.

Sold!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭phill106

bought an 02 passat tdi with the 6speed gearbox and 130 bhp in the comfortline version. Beast of a car, makes me want to drive even when i have nowhere to go! Find myself up at 70mph without even noticing in 6th with only 2000 or so revs. Lots and lots of power. Glanza tried to undertake me on dual carriageway, i was havin none of it :)
    Go, get it!buy it in the comfortline! I paid 10400 for a 02 one with 73k on the clock privately. Think i did well!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

faigs wrote:
    Has anyone an official explanation of these red letters? I would be interested in seeing VW's explanation of their use - clear up the confusion.

I think this is how the German logic works:

VW Passat:
    1997 - 2000
    1.9 TDi - 90bhp
    1.9 TDi - 110bhp

2001 - 2002
    1.9 TDi - 100bhp
    1.9 TDi - 110bhp
    1.9 TDi - 130bhp

2002 - 2005
    1.9 TDi - 100bhp
    1.9 TDi - 130bhp

2005 - Present
    1.9 TDi - 105bhp
    2.0 TDi - 140bhp

VW Golf:
    1998 - 2001
    1.9 TDi - 90bhp
    1.9 TDi - 110bhp
    1.9 TDi - 130bhp
    1.9 TDi - 150bhp

2002 - 2004
    1.9 TDi - 100bhp
    1.9 TDi - 130bhp
    1.9 TDi - 150bhp

2004 - Present
    1.9 TDi - 90bhp
    1.9 TDi - 105bhp
    2.0 TDi - 140bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Yes, VW has fecked about with their badging... I know of a person with a TDi but it is a 130 BHP Trendline. Also to add to the confusion, My da's 05 Comfortline 1.9TDI is just an all silver TDI but it is the 105BHP Spec engine. So go figure... There are no definite explanations even though VW Claim there is.

Anyway, My dad switched from a fully loaded Laguna estate to the VW Passat Comfortline ( 05 ) TDI and has never been happier. He loves it to drive, So I say go for the passat. One thing I notice on the passat, You mentioned you want to switch due to you wanting a bigger boot, The passat's boot is huge, But.. because its a hatch back, You cannot fit anything big into it, Cant even get a bike into the back of it. IT has a very small opening, But the boot its self is very deep.

Lovely car the passat TDI's are and they go like the clappers :D

Hj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

If it was a choice of new car, I'd go for the 2.0TDi Passat.

But the new Passat is out of your price range....I'd go for the Mondeo Zetec TDCi....

Advertisement