Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid comments by Americans!!!!

Options
  • 09-03-2006 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Do you have a moon or stars in Ireland?

How long does it take to drive to Ireland?

Do you know any Leprecans?

Is this the first time you've seen an Automobile?

How do you survive without Electricty?

Just a few comments I've heard while I was Stateside. the worst thing is these people were been genuine

Anybody got anymore to add

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

mayotom wrote:
    Stupid comments be Americans!!!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

He has to BE an american!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Just tired been a long day..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is a real letter to the Galway Advertiser, I have the paper clipping at home. It's about a year old or so.

Dear Editor,
    I post this letter on my departure from Ireland, with a heavy heart.

On my recent visit to Ireland I briefly took in the enchanting city of Galway and quite frankly I was a little disturbed by what I saw. I am from New York and as a little girl growing up I have been made aware that these little guys' main purpose is to entertain us tourists, how and ever, as I prepared to board my flight to Ireland I was filled with excitement as I was finally going to come face to face with a real live leprechaun.

I spent four weeks touring Ireland, north to south, east to west, and I didn't even see one. It was only while walking down Eyre Square that the reason for this became clear - as one of the local pubs was clearly stating the fact that they "no longer test their shirts on leprechauns," it's obvious that you no longer think you require the benefits of the leprechaun, don't you realise your country is nothing but fields and trees without them.

I was enraged at this. I understand that the introduction of the euro may have slowed things in Ireland down a little, but for pity's sake, the tourists are still travelling to your country and to be blatantly honest, I feel we are being cheated out of appreciating the little guys.

I ask you has it really come to this in Ireland, that the leprechauns are being relegated to the menial job of testing the durability of cotton? You have tarnished your culture. You have tarnished the spirit of the leprechaun. These little guys are the reason your land is so popular; they are the tradition that brings us Americans to your country, and mark my words, if these little guys aren't reinstated, it will be the reason we never return.

Yours,
    Mary-Ann Durtz,
    New York.

biko wrote:
    This is a real letter to the Galway Advertiser, I have the paper clipping at home. It's about a year old or so.

Dear Editor,
    I post this letter on my departure from Ireland, with a heavy heart.

On my recent visit to Ireland I briefly took in the enchanting city of Galway and quite frankly I was a little disturbed by what I saw. I am from New York and as a little girl growing up I have been made aware that these little guys' main purpose is to entertain us tourists, how and ever, as I prepared to board my flight to Ireland I was filled with excitement as I was finally going to come face to face with a real live leprechaun..

I spent four weeks touring Ireland, north to south, east to west, and I didn't even see one. It was only while walking down Eyre Square that the reason for this became clear - as one of the local pubs was clearly stating the fact that they "no longer test their shirts on leprechauns," it's obvious that you no longer think you require the benefits of the leprechaun, don't you realise your country is nothing but fields and trees without them.

I was enraged at this. I understand that the introduction of the euro may have slowed things in Ireland down a little, but for pity's sake, the tourists are still travelling to your country and to be blatantly honest, I feel we are being cheated out of appreciating the little guys.

I ask you has it really come to this in Ireland, that the leprechauns are being relegated to the menial job of testing the durability of cotton? You have tarnished your culture. You have tarnished the spirit of the leprechaun. These little guys are the reason your land is so popular; they are the tradition that brings us Americans to your country, and mark my words, if these little guys aren't reinstated, it will be the reason we never return.

Yours,
    Mary-Ann Durtz,
    New York.

Excelent, remember reading that one. got a good laugh.

I was in the US in September 2001 during the World trade Centre attack.

One girl commented " this will be the end of trade in the world bacause after all the World trade centre has been destroyed So lets blow up half the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

In New York, I was complimented by a Yank
    because I was very good at speaking English.

I was lost for words after that.

I worked in Maine for a while where a lot of French Speaking canadians holidayed. The boss always said " why don't those Canadians speak american like the rest of the world"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

My self and a mate managed to convince my mates cousin that Leprechauns exsisted, but only in the mountains as it didn't have enough oxegen so the couldn't grow as we did, also that as he had heard of the Tara mines we told him it used to be called Tara's mountain but all the gold had been mined out of it .... 3 months he was over and 3 months we never told him .. well more now as he's back in the us these days.

I always get my own back on realy Loud Yanks by telling them the only way to tell if you've got a good pint of guinness is to put a 50 cent/pence coin on the top of the pint and see if it stays up :D

Was working in a shop in Galway when two yanks came in and asked where they could meet a lepricaun, I sent them to the pub around the corner, told them that they have to drink at least 8 pints of Guinness in there before the Lepricauns would trust them and come out of hiding. I met them 6 hours later staggering down the street.
    talk about Gulible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Amsterdam

Pal wrote:
    In New York, I was complimented by a Yank
    because I was very good at speaking English.

I was lost for words after that.

Exact same thing happened to me! I was in guitar store in san diego in 2004 and the guy behind the till asked us where we were from and we said Ireland, and he goes "Wow you guys have great english!" i was seriously tempted to just say nothing and walk out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭dinjo

i didn't realise we were correcting people's spelling in the "HUMOUR" section...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

This is deadly serious (i wish it wasn't though)

workin few weeks back, young yank on the payphone says
    An Idiot wrote:
    Yeah the leader is some guy called Sinn Fein, yeah he wanted Ireland to join Britain when the going was good

me and my workmate had to go behind the videos to laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Excuse me can you tell me where is the Tourist Office? Having alread walked into it:D Ah those gullible Americans who visit Killarney, I heard they once swallowed the story of Torc Waterfall being built in the 19th Century as a Famine Relief Project. :rolleyes: Intelligent Jarveys :confused: feed them all sorts of dribble!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

This happened a few months ago..

Myself and a friend at the bar, start talking to 2 random American girls.

Girl #1: "So you guys are from Ireland then?"

Us: "Yep"

Girl #1: "Don't you guys have like a famine over there at the moment?"

Us: "Eh.."

Girl #2 to Girl #1: "OMG you're so stupid. Everyone knows that the famine happened like 30 years ago".

On another occasion I watched in McDonalds as a mom told her toddler, "If you don't eat all your fries you won't grow up to be big and strong.." :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Well while in America talking to guy in bar and said I was from Ireland the guy replied with "How's the weather in Illinois? After explaining how he must have misheard me he commented on how good my english was having come from europe.

The best bit is when they ask if you know John Walsh/Mary Ford/Michael Burke from dublin/cork/galway? I mean they think the place is tiny or that everyone knows everyone in Ireland.

timeout wrote:
    The best bit is when they ask if you know John Walsh/Mary Ford/Michael Burke from dublin/cork/galway? I mean they think the place is tiny or that everyone knows everyone in Ireland.

Just tell them he's your brother or something like that. they'll belive it

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

dinjo wrote:
    i didn't realise we were correcting people's spelling in the "HUMOUR" section...
    Eh, it was a joke:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Yank says to me : Ah you must be from the North of Ireland because your hair is Dark !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭toString

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2587661313510275113

Look a the map shown to those interviewed

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

I was in Canada over the summer, staying with a Scottish friend and his Canadian wife.

She was doing the dishes and beckoned me over to show me how she did them. "You need to be hygenic you know. Because of germs.".

I was very confused and later asked my friend if his wife was insane.
    "Nah" he said "She is just stupid. She thinks Irish and Scots don't wash. You know on account of having no hot water in the huts we grew up in."

:|

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Got the 'Lucky charms' comment a while back. :-/ Tosser. Trying to be funny.

Generally don't come across many stupid comments when I'm there tbh...not nearly as many as home here :rolleyes:

hmm..might make a funny thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭lkman

This tread reminds me of the Harry Potter books!! Muggles and wizards..

Anyway, I got some american couple asking me where o'donnell street was once.. they ment O'Connell. When i corrected them they got a better laugh out of it than I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Or if you are in Blarney you may be asked where yoggle is (Youghal) ..

also that guy who lowers people to kiss the Blarney stone earns his money, you should see the size of some of the feckers he has to hold on to :p

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

not an American tourist story, but one about a foreigner none the less. I was at the bottom of Dawson Street and was asked for directions to "town". I tried to ask where in town or what shop/pub etc., but the guy didn't know, just wanted to get to town. Eventually I sent him towards Dame Street and ran away

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

When i was in vegas i wanted to changed some canadian dollars i had from ai previous trip to american dollars....The teller asked me if i was from Canadia? It was all i could do not to laugh in her face

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Why don't we ride cows?

exclaimed an american girl on a student bus from Limerick. Not stupid but certainly drew tears from those of us nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

An American asking my friend a question about his planned trip to Ireland:
    Will there be bulidings and cities in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

The best for last:

Friend of my dads was in the GPO once, at the statue of cu chullain (sp?), and this american saunters up to him, looks at the statue and says, 'hey, was this cuchlan guy your first mailman??' :D

Having said that my gf is american and studying irish history..she knows more about this countrys past than i do... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Duffman wrote:
    This happened a few months ago..

Myself and a friend at the bar, start talking to 2 random American girls.

Girl #1: "So you guys are from Ireland then?"

Us: "Yep"

Girl #1: "Don't you guys have like a famine over there at the moment?"

Us: "Eh.."

Girl #2 to Girl #1: "OMG you're so stupid. Everyone knows that the famine happened like 30 years ago".

On another occasion I watched in McDonalds as a mom told her toddler, "If you don't eat all your fries you won't grow up to be big and strong.." :rolleyes:

I sense you are a complusive liar, judging by your way of typing an "obvious" joke of yours:rolleyes:

Its just made up, unless you have something convincing to tell us, afterall there is nearly 300 milllion Americans some will be incompatitated to retain a normal conversation. Surely you could have spoken to genuine girls :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

This one is not just pricless but a time when you just love to look down and say not the biggest cool nation afterall.

On some weekend away... I was waiting to get on a bus eirann bus to Galway not to far btw. There happen to be a wedding on in this village. When the wedding was over the crowds would be pouring and I got the sense it was an American couple getting married. I was proven right when an American Guy (with sunglasses on on a not so sunny day) :rolleyes: comes up to me at the bus stop, with a bus stop sign, duh, he at the least copped that I was waiting for a bus but couldn't figure where the timetable was. He asked, (in his langauge) HEY THERE MAN, COULD Y' TELL US HOW THE HELL CAN WE GETTA OUT OF THE HERE? (in my head I wanted to either roar laughing or just run away) I replied, yes sir, 2 oclock, He replied, TODAY?, I said yes! THANK MAN, SEE Y' LATERI swear to god it was hideous.

He walked away thinking he was so cool?? wtf

Advertisement