Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid comments by Americans!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Any more dum american comments, there fierce funny:D LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Was in Chicago a few months back, first stop was Michigan Avenue for a bit of shopping. Go into Victoria's Secret and when paying for my items the sales assistant asks me where I'm from. I tell her I'm from Ireland, that I used to live in Chicago, lovely city blah blah blah... then just as I was about to leave the assistant says to me "Your accent is so good". And I'm a bit confused "My accent??" To which she replied "Yes, you speak our language so well!". :eek: I didn't want to embarrass the poor girl so I waited till I was outside the store and laughed my ass off!!!!! :D

When I lived in Chicago and told people I was from Dublin, their reply would be "oh so you live in London".. eh no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Might have posted this elsewhere. When I was buying a simcard, I mentioned that I had brought the phone over from Ireland when I moved. Big mistake!
    I got the following:

Sales: So you come from Ireland? Whats it like there?
    Me: Well house prices are through the roof, everythings expensive and the weather is mild to wet most of the year round.
    Sales: Still though it must be like awesome!
    Me: O_o

I often get the usual "mah great-great-grandadeh was born in Arland! Havent been there yet!"
    My wife has been warning all her friends and co-workers not to mention "what percentage" Irish they are in front of me :D

Just take a look at Jaywalking :) great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Really gets on my tits the sterotypical dumb american view we irish have, yes sure its the country that gave us Jerry Springer, George Bush,

But it also the country that put the first man on the moon, give us most computer applications, gave us the net, took half of ireland when we starving, provide the world with countless medical and technological advances.

I garrentee put a chat show on american TV, made up of knackers, junkies, and people who lead a 'simple life' in the arse end of cork, and they'd all be laughing at us!

I lived in america, my wife american most of the crap we see on irish that protray's America in a bad light or to be dumb, she gets very angry over.

Some of the most intellegent people I know come from America, I have met a few daft ones too, to be honest but sure you'll have that every where.

Considering most of our media comes from the states, and controversy sells is it any wonder?

People laying on hospital trolloys, currupt politicans, bus stops with no shelters, years behind in telecommunications, being ripped off left right and centre, wages no where near matching our cost of living. This is only a taste off what the americans laugh at us over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

On my first visit to Chicago I met a school teacher who believed Canada is to the south of the USA, and that Guam and Puerto Rico are the 51st and 52 states!

• Advertisement

nipplenuts wrote:
    On my first visit to Chicago I met a school teacher who believed Canada is to the south of the USA, and that Guam and Puerto Rico are the 51st and 52 states!

Yeah I think they are US territories :) but not US states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭blueshirt

nipplenuts wrote:

That’s nothing; I actually met a guy in Dublin who thinks Bertie Ahearn is an intellectual. Can you beat that for being off the wall?

dbnavan wrote:
    People laying on hospital trolloys, currupt politicans, bus stops with no shelters, years behind in telecommunications, being ripped off left right and centre, wages no where near matching our cost of living. This is only a taste off what the americans laugh at us over!

Yeah true, good point;) but according to satistics ireland is the best place in the world to live and work:p I saw that in the paper and rte a while back.

Plug wrote:
    Yeah true, good point;) but according to satistics ireland is the best place in the world to live and work:p I saw that in the paper and rte a while back.
    I think you saw that we're somewhere on the list but not the best...

Ah now i,m 100% sure:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Lirange

And anyone that says they are 100% irish without you asking is definatly not irish.

Your irish if you were born here otherwise you have irish relatives and thats it.
    Wouldn't it be so much better if Americans kept on with the old stereotypes of years gone by and were ashamed of any Irish lineage they might have? That way they wouldn't agitate and insult us with their attempts to break the ice in a conversation with their claims to being Irish. They should shove their admiration and naive curiosity up their jacksies. The nerve of these Americans! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

bluewolf wrote:
    I think you saw that we're somewhere on the list but not the best...

dublin was 24th on the list of cities if i recall correctly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mr_G^_^

this thread could continue onto infinity.......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Sigh.. another Americans are idiots thread... seems to me if people posting here believe most americans are as stupid as the comments here then they are in fact the idiots... how many are there.. 300 - 350 million of them? You would think there is a small percentage of that number... small being larger than the population of our country that are in fact stupid!! No more no less than any country!!

Yes i know of Americans who do not have any idea about Ireland or anywhere else... I know of the "how long does it take to drive to Ireland" comments... from My American in-laws who were appalled that there were such idiots in her country.. let alone her family :D

How about we start a thread on how stupid we Irish are when it comes to the US??

For one thing we seem to assume if someone has been to the states they might have bumped into a friend of theirs... without having any concept of just how massive the country is and how many people live there.

Anyway most americans i know.. and i know a LOT!! Speak better english and are probably better educated than Irish i know

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

This thread is in HUMOUR, I don't think its meant to be taken seriously. I think we all know that the majority of Americans are not as thick as two planks. However, some are and its as entertaining to have a laugh at this as it is to laugh at our home grown idiots.:o

True... americans are very well educated and are sound people, but yes a small percentage are dum including Gorge Bush(where probebly going to get nuced now) And anyway saruman this is humour thread not a "dont take the piss from americans" thread. I,m sure the americans have threads on us irish aswel (humour ones);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭happydaz

i suppose it's silly to tar so many people with the same brush...having said that i hate bush and can't believe he's in power. one of my good friends is from the US and she's prob the most clever person i've ever met...but even she cracks stupid amercians type jokes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Rusty Knight

The truth:

Lived in Florida for a couple of years. Girl at local Subway asked me one day;

'Do you live in one of those hairy houses?' Manfully, I just kept a straight face and answered that yes, I did. I also told her that the idea of the thatched roof was to cushion the noise of the raindrops, as it rained non-stop in Ireland, and any other type of roof would deafen you and drive you insane.

She then asked me, very cautiously, if I had ever seen a lepracuan (can't spell it...stupid name anyway...)
    I told her that my brother-in-law bred them on his farm in Ballincolllig, and was a major supplier of Lep-whatevers to the local garden centres.
    I thought I had pushed it too far at that stage, but the conversation continued with questions about what we feed them, where they sleep, are they vicious, etc etc

Somewhere along the way it stopped being funny and I got kinda scared......

Little wonder they voted him in a second time.............

If I had a hat Id take it off, "hairy houses" wtf:confused: haha

True... americans are very well educated and are sound people, but yes a small percentage are dum including Gorge Bush(where probebly going to get nuced now) And anyway saruman this is humour thread not a "dont take the piss from americans" thread. I,m sure the americans have threads on us irish aswel (humour ones)
    Plug wrote:
    True... americans are very well educated and are sound people but yes, a small percentage are dumb including George Bush(we're probably going to get nuked now). And anyway saruman, this is humour thread not a "don't take the piss from americans" thread. I'm sure the americans have threads on us irish aswell (humour ones);)

Dear god man I can excuse one or two mistakes but that's taking the piss. You must have had your teachers crying into their pillows at night. If that's the state of the Irish education system, maybe you have a point about Americans being well educated.

• Advertisement

The truth:

Lived in Florida for a couple of years. Girl at local Subway asked me one day;

'Do you live in one of those hairy houses?' Manfully, I just kept a straight face and answered that yes, I did. I also told her that the idea of the thatched roof was to cushion the noise of the raindrops, as it rained non-stop in Ireland, and any other type of roof would deafen you and drive you insane.

She then asked me, very cautiously, if I had ever seen a lepracuan (can't spell it...stupid name anyway...)
    I told her that my brother-in-law bred them on his farm in Ballincolllig, and was a major supplier of Lep-whatevers to the local garden centres.
    I thought I had pushed it too far at that stage, but the conversation continued with questions about what we feed them, where they sleep, are they vicious, etc etc

Somewhere along the way it stopped being funny and I got kinda scared......

Little wonder they voted him in a second time.............

Ok so u fill her full of shi*e, then she goes off and tells 5 more people that i an who cant even spell leprechauns has them in his garden, they one believe her cause an Irish guy told them, so it carries on or 2 they are properly educated and tell her what a plonker she listened too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

I've gotten "I'm half Irish, half Italian, half American"

Dear god man I can excuse one or two mistakes but that's taking the piss. You must have had your teachers crying into their pillows at night. If that's the state of the Irish education system, maybe you have a point about Americans being well educated.
    This is humour thread not a grammer thread:rolleyes:

Linoge wrote:
    she must have been really fat if she's one and a half people

Plug wrote:

grammar

sorry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Linoge wrote:

I've heard far worse than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Plug wrote:

grammar

sorry :)
    LOL

Wasn't the net invented in Switzerland? (Someone said it was the US, a few posts ago, while saying America was great)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

When I was 13, I told a waitress in Florida I was Irish,
    she replied "oh, how is everything over in Britan"
    I gagged her with a tri-colour and blew her knees off.

but seriously the first bit is true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Plug wrote:

People like you give me a pain in my face.

www.dictionary.com

Use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Diarmsquid wrote:
    LOL

Wasn't the net invented in Switzerland? (Someone said it was the US, a few posts ago, while saying America was great)
    WWW was invented by some CERN guy, iirc Too tired now to google it

• Advertisement

Linoge wrote:
    I know an Irish woman who claims to be half Italian cause she lived there 10 years.

(just describes her intellect)

Advertisement