Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish Motor Taxes: VRT, VAT, Motor Tax

Options
  • 09-03-2006 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Can anyone help me here?

What are the taxes in the Irish motor system?
    I have figures for VRT+ VAT and the annual motor tax.

What are the tariffs for importing cars from different countries (japan etc.?)

Cheers
    Quad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭adam01

Hello There.

here is the webpage that will HELP you.....ADAM:)

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/motor_tax_rates.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Thanks Adam.

But that page covers VRT & Motor Tax.

I was looking for info on import tariffs (as taxes and tariffs that Ireland levees on Japanese cars or American cars etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,417 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

quad_red wrote:
    I was looking for info on import tariffs (as taxes and tariffs that Ireland levees on Japanese cars or American cars etc)

For cars imported into Ireland from outside of the EU, it is 10% import duty on the invoice value of the car plus the shipping costs. Then add 21% VAT on top of this

So an example:

Invoice value of car: €10,000
    Shipping:€1,000

Total: €11,000

So duty is €1,100 + 21% = €1,331

I guess you already know you'd have to pay VRT as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

import duty?

colm_mcm wrote:
    import duty?

What's your question, Colm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I imported a car from Japan at the end of 2004 and I was told that the import duty on a car was 20%. This is what I paid. Can anyone tell me why it seems to be 10% now and if I can claim back the half that I apprently shouldn't have paid (well, it's nice to have a laugh on a Friday!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd forgotten about import duty, jaysus they get you for VRT and VAT aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

quad_red wrote:
    Hey all,
    Can anyone help me here?

What are the taxes in the Irish motor system?
    I have figures for VRT+ VAT and the annual motor tax.

What are the tariffs for importing cars from different countries (japan etc.?)

Cheers
    Quad

Just though I'd let you know, If you are under 30 and drive anything over 990cc expect to pay around between 10 to 50% of your wages on insurance alone, which is compulsory.
    Then add delicious €1.10 a Litre Petrol and Diesel. For dessert add the tolls on the Motorways, maybe from 1 to 5% of your Income if you were to use them regulary.

Ah the joys of Motoring in Ireland. With all that tax they're taking in you'd think we'd be a world leader of Public Transportation......Think Again. :mad:

netwhizkid wrote:
    If you are under 30 and drive anything over 990cc expect to pay around between 10 to 50% of your wages on insurance alone

What are you on about? Your figures do not make sense. A 29 year old man (divide the quote by two for a woman), unfortunate enough to only earn the legal minimum wage (probably only non-nationals earning the minimum wage at this stage), with a 12 year old full license and NCB, driving a 991cc car would not pay more than 2 percent of their net wages on insurance

Advertisement